HUD Feedback Thread!

Looks good. Walking in stations next.

Ha that would be cool, one could buy one of those mini-LCDs and put it somewhere on the desk. But I’d argue the same would be convenient for pretty much all UI elements, from chats to overview

Ok here is something you might want to add. I’m a miner and combat mission runner. Fed up with gankers. So instead of saying i don’t want them in the game, can you add some visuals that respond to attacks that are not visible in front of me and which i don’t always have to look at the right side of the panel.

For e.g. the ship might be behind or the side of me, so as it’s attacking me make the visual side of the hud flash/blink or pulse. The very first thing in your sight is the center of the screen and so is the hud. as your visibly looking in front and the hud is in sight without eye movement you notice that someone is attacking you because the hud is pulsating/flashing etc..

This gives you quick awareness reaction time and your brain will trigger the next stepp without the need of so much eye movement. Difficult to explain but i hope you get what i’m saying.

I just read the dev blog and to be honest I don’t want more stuff on the screen as I find it too cluttered as it is despite making everything as small as possible.

4 Likes

I have no sympathy with multiboxers who struggle.

But it’s good that you made an app to interface with the game itself, does FC know about it, is it legal?

1 Like

I agree.

I don’t need the overheat button, not once in 13 years have I overheated a module, I’m not sure I have nano tech actually levelled up.

They need to give us the option of removing parts of the HUD we’ll never use.

Like the mini map that is just a waste of screen space.

1 Like

I already stated in two posting on the thread “New HUD?”;
a) there is no reason for this change.
b) it would not improve the game.

I am proven correct on both accounts. I’ve had experience with this kind of change before as I commented on Photon. I won’t waste my time attempting to bend the tin ear of the FC developers.

A. There is no reason for this change.
Out of the UI this element is working as intended, it is not broken, or hard to comprehend. They reworked the 2D menus a few years ago and said it was perfect, we are now forced to use their idea of perfection. There are many broken 2D UI elements in this game, not one of those are being addressed, this is a diversion.

B. It will not improve the game.
I know better than to ask the FC developers, so to the players, both old and new; Show me what element has improved on the new HUD. From left to right on this HUD, here is my opinion…

Utility
Cargo indicator - Still pointless and still big as life.
Mining Scan - relocated to the left, only available on mining ships, wasted area on all others.
Tiny Autopilot Button - Pointless.
Camera Button - really lacking here I would at least hope I can swap to strategic view here.

Speed
Safety / Security Status - The lightbulb works, red, yellow, green. Replaced vague bulb with vague row of lights, Also this item has nothing to do with speed.
Vertical Speedometer - Not much of a change, they could have left it on the medallion.

Medallion
Elements - Shields. Armor, and Hull more confusing than before.
Capacitor - This is suppose to be a gage on a console, I am not looking directly into a nuclear core.

Modules
Everything in this section looks bad, did they resize the icons even smaller?

Map
I desire larger icons buttons left of the radar to be the size they were before, I do were reading glasses.
The Map - Redundant and pointless. I hope this is not going to replace the local map? I cannot find any meaning in the developer blog for the 3 circle icons on the far right. I assume it is a mode for the radar?

Not only is this unappealing, it is more confusing to look at than before. Players please tell me what part has you all giddy about this alteration? I assume FC had a meeting and asked, “What is still functional in this game?”, someone answered, “The HUD sir!”. The reply was, “Get AI to work on fixing it right away!”

o7

9 Likes

Why should it though?

We used to be able to switch to the old map so why can’t we switch to the old HUD.

I rarely use the in game map so maybe they removed that option?

You are under the impression that it’s to be done to improve gameplay…that’s your first mistake, CCP(whatever) cares nothing about gameplay, they only care about making Money.

3 Likes

I don’t know a single player that gets surprised when..

Their armour and hull get chewed through quickly when their shield tank goes boom.

Or someone using armour tank loses their shield quickly, or the hull goes boom when their armour is gone.

1 Like

No tracking visualizer?

I like the direction. I’m colorblind and have a really hard time with the UI elements. Using shapes is the way to go, but I would discourage, if you can, the washed out colors.

I think some of the comments are a bit ridiculous. You’re not actually “overheating”, that’s a player collquialism. You’re overloading, presumably a higher voltage, and the lightning icon makes sense. I hardly ever overload and when I do it’s on accident, probably from hitting the part of the button that until today I had no idea caused overload.

The overload status, however, is washed out red on washed out black, so very, very hard to see. It does help that the colors swap, but a white outline would go a long way here. Or grey, if you must make it dim.

The shape of overloading is much better, but it’s not nearly enough. It looked fine in the video, but you have green and red on grey/black…it’s too hard to see. I’d suggest making the notches stick out from the edges a bit, and either make them with more contrast with dark backgrounds or allowing a color swap. The idea is good though, look at Path of Exile’s Gem Sockets for ideas.

Contrary to people who think it’s less visible, it is literally invisible right now. I cannot see at all if my modules are overloaded. I do worry that the damage will be another instance of dark washed out red on washed out black. Worst case scenario.

I like the direction, but be sure you actually talk to colorblind players. If you can’t play it in greyscale, it’s not good enough.

2 Likes

In more educated countries a dot means a full stop, end of sentence/sequence.

A comma means there’s more to come and the sequence will carry on.

100,000,000 rather than..

100.000.000

:wink:

1 Like

will it increase the Recommended hw for the game?

Strongly disagree with the HUD rework,
because current one IS FINE.

It is, however, might be improved by tweaking particular elements, but brand new overhaul?.. pointless.

Unless.

Sales dept. said that it will somehow improve financials, by addressing younger players who are used to play mobile games and OK with “flat” interface.

Also, putting out unrefined neuroslopic stuff is big disrespect tow playerbase - human designer would NEVER make capacitor and shield/arm/hull bars AS BRIGHT, because he or she will take into consideration whole pallette.. well, who am I talking to..

5 Likes

Hmmm seems kinda meh to me.

A few minor improvements

A few minor unimprovements

A whole host of change for no real reason.

The old HUD worked pretty well, we’re all used to it, why fix things which aren’t broken?

4 Likes

As a casual player, this is a massive improvement for me. I do understand why veteran players aren’t fond of it, though. Still, it will definitely help bring new players in. I know a lot of people see the minimap as useless, but as a new player, having zero clue where the hell your ship is actually floating is a big deal. Same goes for solar system awareness.

3 Likes

Indeed, where is the hamburger menu? Knowing CCP, they will push all these important options in an arcane menu that is just as hard to use as Photon UI.

1 Like

Old UI option available for a monthly fee in the CA$H shop when? :thinking:

:psyccp: :smiling_face_with_horns: :popcorn:

2 Likes

Please, don’t listen to the old-timers.
Your current UI is bad — it’s terrible everywhere, in every aspect, the old-timers are just used to it and think it’s fine. But working with the game is unpleasant for me. Everyone’s gotten used to some windows taking >1s to open, and some starting to lag just for the fun of it. Everyone’s gotten used to the zone-based (local) hotkeys. They’re fine with it, they’ve been eating this up and will keep eating it up, so there’s no need to listen to them, please :slight_smile:

I won’t go off on a tangent about the game’s other interfaces, since we’re talking about the hotkey panel here.

The idea of custom items from the inventory plus hotkeys is interesting — although for some reason I’m sure that, as usual, you’ll either NOT do it or HALF do it, and this functionality will crack under 2 or more boosters. Well, somebody gave birth to the current UI, and I suspect those same people still work for you, so I can’t assume you’re capable of doing it properly.

The overheat indication is already a maximally awful mechanic in the current implementation in terms of informativeness, and something tells me you still won’t solve this problem either, yeah.

Shield, arm, hull —
I still don’t understand what you’re visualizing there and how you’re trying to show that my shield pool is smaller than my armor pool, but something tells me that in the end you’ll do it badly again. Probably because it’s hard for you to make a dynamic sector size that depends on the overall percentage and all that. We won’t even mention that you already have the perfect split for this in the screenshots. No, don’t — let it be like with the map: first we’ll do 1.5v, and then, well, we’ll eventually do 2.0.0rc after all — people need work to do, right?

Cooldown as a number is nice; I hope you won’t break the tooltips and I’ll still be able to see what ammo type is loaded in my gun while it’s on cooldown, yeah?

The preheat buttons… wow, what power, and how much space they’ve been given — because making the progress bars themselves display the rack’s heat is beyond you, right? You need to make a whole separate little button instead of making the bar itself the button. Well, fine.

The minimap… well, we’ve got 2.5D space here, okay, but it seems like this might be something that maybe shouldn’t be done — though I’m not very competent here, so I’ll bow out of the minimap topic.

You have only 3 types of things in the game that can now go on the action bar: an activatable item from the fit, a non-activatable item from the fit, and an activatable item from cargo. Something tells me your specialists will NOT be able to make a unified action bar system that would let me put anything anywhere, on any hotkey, and also hide anything.

I’m sorry — maybe I was overly toxic, but I treat the people who made your game the way the game treats me, and interacting with the game is painful for me in practically every aspect.
But the folks who made the new map and the proper grid view for it — good job, shame it took two tries. Maybe EVE 2 after all, eh?

Oh right, I forgot the most important thing — don’t make another UI, just pretend you forgot about it, so you can make it later and people have work for longer. Hi to the fighters.

2 Likes