Ice Harvesting 2 for Alphas

Exactly! It’s happening so I can see the venture being able to harvest ice (maybe with no bonuses) but alphas being limited to use T1 ice mining lasers.

CCP could also be releasing a new Tech I Mining Frigate that could only fit one ice mining laser as well.

I can see your point in not giving them any bonuses to ice mining lasers since they can fit two but I believe that they should have the the ability to at least to fit them. I think the speculation that there will be endless fleets of them is just paranoia.

Haha your numbers are way off here for what an Alpha can mine ore wise. With their max skills and modules, an Alpha can mine over 350m3 of of ore in 60 seconds. However, I can see your point in that ice harvesting would be lucrative in some cases but why is that such an issue?

Are you sure that all Alphas are getting it? Or that it will be included as one of the mining lasers that alphas who used to be omegas, can use. Cause those two are not necessarily the same thing.

But the fact that ice mining lasers can only be fit on Expedition frigates(it says so in the descriptions) means that CCP considers it to be a step above regular ore and gas mining. Much like how the fighter drones are considered a step above regular drones and can only be fit on carriers/supers.

Again, if you want to say “naw, lets ignore the current facts regarding ice mining and make it so that it should be treated equally with the rest of the ores, in terms of alpha usage”, then, again, i find no difference between this and saying "naw, lets ignore the current facts regarding combat ships and make it so that carriers and capitals are treated equally with other combat ships in terms of alpha usage.

CCP has made the distinction. The numbers dont lie(More on this later, though). Alphas feel left out that they cant mine ice? im sure they feel left out that they cant fly carriers too. In which case, sub.

Once again lol, participating in an activity and flying a certain class of ship are two completely different things.

Actually, no.

First off, im comparing 1 mining laser to 1 ice mining laser with no support modules or boosts, because, if we were to apply it to one, we would have to apply it to the other, and therefore it would even itself out.

Secondly, my 72 million skillpoint omega with crappy crappy skills in mining, does around 92 m3 per 60s with each mining laser, so my estimation was apt.

So no, in almost every case, mining ice is more lucrative.

Now, onto your second point. The reason why this is an issue, is something we talked about before. Alphas are able to do what Omegas can do, at a reduced speed. This is all-inclusive.

An Omega account should be able to make more isk, whether it be mission running or mining. An omega account, should be superior to an alpha account. As i stated before, not only does ice mining almost necessarily garner more isk with little effort and difference between regular ore mining, its also considered a higher tier of ore.

Mining a certain class of resource and flying a certain class of ship are two completely similar things.

You keep saying that Alphas wont be able to participate in ice mining. Why not?

Can they not guard you in a combat ship while you mine?
Can they not scout and provide warp-ins for you?

There are other things to do in an ice belt, other than mine ice. Much like there are other things to do in a capital fleet ops, other than flying a capital.

If you dont think the comparison is apt, then your argument is invalid. There are other things an Alpha can do in an ice belt, other than mine ice.

Ultimately, we will see what happens next month whether they will be able to or not. My feeling is that they are going to allow it.

Lol I’m done trying to discuss this topic with someone who has not making any sense. We will see what happens next month.

For miners who had an omega account and all the skills already, sure. But to change the venture and the ice mining laser or introduce a new T1 class of ice mining ships is a far larger overhaul, and i doubt CCP will do this.

Again, if you dont like that your alpha friend cant participate in ice mining ops, then let him join in as a ratter or scout. Theres nothing wrong with that. We used to let noobs tag along in L4s all the time and get free standings and isk despite the fact that they contributed almost nothing in terms of dps.

You: “This is an ice mining op. An Alpha cant mine ice, so he cant participate.”
Alpha: “But I can rat, i can salvage and loot too”
You: “Oh right, i forgot about that. Sure, you can come”.

You: “This is a Capital op. An Alpha cant fly a carrier, so he cant participate”
Alpha: “But i can fly tackle and help scout”
You: “Oh right, i was being an idiot. Sure, you can come”.

Right, completely different.

The sad face of a defeated man who cant admit his own failures. Bye.

Okay well fly safe o7 lol

Listen mate, the reason they are giving you Ice Harvesting II, is because its needed to use ice harvesting drones. its that simple. Some prerequisites for when you wanna go omega.
However, you are not getting ice harvesting drones, so you can in fact, not really use ice harvesting anyway, as an alpha.

even if you were omega and dropped down to alpha with ice mining, you still wouldn’t be able to pilot a ship that can use mining lasers because they are all omega. and I looked at the skill list and it is one of the skills you can train up to.

Come Dec you no longer have to train up the skills you have open right now, on a new alpha if I wanted a Omni race frig pilot for pvp I could train all 4 races of frigates because I can, so it is a skill you can train up to for ice mining and either way there is no way to ice mine because of the lack of ships.

At EVE Vegas during the Ships & Modules roundtable, CCP did say they had talks with the CSM about adding another Tech I mining ship that would be between a venture and a minIng barge. It would be available to Alphas so I’m guessing it might be able to fit 1 strip miner or 1 ice harvester.

2 Likes

that’d fit the bill if they do. so im guessing itll be bigger than a venture and maybe only fit the miner and not the harvester.

I can see it being able to fit both but not being as good as a mining barge or an expedition frigate.

Oh, my understanding with the december release is that up to 20 million skillpoints, the alphas that used to be omegas can use a vast array of ships and skills, including t2 weapons. I have no idea what the list of skills are, but someone in this thread was talking about as if they were gonna allow Ice miners and/or maybe even the t2 expedition frigates.

yes the dev blog shows ice mining 2 but no ships capable for it as you can still only do venture, according to another guy here, on a stream ccp were talking about making a inbetween a venture and barge.

https://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/clone-states-the-next-steps/

will help