If the number of players on the server is not higher by this time next year

See this post:

About half of the negative reviews (and a portion of positive ones) are complaints that the game costs money. People want to have the game entirely for free. This is a consistent sentiment for many games, and not just EVE. In part this is justified with “things are too expensive these days, so at least games should be entirely free,” and in part “if I can just go and download torrents of my favorite games, why should I have to pay anything here?”

If you cut away the price complainers from the data set (since it appears to be a “gamer constant” of sorts), you’re left with about 80% of negative reviews for EVE that specifically mention PvP (a.k.a. “griefing”) as the specific cause of dissatisfaction. Contemporary gamers aren’t generally interested in competitive/heads-up gameplay. Some are, which is why various FPS and fighting games still exist, but the proportion of supporters for such genres is a much lower percentage of the whole compared to, say, 20 years ago. Most gamers today just want to accumulate in solitude.

Do I feel that EVE should be changed? Absolutely not. I’m just trying to make an objective observation. If CCP wants to grow EVE, they need to immediately add a PvP toggle/flag, in all areas of space, and conduct a concerted marketing push to let the world know that they did it.

1 Like