Idea: Blackout Deployable for use in nullsec
- A lot of people want blackout to be reintroduced in some form or another.
- One idea that has been previously raised is to anchor a module in a system (at most one at a time) to blackout the system while the deployable is active.
- Whenever the blackout deployable is active, a beacon is visible in the Overview that anyone can warp to either
- destroy it because blackout hurts their opsec
- defend it because blackout helps their opsec
- or attack whoever shows up because they don’t care one way or another but love PVP and NPSI fleets are fun.
- It would serve as a great PVP magnet just like the previous deployable ESS did before being replaced by permanent ESS, and also makes PVP more exciting for hunters and prey and mutual foes alike given that the system can be blacked out or lit up again at (almost) any time.
- In order to prevent near-constant blackouts with a redeployment of a blackout deployable upon the destruction of the last one, there could be an anchoring timer where the blackout doesn’t actually take effect until it is fully anchored, but the beacon still spawns so that the PVP magnet kicks in from the very beginning. So while you could begin anchoring a blackout deployable immediately upon the destruction of the old one, the blackout itself wouldn’t kick in for quite some time afterward (eg. 15 minutes)
The community is split over whether or not nullsec blackout (in some form or other) is good or bad - now you can duke out your differences in opinion out on the battlefield and exert control over the visibility of Local in nullsec. The only real losers with this idea are the thieves who will no longer get away with their ill-gotten gains… but really, ESS was about PVP (and nerfing bounties, which can still be done alongside this change) more than it was about one person scoring ISK.
(Edit: This post has been revised in light of CCP’s announcement of “Permanent ESS”. The original post suggested replacing deployable ESS with deployable blackout; however, since ESS will continue to exist in non-deployable form per recent CCP announcement, ESS does not need to be replaced but can co-exist with this blackout deployable.)