Introducing Exordium!

As I don’t yet know what people will (be able to) do there I will give feedback to what I already see:

When I look at the map, the Region looks just lame. Zero effort, ‘let’s get some new area for new players’. That makes me really sad. It started with Triglavian space, well I do get the ‘tri’. And Exordium is even less natural. The rest of the map ‘feels’ like space, vast, irregular, scattered. But Exordium just looks like some cardboard game. I wish CCP had put a little more effort into it.

6 Likes

Yeah, I just completed one set of Career Agents on an alt character and ended up with 9 ships:

1x Combat Destroyer - Thrasher
1x Logistics Frigate - Burst
1x Exploration Frigate - Probe
1x Combat Frigate - Slasher
1x Combat Frigate - Rifter
2x Mining Frigate - Venture
2x Industrial Hauler - Wreathe

Not to mention a bunch of other stuff, course most of which are Civilian Modules… (I think Civilian items should be replaced with Tech 1 items)

Anyway, in my opinion CCP making the Faction Shipcastors a one time use is a big mistake… All that does is increase the amount of time required for new players to transport their stuff via Yulai system, ultimately making Yulai and connecting systems a chokepoint kill zone..

And even if that’s not the case, just the amount of time required to move their assets to a new base will be enough to decrease new player interest in playing Eve..

Even if they don’t move all of their ships, they’ll probably want to move at least 5 of them… So yeah, making the New Region have one access point just needlessly wastes their time, definitely a good way to discourage player retention..

1 Like

In 2D view, you’re getting synthetic presentation of all star systems. If you switch to 3D, then you see the actual topology.

In-universe, these systems weren’t dicovered naturally. CONCORD and AIR picked these systems with intention to create these new constellations, so it doesn’t look “natural”, because it’s not. It looks realistic.
I’m not sure what else could’ve been done, besides scattering these systems around more, but that wouldn’t necessarily make more sense, because creating new constellations in multiple areas would require more in-universe effort, I assume.

4 Likes

I hope you understood the difference between 2D and 3D modes of the map from the explanation of the post above mine. However i find it also interesting on how many people like your post and seemingly also don’t understand the differences and what 2D mode actually depicts. It should be pretty forward to understand and also was explained when it was introduced.

Haven’t you ever wondered why ombeys EVE maps differs from Dotlan and similar efforts? They are detached from nature and only give a logical representation of key features as executed by their individual placing algorithms.
In short the 2D map depicts stargate connections created by CONCORD to establish the intended space for the newbies in an easily human understandable way and not the natural placement of the planets as in 3D mode.

You can switch to 3D mode again on the bottom right of the map.

3 Likes

We understand the difference between the 2D and 3D maps. We understand the systems appear more organically distributed in the 3D map. We say this does not change how bad this looks on the 2D map.

Why/how does it look “bad”? It is just different.


VS

2 Likes

You see how these two look different?

These both are represented in the same 2D layout.

One maps a region which developed naturally over time. The other, maps a recently created symmetric region; with a central hub and four faction constellations. They are different.

It’s like looking at arial photography of European and American cities:


They’re just different.

Your picture again is the artificial block layout in 2D that does not show natural aspects, because this is the nature of the 2D layout as described above. Just look around the 2D map, there are many more strange figures…not only Exordium and Trig-Space…you will find all kinds of other shapes.

Below is the same Exordium layout in 3D - looks very natural to me…different length of distances, different placement of suns/systems compared to each other…i gave you two different angles, because it is not easy in 3D, because it is not overly artificial:

The lines and their placement however is artificial by purpose, because these depict the CONCORD installed jumpgate connections. And those were placed to create a certain topology.

It seems you still have problems to grasp the difference between 2D and 3D modes and what they depict and how we tried to explain it above?

I urge you both to again look at the map of Heimatar I posted. It seems you might have some trouble understanding what I’m saying, but not to worry, I’m used to working with the intellectually impaired, I don’t mind explaining this as many times as it takes. Don’t feel bad for not understanding it right away, okay?

Heimatar in the 3D map looks just as random as any other region, including Exordium. But in the 2D map, you can see it doesn’t form nice symmetrical shapes. It looks like a region that was grown organically around the local topography, with natural chokepoints. In the bottom left, you can see a constellation that looks somewhat symmetrical, but if you examine it closely, you can see that it is not, a connection is in fact missing between Auga and Lantorn. If Heimatar were made the way Exordium was made, Auga and Lantorn would be connected. There would also be a little pyramic like this in each corner of the region. I chose Heimatar for this example specifically because unlike most regions, it has this specific constellation that slightly resembles Exordium, but the fact that it still isn’t “perfect” and symmetrical makes it look much better than the new Exordium region.

Do you understand now or would you like me to repeat this again, maybe with simpler words? Again don’t worry if you still don’t understand, I’m patient and just want to help you both see what the issue is.

Here a symmetrical structure right out of your Heimatar example:

If you look around you find many more and weirder ones, because that is how the 2D placing algorithm works.

Because in this view it is only interesting on how the systems are connected, not how the systems are placed relative to each other in absulute natural distance and layout as in 3D natural mode. The placing of jump connections is something CONCORD aka humans made and this is the aspect that is shown in 2D…no distances, just topology.

I mean just look at Pochven…Pochven consists of systems from all over New Eden that were conquered. Those systems were not moved, only new jump connections were installed by the triglavians…the systems are still where they used to be and scattered all around New Eden.

Correct. That’s because nobody needed or cared to create symmetrical stargate connections in Heimatar, bud did so in Exordium. Any region could be made into a symmetric one, (we might need a liberty of adding or tossing a few solar systems.)

Right, but it is not made that way, because nobody needed 4 equal sides in Heimatar. But the idea with Exordium is that it has a constellation with an embassy for each faction, hence the symmetry.

Your issue seems to be with CONCORD and AIR, chosing to create equal constellations for the four factions, which automatically makes the design of Exordium symmetric. What I don’t understand is why is that such a big problem? Some things just are symmetric, equal and fair.

So what do you suggest, should we disable some Caldari or Amarr stargates, or..?

1 Like

The main difference between Exordium and any other region is that is it made with a different purpose. Heimatar is connecting rich resource systems (mostly back before the collapse of the EVE gate) before the empires repaired them, and some later ones were added to the network millennia later. Exordium is connecting systems that are not resource rich and selected for the purpose of being an Embassy, and training ground, and weren’t placed by terrans.

3 Likes

Whatever you’re trying to communicate, is entirely lost to your patronizing and disingenuous comments and tone.

Exoridum is not that serious. Its just a starter zone like the likes of Wow’s many starter zones, RuneScape’s tutorial island or many other tutorial zones to teach mechanics.

1 Like

Still no need for it to be pony.

1 Like

I was merely replying in the same tone.

Can you clarify by what you mean as a pony?

A pony as, something that is treated like a prize?

Probably best to bring the conversation back to CCP Swift’s original post.

Heh, intersting point. I wonder if I should consider carrying newbros ships clear of Exo in the Bus

m

4 Likes

I’m thinking that your nickname is pony

Shugs