That was 300 posts ago, I don’t expect you to live on these forums, I guess a few do. My thoughts, the new region will be a sponge. The flow of pinatas will ebb when they are allowed the first 30 days of this safe haven. But then the sponge won’t stop the overflow and those who avoid the educational tools you offer them. I just don’t see this as a positive or negative as to what was working before. Pochven was much the same thing – but polar opposite – so I guess it is good you placed them on the map in the middle. In the future, players will ignore both.
I fully comprehend it is an uphill hike trying to get new players to come here and stay longer than a week or two. I just don’t see this as being a very likely solution. You had a pretty good hook going, open world PvP where you are a target on day one. Sad to say, EVE will no longer hold that as a unique design over other PvP MMOs.
Although being ganked the first time is make or break for most players.
The Griefing (Seal Clubbing) is another issue that may or may not be fixed by this new space.
But I feel the changes to EVE will be more profound, and the issues of in particular “Influence Warfare” in Exordium. As now all potential warm bodies are in the one centralized location in EVE, is too tempting a target for people to “Black-pill” or “Red-pill” future new EVE players.
And the fact that EVE’s “bad boy” image surrounding doxxing/scams/RMT and other sheenigans has kept alot of potential players away is another thing. Considering also that Exordium is even more concentrated than the old “schools” system. I have my concerns about how quickly some people will be either put off, or confused by EVE ecosystem/culture outside of Exordium.
Nobody does this. Since it is not happening, no new space can fix that.
Just as I don’t expect of ganghaters and anti-gankers drop the “think of new bros” and “we are losing new players due to the ganking” narratives with this new space. In fact I bet they will cry even more because they can see it is working.
I second the need for elaboration. At first i thought it was some kind of a matrix reference, but the colors didn’t match and thus i was on an hour long pill color definition research trip of popular sayings with red, black and blue pills and whatnot. When the black pill definition hit some “incel” topic, of which i also needed to look up the definition, i was done with the topic research.
So please @MILINT_ARC_Trooper, clarify what you want to say or what the pill colors are and what you want to express with relation to EVE - better yet, if it is the case that you are not firm in movie knowledge, please describe directly what you mean so you don’t confuse everyone.
The only thing I’m seeing here is a bunch of “I’m terrible at actual PvP so I’m going to grief people who don’t know how to play” people complaining about a zone they can’t grief newbies in. Are you all really that sad over a mechanic that stops you from stealing a handful of Veldspar from that unprotected Venture you so strongly and menacingly defeated like the big scary pirate you are that you forget that you can do it in LITERALLY ANY OTHER ZONE?
This new starting zone is a good idea because it stops new players from suffering against griefers and quitting the game early. I for one enjoy actually enjoying the game without being ganked every 10 minutes because you have nothing better to do. IT KEEPS ME IN THE GAME.
High-sec recently had some features removed to make it safer for new players, such as pirate forward operating bases, roaming Drifters, and Triglavian gatecamps. Now that Exordium will be the safe place for new players, would it be possible for the rest of high-sec to have those features back?
Your only pvp history is losing two rorquals in lowsec within two days 12 months ago.
First of all, that is not a gank. Second it doesn’t look like you are getting ganked every 10 minutes. Third, even if someone wanted to periodically hunt you and gank you over and over again they would need much more than 10 minutes to keep doing it in 99% of cases.
So they quit slightly later. This changes nothing for the rest of us, if anything it makes interacting with newbies in positive way much harder than before. This is strictly bussiness decision and has two goals:
To make more money. Since nobody will ever be able to gank the new players even if they are 30 days old if they stay in this protected space, it is likely that they might play this game slightly longer than they would play it right now. Ie. your argument. And as such they might be spending more money to play the game. Not very likely since the new player mindset is always “I want to play it for free and farm ISK to PLEX my account”, but possible.
To cater to the gankhater and antiganker crowd that constantly and relentlessly keeps crying about how ganking is bad, wrong and ruins otherwise great (idle) game. Unfortunately, that will only make them cry even more as we already witnessed with tons of previous nerfs to the ganking.
New players staying in Exordium will bring nothing to the game. And when they finally leave with everything they farmed for entire month to sell it to Jita and get ganked. They will ragequit much more likely than right now.
Griefing new players is not happenning. Perhaps one of the few players who are ganking autopilotting rookie ships, shittles and pot could kill new player, but it won’t be their intention. Nobody does it because new players don’t have anything worth to sacrifice the security status or time you can’t play for. And if they have and they carry LSI in rookie ship to sell it at Jita, or 2B stuff in Tayra they probably aren’t new players. Either way, even if it would happen. Then the sooner the better. Because if the player has nothing to lose, then he shouldn’t be mad and ragequit over it. And if he does ragequit because someone killed his empty rookie ship and 5mil pod, well. such player was never cut for this game from the beginning and would ragequit over next “unfairness” which is EVE full of.
This game is not for everyone and we shouldn’t be trying to make it for everyone either because then it loses its charm.
Which has been my concern. The cultural shock of entering the whole game. Then either not understanding or listening that out in the wider game. You are going to lose ships. The first time I and my wife was literally chased from one system to another. I had been playing for almost a year and the wife had started about 5 - 6 months after I had.
Where my reservations in all this lies. How long does a new player get to stay in the starter systems. Are they forced out? Will they be some how incentivized to enter the wider game? When a new player does enter the game. What is going to prepare them from the month or so playing in a safe area. Now having to swim with the sharks.
My reservations on this is that, much like you, they only quit later. Now royally pissed that EVE does mean Everyone Versus Everyone. That while I agree something has to be done for player retention. At the same time. I question the wisdom of a kiddie pool, That then dumps a player into the deep end. To sink or swim anyways.
Eve Uni and such teachie/learnie corps are all good and fine, but it still leaves a lot of players. That are going to ignore or believe they do not have to join any Corp to learn the game.
@CCP_Swift May I suggest making some of the game play a little less tedious. Open up some of the exploration skills to Alpha so that newbies can scan faster and a little easier. The hacking part can stay the same, but making it quicker to engage and get to hack a little quicker.