And it was based on some bittervet whining to the Beeb after he came to his senses about his own stupidity. Still think FC need a better spokesman!
£6,000 over 10 years works out to £50/month, but the reality doesn’t sell subscriptions. His “high-earner” friend probably spent 3x that amount (£150 being equivalent to a few nights out at the pub).
Most of that £400k lost was probably mined and manufactured for pennies.
Interesting read - but mostly bullsh*t.
Yea, just as i figured. ![]()
![]()
The point remains that it is nevertheless bad publicity that the game does not need.
That’s a dumb argument. Literally the ENTIRE GAME and gameplay loop revolves around shooting other players. All areas of EVE are for shooting other players, some with more, others with fewer restrictions. Shooting players and fleecing other players is what makes EVE the game it markets itself as. Shooting other players is what makes the game work. Without shooting other players, everything breaks down as mission rewards become worthless, ships become worthless, minerals become worthless as there is no more consumption and demand for that stuff.
Introducing new players to a completely different game is not going to make them want to play more. They will be all the more frustrated when they leave their Safe Game and enter the actual EVE.
No, but they will need a longer time to realize that while their wallets are being milked
Well, if you know me, you probably know what I am about to say.
This sad man child lost $8,000 USD / 6,000 pounds, in this game? Poor baby, it was your choice to spend that money. No Eve player or Eve developer passed you the roach clip for a toke, they didn’t jab a needle in your vein to make you a junkie. The press loves word play using buzz words like game addiction. The game might be a habit at best but game habit doesn’t sell the news.
addiction - physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma and withdrawal symptoms.
habit - an acquired behavior pattern regularly followed until it has become almost involuntary.
I have spent well over $500 USD on the original Guild Wars trilogy and Eye of the North expansion. Then I blew well over $1,500 USD on Black Desert and continue to spend more there. Eve Online? I have spent no cash monies here since I started playing. If this game were truly “addictive”, then why am I immune? I spend money where I see entertainment value.
I guess because I have several streaming subs ( Disney+, Paramount+, and NetFlix) I must be addicted to entertainment. God help me! From what I read in that article, the man is 27 and needs a financial advisor and not the Betty Ford Clinic.
However I think this article could be hype driven by Fenris to push the game into the media. Fluff stories don’t get as much attention as gritty controversy does. Horror movies of the past century did better at the box office when a church spoke out against it.
Have fun!
Spending several hundred pounds a year on your hobby is completely normal, standard and expected.
The eye-catching headline numbers for EvE battles and campaigns are, and always have been, fairly meaningless. That’s the amount of money you’d need to spend in PLEX if you wanted to buy all the lost materiel at once, at current Jita prices, and no-one in game does that, there’s more efficient ways to make the ISK, where you turn fun/content into ISK and then the real world cash value is zero, or maybe negative.
This new sub topic of game addiction makes me question something…
I guess they do, but I would have to move to Korea. If they had something like that here, I would be in there signing up for the program. Then I could claim it caused some kind of disability. I could never work a job and would need regular game transfusions on a daily basis.
You forgot to enable Agents, missions… EVERYTHING in the new area.
Hoe about posting that in the official known issues thread??
Set a course to the AIR station in Sagacity or don’t? Whatever floats your boat?
Is that a new city? What happened to the Titan ?
Was I too late to tag for the piñata?
Why don’t pilots comment about this in local?
Either they were shocked into silence or they’re just gready…
If you don’t know what something is, then there is a great feature in the client since 2014…on the top left you can find a search field labeled “Search for anything”
Once you input any sequence of numbers and characters there, it will try to match it against any object type in EVE and you will know what it is that you are searching for…
Just curious… does anyone actually like the idea of exoridum?
I’m vehemently opposed to the idea of safe spaces in EVE. Especially when every time CCP discussed Exordium they prefaced it by saying newbies aren’t quitting because of being ganked. It already wasn’t an issue, so why do we need a safe space?
Wait what? I know of at least 7 people who quit at the first time their retriever got ganked. Presumably such people weren’t long term players anyways. For a long time I thought the game was healthy since enough people appreatite the game for what it is. I am fine with ganking in game (the killright system could use some refinining, but the concept is right). When they introduced exordium, I assumed I was wrong and new players must be leaving because of ganks. But now you told me they said that wasn’t the problem… so we got this new region that nerfed all old 1.0 systems when ganking wasn’t an issue. What
So… how often have you personally ganked anyone in the OLD 1.0 space (before Exortium)? I’m not talking about 1.0 now. I’m asking if you’ve ganked any ships in the last 23 years in 1.0 space.
I’m betting it didn’t happen too often for anyone aside from suspect hunting, but that’s not what I’m asking.
And then, ask yourself if there’s a difference between you ganking in old 1.0 and new 1.0
Is there a difference?
(I’m only asking because I’m hoping that, at some point, people stop making posts about how terrible it is that they can no longer gank in a system that hardly anyone ever ganked)
