Introducing Quasar

The client uses the same technique as the server: a separate thread for transmission and serialization.

Chat is a more complex problem and a good example of why Quasar is so important. Chat is not actually separate. There are tentacles from the monolith that are still attached which result in the issues that are present. We are definitely targeting those.

3 Likes

Quasar, itā€™s all spinā€¦

Someone had to say it

Me reading this dev blog

what

7 Likes

This is true for asynchronous features like activity tracker, but Iā€™m concerned about gameplay. Because today the messaging is synchronized with the simulation thread, slowing it down, but also ensures that things are communicated in time to the clients.

If the server offloads messaging to be able to compute faster, the number of messages increases further, but still need to be delivered in time to all clients within the short timeframe of a tick. What if not all messages can be delivered within 1s to all clients? Today TQ would slow down simulation. Will the new message system then feedback to the simulation to hold for the moment?

I read that CPC_Chimichanga is aware of that, but itā€™s not an easy problem. I donā€™t think that all these messaging systems are meant for realtime applications.

BTW, probably unrelated as the database is involved. But the most annoying issue for me right now is, that when I open Assets, my client freezes for 10s, same when I then use search, hence doing it while not docked would likely get me killed. Is there any way to make that not blocking the whole client?

1 Like

Show us on the Tranquility Server Dollā„¢ where the fat bee touched you.

I love when CCP talks dirty.

Please, Please, Please,

Do talk more about this behind the scenes type of work you guys do, although it is not easy to explain to the non-tech-savvy eve citizen, it is quite important to show the efforts you are investing to make the platform of the game improve and provide a better user experience.

Congratz on the achievements so far!.

Thatā€™s lovely.

In the meantime, setting a route still results in the wrong gate being selected half the time. When I set autopilot in a rookie ship, I sometime come back to the computer to find myself at 0 on the gate doing nothing.

Will this do anything to change the destiny ticks down the road so that AU-TZ players (and others with crappy internet pipes) do not get screwed so hard when it comes to client responsiveness? One of our corp has done several youtube videos where you can clearly see ships that are moving but cannot be locked, or ships that get locked, and then the lock drops.

Think about it though. No downtime means loss of a few minutes of being able to move caps without loosing a recon to nano kitey garbage on the citadel undock. People do not know what they have until its gone.

Fancy blog update but so far i just understand that is ā€œmake eve go faster againā€

1 Like

Congratulations on releasing the Nerdiest Eve Blog of all time.

I especially liked the bit about draining the volcano. That was totally serious, wasnā€™t it?

I think you replayed the wrong person .

Excellent devblogā€¦ may be a bit of a chunky read for some but for us nerds with a general understanding of what this is about it is glorious. Thank you!

If it can get rekt by a connectivity issue without affecting any other function, my book lists that as ā€œseparateā€ enough. That said, I remember not being able to login the first time it happenedā€¦

Anyway, this seems like creating more ā€œseparate enoughā€ parts, and I hope you donā€™t have a plan for dealing with it (because as we all learned in the last 2 years, when CCP has a plan, you better hide your wallet to not accidentally have a sub when they reveal it).

Yes letā€™s make CCP responsible for the realities of life and how the internet works and then blame them for instead of solving world hunger they decided to work on, say, ship balancing.

You chose to live in a far away penal colony where, to reach the normal world, all bits and bytes have to be turned up side down.

There seem to be an increased number of people having similar issues recently, for example this streamer here

Only when opening the market though. (once when opening Log viewer, but its normal for listing that many entries I think)
It happened very often in his stream, at least for the time I was watching.

Sure itā€™s not threading related?

you used to be able to field 15 drones at once, waaay back in the day

1 Like

Is this going to see consumer performance improvements? EVE works my pc harder than a big fight in Total Warhammer 2. In that game I play with 4000+ entities on screen regularly and it breezes along, EVE maxes my GPU just sitting in a stationā€¦

EVE does the same for me. GPU always at 100% regardless of what Iā€™m doing.

I donā€™t think the things mentioned in this blog will do anything to your GPU as it is about the serverside infrastructure and communication with the server.

Contest objectives with instance PvP.

How about no instancing, as instancing is the lazy approach other games use?

EVE offers PvP at all scales from 1v1 to massive fleet fights. Splitting those fights into lots of tiny instanced fights is really anticlimactic.

2 Likes