Devblog: Introducing a new tech demo - EVE: Aether Wars

Check out this dev blog from CCP Hellmar that covers our new partnership with Hadean and details of a tech demo occuring at GDC 2019 that you can be a part of!

Read all about it here!

13 Likes

Huhā€¦ is that about an experiment that could lead to the eventual development of something like a cloud-based Tranquility?

8 Likes

Would be cool to have more expansive physics.

2 Likes

This nice news.
If this thing proves to be working how fundamental change would this be for eve,
Like is this new eve engine talk or ā€œjustā€ porting eve to cloud?

3 Likes

Crystal ball says that when TQ is ported to the cloud all of Eve piles into one system for a test which then burns out the internet.

11 Likes

Time to stockpile coffee and hotpockets then. Oh, and the guns and antimatter S.

2 Likes

Okay Iā€™m excited holy crap :parrot:

3 Likes

My 30 years of software engineering experience says this is ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  Hype that will never become reality.

14 Likes

:open_mouth:

please stop! i can only get so erect!

2 Likes

Hmmmm, must have gone to the wrong site to sign up.
That one required a golden ticket, 100M isk, and 200 units of Stellar Hopium to participate.
:wink:

5 Likes

Explain this to me like Iā€™m five

Okay.

Hadean has a new engine they think is super-amazing and can handle anything.
CCP has a game and community that has typically made game engines run sobbing for the trauma crisis centers.

Peanut butter? Meet this dark stuff. Letā€™s find out if itā€™s chocolate or dog poo.

10,000 player deathmatch stress test. If it works, and the engine holds (or comes close to it) who knows? Mebbe EVEā€™ll look at integrating the engine.

19 Likes

Okay so weā€™re talking like Reeseā€™s Peanut Butter Cup potential here.

2 Likes

Youā€™ll notice I didnā€™t say which side is the peanut butter.

10 Likes

First the Dust FPS, then XMPP/Jabber and now Cloud Gaming. CCP is jumping after every fad losing tons of money on the way.

Cloud Gaming is about getting the client into the cloud. Tell me: How does the EVE client keep EVE from scaling? How does this address the fact that parallelizing stuff happening in one solar system is a very hard problem?

Edit: After reading some more I guess the focus is not getting the client into the cloud but using Hadeans distributed simulation engine. That means rewriting all the stuff under a new paradigm that will probably allow developers to do only a fraction of what was possible before. High risk, high reward. We know how big IT projects tend to end but if there really is no incremental way forwardā€¦

3 Likes

This is probably making CCP money.

Hadean are the ones who want to ā€˜proveā€™ their engine. CCPā€™s got the player numbers and the IP that have already been proven. We are the current world record holders for largest video game fight, after all. If this is costing anyone money, itā€™s Hadean paying CCP to use their IP and get us aware and signed up.

At the very least, itā€™s free press that costs CCP nothing except the time it took Hilmar to write up a devblog.

13 Likes

Hadean for Brexit. Shouldā€™ve picked Amsterdam :sunglasses:

1 Like

It looks like Iā€™ll have to buy a ship :slight_smile:

Glad to see more evidence that CCP is truly listening to the community, and I look forward to being a part of this testing.

8 Likes