Is Eve Dying/Dead?

On and off since 12 years. A lot has happened in this time, I have tried out many MMO’s in the meantime as online gaming is my hobby.

But I keep coming back to EVE… no other MMO gives a bit of a simulation of the vastness of space , coupled with action and challenging gameplay where you actually have to use your brain, and nice graphics fitting for even old CPU’s and graphic cards

What EVE needs IMO?

• get some YOUNG “Hotshot” developers and game designers with creative ideas to get those new young players to refresh the “old guard”
  • get marketing persons and open up marketing offices in other countries with other language (for example Indonesia, India, China, etc etc)
  • update the engine, make the graphics even better
  • Be a Pirate Faction character instead of the 4 empires upon creation

Something bombastic…OPEN UP JOVIAN SPACE

2 Likes

This. the Jovian Constructs (that’s what the Jove stations are called) look amazing. They should have their own hangar design. Also reintroduce the Jove ships and make them flyable, too.

The Jovian systems have some pretty crazy environments as well. Got to see a little bit of it when helping test Alliance Tourney stuff.

And this is why I should be grateful CCP ignores the forums

2 Likes

I played dust 514 and that is ultimately what got me into eve on my alt (was main).

Iirc there were about 21k people at any given time playing and it peaked at about 32k. That was in 2013?

It’s 2021 and whenever i log into eve, there are about 31k people playing.

I know this rodeo from other games. Some of you just need to pack up and move on, or stfu and have fun. Stop peddling that the game is dying when it is far from it. Sorry you feel that way but perhaps get out of your 1 man 0% tax corp and actually interact. I see a lot of people in those.

I did play eve beta YEARS ago and it was complete rubbish.

Wrote in my game/stuff journal, on Oct 10, 2020:

“Start 27 months of Eve Online “Exvasion”. 27 months of reducing CCP’s supply of resources that I provide: my time and money.”

Almost 12 months gone. That is $360 I deprived them of so far. 15 months to go ($450).

If the empires were given a chance to recover the stolen systems, which would be a blast, I’d consider cutting this short. But I don’t think CCP will go for that.

I’ll see if Eve is dead in 15 months.
Whine complete. Regard all further noises.

1 Like

If you come back in 15 months you are gonna want those 27 months of training back:) You’ll just be back playing and CCP won’t have noticed.

It peaked around 65K players at the highest concurrent count - I think the average back then was about 45-46K. The game went into a decline post 2013 and anything since has only slowed the decline not reversed it

If you extracted the decline before they introduced some new features like alphas the game would have dropped to player loads which effectively meant it was dead around 2020 - at the current rate it will take another ~5 years to get there - the peaks in the last 3-4 years have barely hit the period average since 2013. The period average for 2021 so far is around 28-29K.

1 Like

Player quality is more important than player quantity.

2 Likes

Says a high-sec ganker lol

If everybody is high quality player, that would remove a lot of funny things
High second ganking, suspect baiting, etc. Would be much more difficult

Quantity is more important than quality

As always there is a balance to it - but an empty feeling game even with high quality players tends to precipitate its own demise.

The game is fine. Crybabies are free to leave.

2 Likes

Yes, its dying.
Slowly, but surely.
What insulted me most from recent changes:

• resists cutting. it was not properly balanced by increasing base hull resists and lowering module requirements. Just resists cut. Moreover t2 close ammo got higher DPS which leads to situation where ships just pop…
  • overall too much dps in game (together with boosters.)
  • skill window - disaster. also character sheet got worth with giant chat model…
  • removal or of ore anoms. Instead of making them signatures.

From earlier changes:

• poor composition of some ships, I mean for example slot layout/bonuses etc. For example dragoon, cyclone etc.
  • all drone boats have one slot less, instead having more drone space + higher bandwidth. makes them for PVE only currently. No need actually to remove slot.

Whats wrong with that?

I was just underlining that if everybody was “decent” pilot rather than more pilot, I am not sure this would be much better for the game ; especially when it is a ganker that says quality rather than quantity. He will have no more job in that case

I see your angle, but I would say that zero pilot is just as good as a pilot who quits after one loss. And easy targets arent as much fun, same with easy enemies trying to gank.

But then, Id still play if there was only 5 players in the game at all.

1 Like

Well, even if there was only 5 players in the game you definitely wouldn’t be alone, thanks to CCP’s nefarious NPC’s…

2 Likes

Ha thats true.

1 Like

Player quality is more important than player quantity.

To who?

Players? Sure.
Corps/alliances? Maybe.
Pearl Abyss? Nope.

–Gadget says, why not both?

1 Like

I doubt Pearl Abyss cares more about “quantity” of players than “quality”. My guess is they care about MONEY, and paying customers are quality players. Highsec miners and carebears don’t pay very much, they are usually trying to figure out how to do everything efficiently and cheaply. PvPers are the ones blowing up spaceships and generating profit.