Is EVE Online a fair game?

Fair has nothing to do with it. As a fairly new player myself I’m disappointed in the amount of new players that seem to think they need handouts and game changes in their favor. I am much more disappointed in the older players that think the same.

4 Likes

Eve is heroically unfair. Far less fair than real life - because God aka CCP changes the rules to screw over factions and people they don’t like regularly. It’s very irritating.

It’s as fair as you make it.

2 Likes

Did this actually happen and to whom? lol

Sure, lets say you get ganked by 100 players, that is fair because you have just as much chance as the next person to make 100 friends.

I see EVE as both “fair” and “unfair.”

It is “unfair” in the sense that there are few mechanical limits to stop people from accumulating mind-boggling amounts of power and resources… and then using said power and resources to curb-stomp anyone and everyone on a whim.
It is also “unfair” in the sense that people who have played longer (and have more skillpoints) have more options and flexibility in what they can do, how they can do it, and how effective they can be. And younger players will never truly “catch up” without investing either a lot of time (years) or hard money (skill injectors).

However EVE is “fair” in the sense that there are no mechanical limits to stop people from accumulating power and resources.
For example: As a rookie, you have limited power and skills. One-on-one you can’t really compete against a multi-year veteran. But there is nothing stopping 5 rookies working together against a single multi-year veteran. Or said rookie making friends with other veterans and asking for them to punish the aforementioned multi-year veteran.
EVE is also pretty “fair” when it comes to the skillpoint system. No matter how long a player has played there is a “hard cap” on how powerful they can be (in terms of skillpoints) within any given specific specialty. Once at level 5, that is it.
This means a rookie who focuses on a single specialty for 2-3 months can be just as good a multi-year veteran within that field.

1 Like

Yes, it is. I’ll show you. Send me all your ISK and I’ll double it.

3 Likes

You’re one of the good ones. EvE-Mail me for handouts, just cus ya get it :wink:

2 Likes

EVE is a fair game.

It favours the ones who planned ahead and were prepared for whatever the situation is they ended up in. As it should be.

4 Likes

Threads like this really stick it to all the limp wristed non-hackers. Keep it up.

1 Like

It’s complicated. Not difficult, just complicated. The game is so vast and the different areas offer a lot of things to everyone so you could get happy if you find the right thing(s) to do in the right place(s). Or not, then you will probably ragequit (and give me 0 ISK in the process).

(1) Bring your best player with you. It may be your spouse, parent, close friend or relative—someone who knows you and is familiar with your situation.
(2)Breath. Recognize that the CCP staff wants to help you, not hurt you.
(3)Be patient. It’s a process—here are steps to go through and paperwork to be completed and in general it’s so slow you can drive Miss Daisy while blowing a golfball through a garden hose and still have time to wait for the next thing to complete.
(4) Once you finished athe tutorial , get inside a corp, advocate for yourself. The recruiter will see you. Be honest with him.
(5) You must earn your way in AND out. Your behavior can hinder your acceptance into or release from corporation if you’re not cooperating with the staff and other corpmates.
(6) Read your duties and rights and understand them.
(7) Don’t mind the eccentric behaviors of the other players, they’re fighting a similar battle.
(8) Accept that the insides of the hangar may not be the most aesthetically pleasing. (That said, don’t concentrate on video walls if they have them. Cheap adverts is a bad idea for psychotic symptoms).
(9) There will be PVP at some point. It may seem to be calling your name. It’s not. Try to tolerate the audio-visual stimulation, but if you have to, leave the game for a while and do not pass the forums.
(10) Be mindful of the opposite sex and the same sex. Establish personal boundaries and adhere to them; EVE Online is not a place to start a romance.
(11) Seek out a friend and get to know some people.
(12) Read. Most information is on the internet readily available. Try and comprehend what you read.
(13) Give yourself time and space. You are on a journey to getting better and that takes time and space. A LOT OF IT. If you don’t have the time, don’t even log in.
(14) Take a photograph (not a screenshot, that’s for idiots). Post about it. Capture the chaotic and colorful journey. Write about it. Express yourself. Get to know who you are at this time. Get the know the other mentally stable fellow posters.
(15) Be kind, regardless. Don’t expect people to respect you because a.) everyone’s imperfect and b.) they can’t respect others if they don’t respect themselves.
(16) Challenge your mind and do a puzzle, but don’t read into it—it’s just a brain exercise.
(17) Take advantage of physical activity out of the game when there’s recreation time. Your body needs a physical outlet to help process the stress your mind is going through.

The admission and experience of staying in EVE Online was quite an adventure. I offer these pointers because knowing what I know now back then would have helped me get through the experience with less angst. While it was an unfamiliar and uncomfortable place to be, it was also the best place for me and worth it for my mental health.

2 Likes

Nope.

If you’re not dumb, then yeah, its fair.

If you are dumb, then its still fair, but now you just have less stuff.

3 Likes

No.

CCP has shown a strong favoritism for nullsec that will never see an end. This is why EVE has never been anything for me but a place to hang my hat until some other space-based game worth playing comes out.

EVE is a good game but it is not a fair game.

Did you mean “fair as a game” or if it is “fair game”?

If you mean wether it is fair, then no. It has not enough rules/laws to determine a frame to which you could attribute the concept of fairness. Thus EVE is inherently unfair.

It is unfair for everyone though.
In that sense it’s fair.

5 Likes

More fair than RL by far and much less harsh.

Not rly fair with scums like CODE running around and the police gets manipulated by them 20 times a day to only shoot them when they’re in rookie ships.

That is a opinionated answer that you are asking for. However if you really want to hear the facts, the thing that you will consider a fact is your opinion on your question.

My opinion is that the only things I find unfair about this game, is that Alphas are not even allowed to use a single salvage or mining drone, nor any other higher lvl mining ships. Another thing that I find unfair is that Alphas cant even use a single ice mining module. Another thing I find unfair, is that alphas cant use strip miners. The last thing I find unfair, is that there is only one event spot in any system. There should be 2 as max limit in any system.

But still I consider this game fair. As long as their are anomalies where there is Jaspet in high sec, I am fine. But please put mexallon or mercerite (what ever they call that low sec silvery mineral) rocks in high sec anomilies as well.

oh they always lose thier ganking ships. always. they just use the rookie ships to move them around so they can ‘safely’ gank again in another 15 mins

Define fair.

just in general what do you think.

Fine.

Yes in some ways.
No in others.

Both keep the game exciting, make your actions matter, and cater to multiple types of game play.

–Fair-minded Gadget

1 Like