Is there any point in mining?

Or, sometimes I’m fried from blowing up Sansha battleships for a few hours and would rather mine in my own quiet system than worry about safely getting out of my low-sec area to the nearest trade hub. Variety can be nice.

2 Likes

You need mining for a certain type of Vanguard fleet in Incursions.

1 Like

what ? Mind to explain ?

I googled :
vanguard incursion mining
And got :

and
Lyavite in Incursions - EVE University Wiki

leading to:
https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Lyavite_in_Incursions#Practical_value_of_Lyavite_in_Incursions
1 Lyavite
1.1 Practical value of Lyavite in Incursions

Unlike the real ore, the fake ores cannot be refined into minerals and only has value for the mining missions and in the case of Lyavite, for one of the vanguard sites in incursions.

Edit:
Then, there’s this:

Note if planning on Mining out the site for the Lyavite ore, you will need a combat ship and logi to protect the miners.

2 Likes

What are you 14? “haters” :smile:

Well obviously yeah, but that doesn’t detract from the fact that mining is a low income grindy AFK bot fest that has never been in a worse place. Even when people would mine in cruisers and battleships it was more worthwhile than it is now. That’s a fact. Please don’t give me the tired “well you don’t have to do it” bit. Not doing it is obvious.

Oh man I totally agree that’s such false economy.

The game does not have to be about making the most per hour. That’s why I said do what you enjoy.

Eve can become a job if it is all about the dank tics

12 Likes

Both Ore Industrial Command ships use mining drones. Don’t use augmented drones to mine in high sec space as bumpers will try to steal them, there are multiple bumper gangs that do that. When an Orca is fitted right it has tons of ehp. A properly fitted Orca can out mine a tech II mining barge that is not boosted. While the Orca is a very skill high ship it is a good ship when fitted properly.

1 Like

Careful with suggesting Augmented Mining Drones.

These are expensive and while gankers don’t often gank Orcas can a single destroyer gank those drones and thereby cause an easy loss of hundreds of millions of ISKs.

2 Likes

points why mining is necessary

1 you can’t get morphite from loot reprocessing, so you need to mine morphite ore
2 you can’t get Ice products from loot reprocessing, so you need to mine ice

1a - you cant use drones to get morphite ore,
( or yes you can, but you lose them after explosion)

that is soo 2 weeks old…
cool guys use excavator drones

The point of mining is to attract a low IQ crowd and feed them to the actual players as content.

3 Likes

actually you can in HS.

1 Like

Ganking miners is pvp these days game has gone to ■■■■ in last 6 years

1 Like

Personally, I enjoy mining. Enough that I have 5 accounts that I mine with. One pilots the Orca (And yes, I am going for my Rorq) while the others mine. I can pay for all my accounts with roughly 12 hours of ‘work’ a month.

That being said, talk down on me all you like for being a miner. Go ahead, buy all the minerals and materials you need… All you are doing is supporting those of us who enjoy mining, making us money.

Oh, and by the way… Most of the miners I talk to are a lot like myself… We never mine while AFK. It’s the best way to get ganked. It also takes quite a bit of micromanaging to make sure all of our accounts are mining all the time and not just sitting in space doing nothing.

7 Likes

On a side note, Orca is not a waste even if you end up not doing mining. Couple years ago I spent almost a month in a wormhole living out of a cloaky orca, hehe. Yup, Orcas + the T1 cloak is awesome.

And as far as mining goes, sorry, I’m one of the people that scrapped it, drained skills and injected into combat toons. Worst for me was when I was in NS. No matter where I looked or who I was with, there were so many freagin bots and multiboxers it really turned me off from it, NS as a whole actually. Worst of it was when they wanted me to join them. And this was 4-5 years ago, its wayyyyyyyyy worse now. So as you progress with your mining and through different areas of the game and corps/alliances, you will also get to the same point, except now much quicker and the pressure on you to do the same will be much stronger then it was on me back then.

1 Like

I find it funny when people spout “mining is rubbish, or a waste of time”. It’s part of the game and people enjoy doing it. Those that talk down on miners - haven’t you got anything productive to say? U play the game how you want, others do too. It doesn’t make them worse players. I mine when I want to, go ratting when I want. Pvp roam when I want. Because it’s My game. Not everything is about getting the most isk. I agree with the guy above, I like building my own ship, then the fittings, then flying it. And I mine ice to help my Corp fuel its citadels. Because it HELPS MY CORP. Eve is mainly a multilayer game, and I find the best part of the game is the community I fly with.

7 Likes

I can’t prove it, but I have a theory that it’s more of a problem of perception than anything else. I’ve seen occasional miners on the forums, met plenty in-game, whom enjoy it and work with it precisely as Elanaril detailed three posts above. These pilots look at the mining system, how it works within EvE, and work it into their gameplay and enjoy it. No problem. And again I can’t prove it, but I have a hunch that this includes 90% of all miners.

Then we have the vocal sort both on the forums and in local chats. The ones who don’t know how EvE works, and are taken aback by getting ganked. They get vile and nasty about it. They don’t want to be blown up. They want changes. And since they are typically the only miner vocalizing 99% of the time, other people get the perception that mining as a whole is a problem, and that people need to be saved from it. Because, hell, 99% of the people talking about mining are complaining, so something is wrong, right?

Like I said, I think it’s just perception problem. I myself did some mining, but I did so at a stage in my EvE life where I knew how EvE worked, I knew how to keep myself safe, I knew what to expect, and I knew how to integrate the activity into my schedule. So I didn’t have problems. I eventually moved on because mining was just a means to an end, after that end I had better things to do with the character.

2 Likes

@Khan_Wrenth
You are spot on! It is called the vocal minority. Unfortunately in the world of modern gaming culture a vocal minority in nearly every multiplayer game out there has taken to being vocal to the point of annoyance in order to try and force gaming companies to cater to their way of playing the games to the detriment of the massive majority of players.

For the Record, I agree with Sonoros Rahl in regards to how I play the game. I am primarily a miner by chosen play style, I enjoy mining and operating a small mining corp in High Sec. I enjoy the challenges that gives me in regards to planning mining ops for my corp and our friends, working out doctrine for protecting them from potential gang attempts etc. It is fun and relaxing to build and set up a home for me and those I play with in my little corner of New Eden. I also run missions and participate in minor PvP on occasion when I am not busy with my industry work in game. That is what I enjoy doing and I take pride in doing it well. The stuff I make that I don’t use I put on the market at fair prices for others to use in their play in EvE.

Every player is different. Every play style is different. Some players prefer playing a certain way and think that if others don’t play the exact same way that they must be doing something wrong and ridicule them for their choices. Personally, I think those people need to seek professional help, but hey, this is the greatest sandbox space submarine simulator in existence and I play it my way. If other people don’t like it, oh well. Doesn’t effect my play in the least.

Fly Safe, or Fly Dangerous, you choice.

7 Likes

Yay for miners!
Do what makes you happy, I wont judge!
:heart:

2 Likes

I love one of the current dreadnoughts design. And i love mining in barges. Two years ago i go to Null nut retain a fleet or two in high sec. Now i think isbetter have a dreadnought cgar in null because i like the look of the ship.

All the others, including my titan pilot, are mining in high sec procurers with one orca support.

1 Like