[January Release] Updates coming to The Agency, Journal, and Agent Finder in January

Nope, but this is maybe something we could look at for the future.

I will take a look at FW systems. Maybe we can take a look at how we reload content.

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback. I will feed this all back to the team. The icons you have highlighted in the picture are something we are already discussing internally, but nothing will be ready for this release. Colors are also something we are taking another look at, but also, probably not in time for this release.

Expeditions will currently go under Combat and Sites. We will investigate if they need their own filter.

Agents will eventually move fully over, but not at the moment, see the devblog that is planned for Thursday 21st for more details.

1 Like

The build that has just gone live on Singularity should have some performance improvements, but we will be keeping an eye on this and looking at areas we can improve the performance.

Do you mean the main event card, or the sites themselves?

Yes, the neocom.

At least stop the curation of content. No one needs this when they look for agents.

Mentioned in a couple replies, but we have just deployed to Singularity an attempt at improving the performance of the Agency, but will continue to work on it.

Ok, we probably won’t give an option from here, but we are looking at ways to make opening to the specific filters as you suggested.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply and effort taken, thats much appreciated.

Looking forward to improvements :wink:

@CCP_Claymore

Taking a look at the Agency Agent Finder part - and I must say, it still needs a lot of work to be a replacement for the agent finder.

1: The left hand side needs to sort agents by range - Closest to Farthest - It doesn’t always sort this way.
2: There is no filter to remove HS, LS, NS agents.
3: I think a good chunk of your lag is in the animations you have in the bottom half of the screen when you click an agent. It stutters for me.

1 Like

If you are going to remove the Agent Finder, are you going to fix the limitation in The Agency that only brings up 12 results? That’s very limiting.

If you need a use case. Let’s say I want to search for all level 4 mining agents for the Minmatar Republic. The Agent Finder shows 25. The Agency only shows 12. And if you limit your search to just the Minmatar Mining Corporation, the Agent Finder displays 21 and The Agency shows 12.

Now, we can still go to Eve-Agents.com in order to make sure we get full searches. But why should we have to go outside the game to use a search tool that gives us the same capability we have inside the game now?

2 Likes

Yes, I was doing the same sort of test with level 2 Gallente Federation Navy Security agents where the current Agent Finder brings up 32 results while The Agency is limited to a dozen. That seems like a serious flaw.

The Agency window is too large, clunky, slow & frustrating as it stands. Removing the Agent Finder to lump it’s options into that same oversized clunky etc. etc. Agency window will demolish half of my login playtime entertainment since I basically eat space rocks & mission grind for days. Y’all did this with the Industry window (bigger is not better especially when it’s lagging hardcore). Now y’all plan the same thing for the Agency window (bigger is not better especially when… etc.)?

Why the ‘upgrades’ that bring lag, space hogging UI windows, and less KISS functionality as what the new shiny is replacing?

Bad idea, not when it’s an admitted WIP with blatantly obvious problems with the new shiny substitution. Form is not function. We kinda need function. Change for change’s sake is not good change.

1 Like

Yeah, seems to be a show stopper:

Level 4 locator agent search from Amarr (2 jumps):

Switching to the next largest range offered by the UI (5 jumps):

The closest level 4 locator agent is no longer shown, presumably because of the 12 agent cap.

Also, you will notice that there are two agents in that second image that are listed as having a range of ‘2 jumps’ but who don’t show up on the first search. According to the current agent finder, there are 9 level 4 locator agents 2 jumps from Amarr.

damn, I made a tutorial for how to use the agent finder, now I am going to have to make an agency one (after you finish it . . . oh who am I kidding, after you make the next set of changes)

finish it? seriously, I crack me up sometimes.

m

3 Likes

With full realization I’m shooting at a messenger and typing into nothing …

Why are you bringing up these “feedback” threads? To take this one as an example; we’ve been all over pretty much everything this latest iteration consists of when Agency window first launched. Got some usual “we’ll look at it” and “good feedback, we’ll talk about it” and … well, nadda basically. It’s still clunky, over-sized, barely customizable and more or less fails to check any box on the “Good UI design” checklist. While achieving limited functionality.

But, as is usually the case, there’s one person behind it that will keep on chanting “My way or the highway”. I get it. You, that person, came up with this feature. Or maybe you didn’t and it was passed on to you to develop. Even more understandable if latter. Had you admitted you’ve made a pretty poor job at implementation; mind you, implementation, as I still think idea is good, you’d lose on the internal score meter and thus your position within the company weakened.

On the other hand there’s this legend how CCP listens to its customers and you simply have to set up these “Forum assisted waste of time” exercises. Talking about rock and the hard place, eh?

I can get better usability from an SQL query against static dump executed in a terminal and fortunately those dynamics that are not part of said dump I don’t care about. So good luck with your baby who’s icon will get removed from Neocom as many have been before. Still, you will be able to look back in couple of years and proudly tell people how you did that!

Sad thing is, stuff like this ends up in portfolios people with even less clue about software engineering and interface design use to hire.

Then again, maybe this is part of a brilliant plan to shift most of data browsing to ESI, outsource retrieval and result presentation to players at no cost and slash away yet few more personnel. Let’s end up on optimistic note and assume that’s it!

3 Likes

Yeah, the problem is that actual functionality is being removed from the game. If you choose to avoid using the bad software, you will also now have to avoid all the systems that they’ve crammed into it.

You’re right though… this does feel like the whole removing core functionality from functional software so a dev can claim 100% adoption for their resume. It’s not the first time CCP’s done that. And it worked… those devs got better jobs at other studios regardless how bad the software in EVE ended up.

1 Like

Will I finally be able to stack and minimise the Agency window like other tabs??

1 Like

WIP changes that aren’t completed.

Industry window. Is it still taking far too long to load up on the 1st attempt, still glitchy? Then it’s not done, still a WIP, please finish it before clumping more into the WIP Agency Window.

Character/Skill Window. Does it still have to be closed then re-opened to add a skill to the queue them move that skill on the queue? Then it’s not done, still a WIP, please fix before fidgeting with the Agency Window.

Are there still customers playing the chat tab flip & scroll to get avatar pics showing in local? Then please fix that bug before shoe-horning more into the WIP Agency Window.

Does the new camera have all the functionality the Classic one had, as requested by customers? If no, please see above on which might need priority, camera or Agency Window.

That’s just three off the top of my personal WIP list of changes/upgrades that aren’t working as advertised therefore are not done. I know it’s not the glamorous work with redesigning something like the Agency or whomping up the newest Sov tweak, but… it’s work that should get handled before moving on to the next big shiny WIP that will be added to the list of ‘not done but hey, that’s not my new focus and/or vision at the moment.’ Dreaming up new ideas is a wonderful thing. Now impress me with some follow-through and completion please.

The Agency Window needs a lot more work before more things are stuffed into it. As a vehicle modification metaphor, get it up to speed before adding bling & rims to it, right now the engine won’t reliably crank. It’s borderline broken as is. How about fixing it before adding more coding to it firsties? And tackle the backlog of bugs & glitches elsewhere in the game client so there’s a tolerable QoL in the Eve UI?

Mikkhi

1 Like

speaking of changes. I’d really like the ability to write-off LP. mostly because I have a bunch of small amounts left over after cashing out, and will use that NPC again. It I can trash an asset from any distance, it would nice to be able to action similar for LP.

1 Like

The Agency sucks

slow, too many buttons to find anything useful
slow, a wtf map must be displayed, no idea what I’m going to do with that, starmap works fine
slow, slow, slow. the Journal is lightyears ahead in terms of useful and speed, small and compact

what’s the problem with having redundant ways of getting info? leave the Journal alone UNTIL you manage to come up with a useful Agency. Other than the troll, no one likes what exists now.

1 Like