June 2019 Release - General Feedback

Ah, weird…

… well, thanks to no more captain’s quarters, the only other place character animations are visible besides the preview window on someone’s profile/show info in game… is during character creation or during character cutomization (but then only for your own eyes, no one else’s).

He’s referring to the bit in the patch notes that says:

“Removed Darkness smoke effect on the Minmatar Battleship Hurricane (Regular and Fleet Issue) Minmatar Rust SKIN.”

he wants his Hurricane to get an upgrade from BC to BS. that WOULD make it a lot less nimble, tho.

Well, at least I can’t see a great difference, unless the novelty is that now they seems to breath. Wow. that would be really great difference. YAWN…

Maybe it’s just a typo? It doesn’t seems to have lot of sense turn a BC in a BS…

Yes, it’s a typo. Same as Falcon titling the 2019 June release Mac feedback thread “2018 June release Mac feedback”. ;D

There is nothing in this release to give feedback about.

1 Like

another fluff patch oh and more skins as long as ccp make skins :no_mouth:

Here’s some detail regarding the character systems changes in the patch notes:

For various parts of our graphics systems, we use 3rd-party middleware libraries. One of those libraries, about a year and a half ago, was blocking our move to a 64-bit client, so it had to go. As it turns out, it was software for layering and sequencing animation. Captain’s Quarters depended on it heavily, but it was also used in the character creator, and while we could (and did) remove Captain’s Quarters, the character creator is a necessary system in our game.

So, in mid-2017, leading up to the Captain’s Quarters removal, I spent some time building out our in-house animation software support to replace the bare minimum functionality necessary to keep characters idling naturally in the character creator. This change was a success in that I never heard a single player complain about the fact that characters were less lifelike, but our tiny but still active 3D character team wasn’t happy with the details that had been lost in the process.

This year, another of our 3rd party middleware providers delivered a 64-bit capable system that had a lot of the advantages of the one we’d taken out. Furthermore, we realized that with careful engineering we could use it for both characters and space objects. And, since adding support for it would require getting some experience with the new tools and updating our character animation workflows, adding some minor, more lifelike details to characters in the character creation screens was a reasonable, low-risk testbed for the technology.

So yeah; none of this is life-changing in itself. The fact that you’re not seeing much of a difference is just fine, though it might mean that we toned down the visual interest a bit too much on the way to release. But, now we have a modernized animation pipeline, some new tools that work well and enable very exciting new capabilities, and an implementation that will allow us to use it with ships and characters interchangeably.

The thing I can’t stress enough is that this kind of infrastructure work is tricky to get right, perfectly invisible when it works, and is absolutely essential to keeping Eve’s code base healthy, well-maintained, and modern.

6 Likes

Only feedback I got is go back and address at least the past year of feedback before we worry about this latest release. If a year is to much, then since invasion release bare minimum.

So we will get even more graphical upgrades? Possibly ship animations?
That’s great!

@CCP_Darwin will we see the captains quarters return?

It was a cool feature, and with the current influx of other games adding such features, wouldn’t it help get those player bases interested in EVE?

I know some in community don’t want to see new blood in EVE and think EVE should only be for them. But EVE has to be cooperative with other new games.

4 Likes

I have my suspicions and I don’t expect a dev to actually come out and answer this but is the last Drifter attack wave an antibotting measure?

They seem to be at their strongest in systems of questionable repute. We have been watching Drifter fleets of 20 battleships RF structures up and down the region in systems we know have bots. And with massed fleets hitting null blocks. We only got 5 total in one system and it’s the system that neutrals pass through.

Triglavian ships are showing they do all damage types in the attribute tab, but the scrolling damage on screen shows only 2 types of damage. I selected and viewed multiple ships, all show that they do all 4 damage types.

What one do I trust?

1 Like

You would think, having been taken over by Black Pearl which has one of the best character rendering engines on the mmo market, bringing back walking in stations via an external system like chat (but easier, as walking requires a session change) would be viable

I would like to see my outfits & maybe look at all the trivia & trinkets CCP gives out. May settle for a 3d rendering of my toon & the Agent I am talking too - Text chat to NPCs is SO old school

1 Like

A foreign engine in an established environment is not necessarily a boon.
Just remember the woes of an old starmap, which was using a different rendering engine and did not work that well on Linux.

/Seconded

Just a bit of fun speculation… but I should think it possible to have something external to the EvE engine maintaining communication - Chat works in this fashion - Think a small environment based in the Dust game engine with instanced versions of your collectables & clothing to decorate with.

Three toons hanging out together would make a great launcher and you could pick clothing etc. before launch

Chat works right in the EVE client - it turns EVE into literal XMPP client.

I may be wrong, but like Black Desert Online I thought that the EVE game engine read the XMPP and the chat itself was powered by a separate application server running Ejabberd.

There should be no reason two different game servers couldn’t have the same chat - I 'm pretty sure even before Ejabbert was adopted Eve & Dust had overlapping chat (call for planet bombardment or something like that).

Anyway - as I said It’s just fanciful speculation on how a 3d walkaround environment could be paired with the game

Maybe talking about the headshot animation in the character sheet?

Ah, very interesting stuff, thanks for the detailed background info there, CCP Darwin.

So even though these changes to the character animation were necessitated by the 64-bit client, the 32-bit client is also getting the new software/idle animations and such as well, right?

I just made 3 new toons for the first time in years in my 32-bit client and didn’t really notice any difference, although it HAD been a long while indeed. Good work!