Launcher crashes after today's update(SteamPlay Linux)

Still the best solution until we can get a working launcher again. BTW after the dll you mention i notice that the log started to show a network adapter error almost like if the launcher gui couldn’t find how to connect

Possible reason for this shambles - I came across this in a Reddit group about bad management. Anyone know if it’s true ?

This happened to CCP Games in Iceland…

Long story short, a single developer was tasked to code an upcoming expansion by himself. He rewrote the entire game into this expansion. Without documentating anything he did, so he would be the only one who knew how it worked. (Job security.) Said developer literally died shortly after the expansion went live. They didn’t notice for a long time, and when they did, they realized just how spaghetti stringed the code was.

It took them 2 years to figure out what he developer did and another 3 to unfuck it just enough to continue on. The game cannot be expanded on in several directions because if they touch certain lines of code everything breaks…

If anyone else is having this issue the most simple solution that I have found is to install the game using Lutris and using the runner for lutris-5.7-11-x86_64.

1 Like

Do you still have to kill any updates before they can download ?

Would like to know that too. There was another launcher upgrade a few days ago, but I still dont dare to let it run. Anybody has made some experiences with that?

By accident I let the launcher update run this morning and it reverted to a non-working launcher. I overwrote it again with the old launcher and I was back in business.

My concern is that we’re going to arrive at a point where a particular launcher update is required to work with a new server or client update. At this point the ‘load an old launcher’ strategy will no longer work, and Eve will be effectively dead to Linux users. The only viable solution would appear to be getting a new version of Wine which works with whatever it was CCP changed to break it, and I have absolutely no idea where to even start doing that…

Has happened before, will happen again.

Apparently a patch to Wine has been submitted: see EVE Launcher crashing on "Checking GUI Version..." - #86 by Raimundo_Desilu

Wine point releases in the Development branch seem to appear about every two weeks. Since Wine 6.3 appeared 26 Feb 2021, the earliest a release containing the patch might appear seems to be 12 March, if the patch passes pre-release tests. The previous draft of the patch failed a Testbot test.

2 Likes

It just happened today, game client don’t launch anymore with old launcher and new launcher still not working. Seems like a planned strategy from CCP to screw linux users

1 Like

Unpatched launcher from before the “problems” on Kubuntu with Wine 5.0 (unpatched stock from the Ubuntu repo).
Worked fine for me a minute ago (so after the update - which installed fine).

Slightly irritating to have to cancel the launcher update every time, but there’s a 30 second window for it and I get Plasma to put and lock that window to the foreground so I don’t miss it. Not a big deal.
And if I miss it I’ve a copy of the old launcher I can quickly revert to.

When trying to launch client with old launcher today drops this error line and client don’t open
00cd:err:module:import_dll Loading library blue.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\EVE\\SharedCache\\tq\\bin64\\exefile.exe") failed (error c000012f).
Is there any way i can manually add that “blue.dll” library?

I’m not certain - I’ve never encountered such an error, nor am I familiar with blue.dll.
It depends probably on how you have installed and configured Wine whether the relevant components have been load into your instance. I’ve a suspicion from a few seconds Googling (which you could have done) that it’s related to the local LDAP installation, but may need winecf as well to push in the relevant hooks.

Other than that I can’t help you. Sorry.

I was able to log in using the old launcher just fine today.

Ok, trying to bypass the trouble i read in this thread that game still working with steam, i never played through steam so my questions are:

1. Can i play a regular EVE account inside steam launcher?
  2. Can i keep my player settings and previous game installation?
  1. Yes, you can. You will have to add your account to the Steam Launcher, though.
  2. Yes, but you have to move them by hand..

Tried to install steam and test it.

• With proton 5.1 the EVE launcher doesn’t even start, remain in a window trying to launch forever
  • With proton 5.0 the EVE launcher starts and i achieved to log in my old EVE account but when i try to launch my account shows this message:
    game client assigned to XXXXXX has closed unexpectedly
    and loglite shows this errors every time i try to launch client:
    bluepy.Terminate - Reason: Failed to import _trinity_stub_deploy ("ImportError('No module named _trinity_stub_deploy',)")
  • With proton 4.11 the launcher don’t run a window, just a systray icon, then i can run an unloged client from the server list but inside that client can’t log in game
  • With old launcher and regular wine i get a different error in loglite:
    ClientCrash ..\..\..\src\customwebpage.cpp in CustomWebPage::onProcessFinished : Client crashed with exitCode: -1073741515
  • With new launcher and wine the launcher can’t connect to internet and get this error in console:
    01e8:fixme:netprofm:connection_GetAdapterId 10597A78, 11E3DAE8

Seems like if somebody in CCP was dedicated to make EVE launcher specially designed to harm linux users.

1 Like

Today after last client update the client finally launches under proton 5.0 (thx CCP for giving a breath to linux users), now i have 2 troubles,
(edit) never mind, just noticed the game also works now with wine and old launcher so everything fine for me until next CCP whim

Are you still having to reject all updates ?

Yes, new version of launcher still not working with wine, still having same problem mentioned

1 Like