Launcher crashes after today's update(SteamPlay Linux)

I can confirm - I tried today Proton: experimental, 6.3, 5.13 and 5.0 - only 5.0 worked. I didn’t configure anything - i tried all as-is of-the-box. Launcher fails but you can still get to client but cannot start because of login block

1 Like

I have reverted from wine-staging 6.5 to wine-devel 6.5 and did what @Nelo_Garci said about the two libraries:
msvcp140 and msvcp140_1 set to Native(Windows). It still works !
Worth noticing that I install dxvk with winetricks in Eve’s WINEPREFIX !
WINEPREFIX=/path/to/eve winetricks --force dxvk
Again, clicking any link in the launcher crashes it …

1 Like

Thank you Nelo Garci!

With your changes proposed above (override “msvcp140” and “msvcp140_1” with “Native (Windows)” settings in winecfg) the current launcher is working for me with wine-6.5 (Staging).

1 Like

Thank you a lot for this. Was able to get it working in Lutris with no problem, thanks to these notes.

I submitted a patch to their installer with these extra steps, so hopefully we can get that added & keep it simple for everyone to use.

1 Like

There’s a great deal of useful information in this thread, but it’s all a bit piecemeal. Could someone please itemise the steps required to go from a clean install of either he latest Ubuntu or the latest Mint to a fully working Eve, and also highlight anything needed to keep it running once installed (e.g. do you still have to cancel automatic updates every time you start the launcher ?).

This would certainly be useful for me, and possibly for and any other Linux users contemplating diving into Eve.

Now the patch for the installer on Lutris was accepted, the setup should now be as simple as:

• Install Lutris ( https://lutris.net/downloads/ )
  • Select Eve from the list of community installers
  • Select this version from the installer ( This is the first one ):

The launcher will freeze up over time, or if you click on something like Account Management, but its enough to get the game running.

Been using it with this setup for nearly 2 weeks now, with multiple accounts. Once you are in the game, it works just fine.

For reference - This was from a clean Ubuntu Studio 20.04 LTS install

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll give it a try. Do you still have to cancel offered launcher updates within 30 seconds ?

Not had a need to so far. Generally just need to remember to log in all accounts you plan to use early, as the launcher will freeze up eventually. Can close the launcher, kill the system tray process and re-launch it, but that’s less than ideal in an emergency.

1 Like

Sorry to bring this up again, but I had to take a couple of weeks away (medical) so I’m out of the loop. Has the Lutris solution worked OK since you implemented it, and are there any issues I should look out for when I install it ?

so far I can play Eve.
winehq-devel 6.7. No problem besides clicking any link in the launcher will crash it, sometimes the accounts are not launched, and it just does not get removed from the process so I need to killall -9 them.

Typically, start an account => ok.
Start accounts laters => not ok, they are started from the launcher but no additional window .
I need to close all windows, the launcher, killall them, then restart the launcher.

But it’s playable.

1 Like

Finally getting round to re-installing…

Do I need to install Wine first, or does Lutris do this for me ?

Although Lutris provides and uses its own Wine builds, we still recommend you install all of Wine’s dependencies to ensure a working experience. The easiest way to get them is to install Wine system-wide through your package manager.

Make sure to have the wine dependencies and drivers installed for lutris to work well if you have not done it yet: https://github.com/lutris/docs/blob/master/WineDependencies.md & https://github.com/lutris/docs/blob/master/InstallingDrivers.md

The eve installer script will install the Lutris Wine builds (lutris-6.0), but the launcher does run for me. I changed it to either lutris-5.7-11 or lutris-6.4, which work just fine for me at least, but link will freeze the launcher.

2 Likes

As far as i can see they are accomplishing it pretty well

Dude, do you really live in planet earth? that’s not how real life corporations work, they never do and recognize plainly things that could give them bad reputation. You should simply learn how do the M$ partner program work, if other software corps want to collaborate with M$ they must use certain libraries from M$ that avoid that software to work under linux. In fact M$ and wine have being having a continuous race for 15 years, wile wine tries to make software compatible M$ try to get the opposite. Don’t be so naive making us think you are making M$ propaganda.

Just for others if they will be reading this topic. Current proton (6.3-5) is working flawlessly with EVE.

This morning i find that laucher doesn’t work (again) i’m using old launcher (version 1850297) with wine 6.13 version and when i open the launcher only shows on systray, then when i open it from systray the launcher window shows stuck on the login accounts process, maybe have to do something with this trouble? EVE News24: The Galaxy's Most Resilient EVE Online News Site.
If anyone can help i can provide any info requested

Eve doesn’t want me as a customer unless I buy into Microsoft’s commercial op-sys, is it really that simple ?

Not gonna happen…

Eta: just had a random thought - what’s Pearl Abyss’ attitude to Linux ? Could CCP’s posture be coming from the new owners ?

If i recall, they didn’t officially support Linux before the sale to PA, and it was just CCP devs devoting their own personal time. Maybe they have less personal time to devote to working with Linux to keep it up to date with whats going on with the launcher?

Well from what I have seen Black Desert doesn’t work at all in Linux and they have absolutely no plans to make it work. In fact much of the way it is built is downright anti-Linux. So from a corporate overlord standpoint, Depending on how much direct say Pearl Abyss has over eve, the they are more likely to make EVE work worse in Linux (or not at all) than the other way around.

Hi,

This still works. I upgraded to the new Debian testing (bookworm), and the new lutris/wine combo with the old eve online install failed to launch. Removing eve from Lutris, and installing eve again works, I did have to cancel the attempt to upgrade the launcher to a newer version, and I have to redo my in-game UI configuration, but at least I can still play eve on Linux

Turtlefist

This is how I also play, however I been having issues resizing windows when in window mode, since I run 5 clients, I simply can only do window mode at 1024x700 or maximize to the max the monitor allows (1366x768 for my 2nd monitor and a tad less of 1920x1080 for my main monitor, because I like my mate top bar with my cpu indicators and temp monitors).

Other than that, this old lutris installer works perfectly, but as mentioned, I also have to cancel the upgrade to the launcher, or it will stop working. Launcher closes after some hours, but since I minimize clients that I’m not using is not a big problem.

The window resizing issue is a big one for my alts, 1024x700 is horrible for when you want to pickup PI, even with the compact list on the top right, poco view on top left, dscan on bottom left and overview on bottom right… I cant see the HUD, I make it work but its because I’m already used to it.

Oh, not sure if you have noticed… but Lutris doesnt suffer as much with the ALT being stuck as it happens so much with the linux launcher, no idea why. Its also noticeable less CPU usage than the linux launcher (without dxvk, still trying to understand how to enable that).