Launcher failing to start: bundled Qt broken?

I’m giving the launcher a spin (since getting the game running through wine was a failure).

However, there seems to be something wrong with the Qt version bundled in the launcher. Here’s what I did:

➜ curl -LO https://binaries.eveonline.com/evelauncher-1548102.tar.gz
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  137M  100  137M    0     0  10.9M      0  0:00:12  0:00:12 --:--:-- 10.8M

➜ tar xf evelauncher-1548102.tar.gz 
➜ cd evelauncher 
➜ ./evelauncher.sh
QObject::startTimer: Timers can only be used with threads started with QThread
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "wayland" in "" even though it was found.
Could not initialize GLX
evelauncher.sh: line 14: 318370 Aborted                 (core dumped) "$dirname/$appname" "$@"

It would seem that the bundled Qt version is missing bits – particularly, support for wayland (this is the subsystem that handles all the application windows and graphics on Linux). Maybe the launcher was packaged with macOS in mind?

Is this the right place to report a breakage like this? There doesn’t seem to be much that can be done to work around it.

Just switched from Nvidia to an AMD card, and I now get this error.

I don’t think it’s a problem with the bundled Qt, as mine was working fine prior to refitting my box with the AMD card.

I’ll try to remember to report back here if I learn anything else.

It’s strange, because another EVE install I have runs fine under WINE the normal way. I suppose I could use that one to play, but I don’t have any of my settings there, and I can’t figure out where the evelauncher.sh version stores its settings.

Perhaps I clobbered them at some point.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.