Lets Talk About PCU

Damage control, rally the partners to convince the masses that everything is ok! Scarcity was a good decision! Spamming new players with microtransactions, what could possibly go wrong!

Removed an off topic post.

did ya just get locked out ?

Would the filaments be the reason for the cloaking timer? As those would allow someone to jump into your system that would normally not be guarded such at gates or system WM closing.

My bad I guess lockdown was only the first little bit. Some of us just donā€™t get out much :smiley:

End to restrictions etc etc.

Iā€™m going back to playing Everquest so I know itā€™s not all about summer and covid. The game just kinda sucks right now. All sticks and now carrots.

Ashterothi

Love the shows you guys put on but over my time in eve this has been the most slow other then the 5 days a year or so ago the DOS attacks took us all out for few days there. This feels like CCP shutting down there doors and players are reflecting the environments push towards us not having the fun we should have for paid players. I would like to agree with you that the cascade effect we are witnessing is nothing and from day to day the hard-cores will always login but at what point do we as a player base show CCP that its time to worry. I personally would be sweating in my office chair at this point even with covid slowing and warmer weather. Thereā€™s a sense amongst the corps Iā€™ve spoken with that 50-70% reduction in members online is a lot more then just summer sun.

4 Likes

The most important thing to remember:

When they tell you not to worry, thatā€™s when you should start worrying.

3 Likes

The Britā€™s might be known for their understatement but the Russianā€™s say it best.
Russian history in 5 words: ā€œAnd then things got worse.ā€ ā€” Steemit

3 Likes

I was eating when you said that (or I read it Iā€™m not sure which or if itā€™s both) and now Iā€™m choking.

On the subject at hand however I believe that everything is fine and we are all going to die.

1 Like

The Arctic Fox cometh.

Mr Epeen :sunglasses:

3 Likes

When I googled that in reference to eve, all I got was info on a flatulate nebula!
Arctic Fox Nebula - EVE University Wiki

From cluborlov.com:

The Russian word for [the arctic fox] is ŠæŠµŃŠµŃ† (pesĆ©ts). It is a polite substitute for the term ŠæŠøŠ·Š“ŠµŃ† (pizdĆ©ts), which is reasonably well conveyed by the English exclamation ā€œHoly sā– ā– t, we are totally fā– ā– ā– ed!ā€ It is in turn derived from the word ŠæŠøŠ·Š“Š° (pizdĆ”), which is a vulgar term for female genitalia.

1 Like

:nauseated_face:

And I thought I was badā€¦

Iā€™ll stick with a flatulate nebula.

Want to buy a flatulate alpha gas huffer Iā€™m training up?

Eve Who - Gaseous Maximus

I have all the alpha gas huffers I need.

Which is none. Your just jealous you didnā€™t think of the cool name 1st. :sunglasses:

Is Donkey Lord still available?

The PCU is a single indicator in a very complex system and,
ā€¦Eve has been dying since launch.

I think what has been keeping it ā€œabove waterā€ has been the changes, but the patch work really seems to be showing these days and there were a lot of missed opportunities. They went too wide and not deep enough where they needed to.

Having said that, I think their first big mistake was the push to homogenize space in many aspects. That eventually pushed out a lot of players with differing play-styles and tastes, to the detriment of the game IMHO.

I do check back once in a while, but I get less interested in what I see when I do.

1 Like

Peak Current Users is commonly used by game devs to measure player engagement. It is a highly useful metric - but a bit inconvenient when approaching investors. When trying to talk to investors, devs usually resort to the Daily Average Users metric (which is a double-edged sword if the investors are industry-savvy).

PCU has been dropping rather steadily since 2011. So long as there has been a matching drop in DAU this could be attributed to normal game aging - or it could be that CCP changed its mindset towards its customers altering how it evolved the game and after the little guffaw did not keep the game as fresh and innovative as they would have had it not occurred. If the long-term trend in average DAU is flatter than that in PCU, it means that players find the game less engaging and are either logging in just long enough to perform account maintenance or to check and see if the game got any more engaging.

Current trends in economic indicators from MERā€™s are showing that player interest is waning: they are not producing as much ISK and what ISK they have is being used to purchase PLEX to protect their investment in EVE. If those players are protecting their assets, then they are apt to be established players waiting to see if EVE is going to become interesting again. No one has any hard evidence about newer or solo players (except possibly Phantomiteā€™s ā€œExit Interviewsā€).

Considering that CCP insists there has been no reduction in the DAU (and in light of their policy of not sharing the DAU with us), the latest downturn in PCU is more than worrisome as the COVID and summer theories do not match up with rw economic and jobs reports from any country in the world which produces such reports. But, the EVE Online sky is definitely not falling (any more than it was).