Lets talk about ratting and all the things it does baby, lets talk about rats

If he’s a dev, I’m an astrophysicist.

5 Likes

Hence my earlier suggestion.

I once had a special spot on the big bus, like right behind the driver.

Could have been worse, you might have been on the short bus watching the OP lick the windows.

2 Likes

Coming back on topic, i believe abyss space is going to be the answer to group pve. I’m pretty confident that it can answer all of these points:

I’m working up a post for it, but even then I’m still not sure if it would be a good thing for a pvp sandbox like eve…

I Agree, abyssal space is much better in its design then any of the other forms of content, though there is some issues with it. Personally i’d not design content for deaths until it was the end / pinnacle of the content (in this case abyssal 5).

Id much rather do “bonus” on timer completions. This way people have the ability to farm up to the end content and a fall back point if they get low on isk. This would of made the content better.

Hmmm, so if I understand your comment correctly, you mean that Abyssal group PVE could answer/address/provide all those points, but yet still be a bad direction for EVE to head in?

I wouldn’t disagree with that at all. I didn’t mean for those points to represent everything ratting should or could be, nor that they were a sufficient design for ratting. Just that they were examples of the sort of things one might toss out as ‘objectives for ratting design’.

For instance, an additional objective could be:

• Ratting should expose players with PvE-focused builds to being hunted by players with PvP builds

I’d be fine with that. Overall, EVE needs a fundamental design rework to achieve an environment where some people are encouraged to develop and build resources, some people are encouraged to go out and PvE; and those activities plus others should provide an environment where PvP players can hunt those who are out ‘doing other things’ as well as each other - without those activities being restrictively harmful to the other types.

EVE has traditionally had an environment where one of those types of activity (production, active PvE, PvP) has been favored to the detriment of the others. All three types have always co-existed, but the current and various past states of the game show that they have normally done so in an antagonistic fashion (one mode suppresses the other two) rather than a synergistic one.

whaaaa

3 Likes

Abyssals come at a great cost. The risk is far to high to make them the staple form of pve combat content. Ratting should take this place at least ofr now. Removing ratting would significantly impact alliances in an unpredictable way., possibly even the game.

I could support abyssals becoming a thing if it did not include the death on timer fail mechanic.

But i would rather push for groups gaining the bounty rate + bonus’s, not s haring the bounty rate with no bonus’s and look at changing the content, how the ai’s fight, mixing up rats to have damage/tank/logi with them. Maybe even an agro system (a new ecm mod that forces you to focus a target) would be interesting.

This part of kinda off topic but i will say it would be nice if the three met at some point. I personally dont like item drops on rats and would advocate for their removal.

I also think a lot of things like “you can only build or research this many things based on level” is silly and supports alt game play which need to be looked at which could effect this side conversation.

This Topic has been moved to Player Features and Ideas Discussion

6 Likes

All the things mentioned in the very first post are ideas/features that alter basic game structure. Player features and ideas seems like a good spot to discuss features and ideas.

Features and ideas.

5 Likes

Pretty much. It answers many of the issues with the group pve conundrum. But i don’t like abyss space or instances for what they are and how they remove people from the sandbox.

Is unfortunately a pretty crucial feature to stop it becoming easily farmable by semi afk players. And even the idea I’m cooking up still needs something like a timer.

If we were to ever remove the instant death time limit and replace it with rewards based on speed they would at least have to penalty based rather than bonused based. To the point that taking too long either rewards you with nothing and/or auto-ejects you out of the site.

In fact, i quite like the last one as an alternative for ‘easier/low level’ sites.

I can see how CCP might feel that insta-death is needed to keep it from being too farm-friendly, or even that they might think “hey, more destruction is cool, who cares how players perceive it?”. From my end, I’ve heard from a good many players who simply don’t participate in Abyssals because one socket disconnect means death.

Personally I would not explore a mechanic where death of my ship depends on something as shaky as the servers ability to maintain a connection across every hop between me and them. Ratting makes more sense in general because if I design my ship right and don’t cut things too close, a DC won’t kill me.

Timer based failure should be, as you mention, either decreased rewards or ejection. Possibly ejection with an increased suspect timer, as anything that came shooting out of Abyssal space without evidence of having killed a bunch of Trigs would be pretty suspicious, IMO.

There is nothing wrong with it being farmed to quickly. IF they are having economic issues and are looking for means to reduce it, they should maybe start looking at reworking the 1203912321 trillion in ratting that done a month. a good start would be to remove drops, and find a way to make killing rats themselves have a sink, maybe for example shifting tags to an autoloot system and then making players go to a spot to turn it in then applying a tax for it instead of having straight isk bounties.

This says it all about the OP and their obsession with risk-free PvE farming. Even when the risk is purely PvE in nature it is unacceptable, in the OP’s world the primary PvE content must be a risk-free supply of guaranteed ISK.

3 Likes

Tags instead of bounties is something many players have been asking for for years to help control the ISK generation and AKF ability of ratting.

giphy

1 Like

There is a problem with it being farmed too easily however.

Quick and Easy in EVE usually go hand in hand, generally speaking the reason you are able to do something quickly is because it is easily done.

Being farmed quickly leads to high ISK generation which is what has been going on for a long time in null sec.