Level 3 missions

Hello all,

got to the stage where i can do level 3 missions. i m minmatar and my first go at it was terrible too many ships to deal with as well as 50000km away turrets which were slowing me down.

this is my Hurricane fit:

[Hurricane, RANE] : https://gyazo.com/aacc9455c75b999683d7588c66a60560
Counterbalanced Compact Gyrostabilizer
Counterbalanced Compact Gyrostabilizer
Medium Armor Repairer II
Damage Control II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Gyrostabilizer I

Stasis Webifier II
50MN Cold-Gas Enduring Microwarpdrive
Optical Compact Tracking Computer
Eutectic Compact Cap Recharger

425mm Medium ‘Scout’ Autocannon I
Medium Energy Nosferatu II

Medium Projectile Collision Accelerator I
Medium Trimark Armor Pump I
Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I

Valkyrie I x1
Warrior I x6

EMP M x7934
Tracking Speed Script x1

and this is my drake fit:

[Drake, Zacanawa’s Drake] : https://gyazo.com/8ab0a43b2a7487f0ca29e61fa3ef8b83
Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II
Ballistic Control System II
Ballistic Control System II

Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
EM Ward Amplifier II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
M51 Benefactor Compact Shield Recharger

Prototype ‘Arbalest’ Heavy Assault Missile Launcher I

Medium Anti-Thermal Screen Reinforcer I
Medium Core Defense Field Purger I
Medium Core Defense Field Purger I

Warrior I x4

Microwave S x1
Standard S x1
Scourge Heavy Assault Missile x25184
Gamma S x1

my missile skills are not great yet i still got 15 days where i m learning most missile skills needed. my hurricane is great fun and does great in pve but cant do lvl 3’s.

i have not tried my drake yet on lvl 3s because of skills yet.

my question is:

what kind of dps do i need and what kind of regen/repair tank do i need for lvl 3 missions?

every thread i seen about similar question people always ask why you doing lvl 3 missions? well i cant do lvl 4 yet and if i cant even do lvl 3 how am i going to do lvl 4?

currently got 8.mil sp. all my shields are at IV and also my armor skills.

this is a list of my current skills:

missiles: https://gyazo.com/997d52414be36595ee50b8dd74b6b789

gunnery: https://gyazo.com/5b1d3111bfbbe9e15e336816a3eb5d25

armor: https://gyazo.com/a941acf41c371e0ed74e41d1cccea2b4

shields: https://gyazo.com/6a36aa406121e47f0de509cab666822d

engineering: https://gyazo.com/7f87886f6d9b864d8d3e3489cef13771

Navigation: https://gyazo.com/0a4e873330cd61370dc758f397be06b8

drones: https://gyazo.com/03f0884fbe56125a7917e9caa6a19fef

spaceship com: https://gyazo.com/fb6978fe873c41ba0ed3a0d54fdda8be

any tip will be great.

2 Likes

Your cane fit is kind of … Need to work on it a bit.

Drake looks ok for lvl3 but I’d recommend you to swap to heavy missiles otherwise with jams you have to manage distance since drake is very slowboating hull and you don’t have an or mwd fitted.

Just stick with the cane, Level 3s are a stepping stone to bigger and better things, the only reason to grind them is for standing and some startup cash.

First off, scrap the trimark and the collision accelerator. Fill your resistance hole with an anti-explosive pump if necessary. If you’re not fighting any angels put a hyperspatial optimizer there. For the third rig slot you might need an ancillary current router depending on your skills.

Drop the cap recharger and get a cap battery on this bad-boy. The bigger the better, large cap battery if possible.

Try dual rep on the low slots: 2 armor rep 2s, 2 rat-specific armor hardeners, and use the last two lows for gyros, or more tank if necessary (eanm/reactive hardener)

When you feel tanky, and badass, add in more warp speed/navigation/damage/sensors. Only keep as much tank as you need because speed, damage and sensors are going to get the missions done quicker, but start off overtanked and go from there.

2 Likes

try this little baby

AC armor cane
[Hurricane, pve armor AC T1]
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Medium Armor Repairer II
Reactive Armor Hardener
Tracking Enhancer II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II

Large Compact Pb-Acid Cap Battery
50MN Cold-Gas Enduring Microwarpdrive
Stasis Webifier II
Cap Recharger II

425mm Medium 'Scout' Autocannon I
Armor Command Burst I

Medium Ancillary Current Router I

Hammerhead I x4

Armor Energizing Charge x1300
Republic Fleet Fusion M x1000
Republic Fleet Phased Plasma M x1000
Republic Fleet EMP M x1000
4 Likes

HML Cyclone. I prefer this one over Cane and Drake :sunglasses:

1 Like

This is a good idea. Kind of halfway between a cane and a drake choo.

1 Like

Why the cyclone? I thought the drake was the king

1 Like

I like the look, I like its speed, dps is fair enough and pretty flexible in terms of fitting. And you are correct - it was a king

1 Like

Yeah the drake is better in most ways, but for level 3s it doesn’t matter, you will see no noticeable difference in capabilities for a level 3. If you already have minmatar battlecruiser skills you can get into a cyclone quicker. It’s a fun ship, it’s underused, it’s unique.

I do breeding facility (level 5) in a cyclone, it’s a fine ship.

1 Like

I haven’t personally used either of these ships much recently, but a few principles.

In missions you know what you’re up against so you can resist against it. the eanm and the dc2 are both unfocused, the dc2 even less than the eanm. The most bang for your buck is with hardeners specific to your opponents. Same principles with the invulns on shields, though shields have cap issues. The tradeoff of course being it’s a pain in the ass to keep changing hardeners between missions, but in general I figure it’s best to begin your mission career over-tanked, and slowly ease back as you start to know where the limit is based on how you fly and how you control the spawns.

In missions you know (or can find out) exactly what is going to spawn and when. My childhood karate teacher always said the first rule of defense is to not get hit. Don’t let enemies spawn that you aren’t prepared to deal with.

In lvl 3 missions, most of your targets will be frigates, some cruisers, and the occasional battleship. When you start flying battlecruisers and battleships you’ll start to rely on your drones (supplemented by sniping when possible) for killing frigates. I’m not the expert on the drake, but I’d consider rlml’s with all the frigates you’re going to have to kill.

lvl 3’s aren’t really a matter of dps. I’ve solo’d them in an Algos (granted, with T2 drones and T2 ammo, so not exactly a rookie option.)

In general I disagree with the advice above about the cap battery instead of the cap recharger. In nearly every situation the cap recharger will get you more cap/s. Cap batteries really do 2 things: give you enough capacity to not waste cap booster charges, and they help with neut resistance. In Minmatar space, the only pirate factions you should really be dealing with are Angels and occasionally Serpentis. If you’re up against anything else, look up the mission and see if neuting is going to be an issue. Otherwise, using a fitting tool, compare the two modules, see which gives you the best cap/s. It’s nearly always the cap recharger, though again, I admit I’m not all that well versed in Minmatar ships.

2 Likes

With missions I use what best suits the rat, with guristas a drake is especially nice because of getting jammed, serpentist, they will kill your locking range, in this case, drake, using auto targeting missiles will solve those issues.

Angels, they love a brawl, the frigs will web you and hold you down, your biggest problem,
Arch Gistum Liquidator/ Marauder, fast and hard to kill, but, if they catch up to you the battleships will melt your defense fast, your instincts are to kill the webbing frigs but that many times acts as a trigger to spawn more ships, kill cruiser and battlecruisers, then if you have time kill the battleships saving the frigs for snacks at the end.
A cane is a great choice but auto cannons are great their range is limited, go for an arty fit and get more range to manage the incoming DPS.

Bloodraiders, Sansha, they are a mixed bag, I mostly go for cruisers and battlecruiser right away, sometimes frigs if I don’t like their looks, the battleships will be your biggest problem, they can be hard to chew through and they hit really nice, for this I recommend a drake because don’t try and brawl with those battleships if your tackled and those battleships are close enough your gonna get melted fast.

But I will say this, although a drake is an excellent mission boat I love my cane because when used correctly it plows through everything pretty quickly, don’t get frustrated, as you said your skills are not there yet, I use T-1 arties on my cane with very good results, I am looking for the day I can use medium T-2 arties, mostly its just skills, for now I recommend you fit micro jump drives because you will need them when you misstep, use a website called eve-survival.org it will be your best friend in the beginning, also one last recommendation, on that medium drone in your cane, use all small drones, frigs love to kill drones, lose 1 or 2 and you might find yourself tackled and no way to kill the frigs, medium drones will miss fast frigs most of the time.

https://eve-survival.org/wikka.php?wakka=angelextragavanza4

2 Likes

the blockade was my first mission at lvl 3. i m flying in amaar space at the moment. cant remember what the rats were in there. i know combat sites they are mostly sansha’s. there is a good ammount of ideas here.

arties will get on to that. i completely left it behind always :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

and with the drake i can only reach 17km :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

But if you can use one module to be cap stable instead of 2-3, wouldn’t you do that?

1 Like

I haven’t seen a load where that’s the case, except with extremely small ships.

Some basics of capacitor mechanics: Recharge rate is based on time from 0 to full. Cap batteries do increase the maximum and therefore also increase cap/s. Cap rechargers reduce the time from 0 to full, so also increase cap/s. In nearly every loadout I’ve worked with, the cap recharger has given better cap/s. The difference between the two is that the cap recharge is designed to increase cap/s, while the cap battery is designed mostly to resist neuts with any additional cap recharge being a side effect. With ships that have small capacitors and fast time to full, the time to full is so short a cap recharger doesn’t do very much, so the battery ends up being more effective. Really though, check the loadouts side by side. I’m either right or I’m wrong, the only way to know is to check for yourself.

1 Like

look at the fit I gave. large cap battery> cap recharger for a cane.

this makes no sense. A cap recharger gives a % increase in cap/s ; a cap battery gives a flat cap increase. So if the cap battery gives more %cap than the % cap recharge of the cap recharger, it is worth to put it.

example :
if a fit has 1000 J and a cap recharger gives +15%, recharges in 1s ; a large cap batttery gives +1000 J

• a cap recharger gives +150 J/s
  • a cap battery gives +1000 J/s

so a cap battery is worth it. now with a ship that has 10kJ, recharges in 10 s ;

• a cap recharger gives +150J/s
  • a cap battery gives +100J/s

in this case a cap recharger is better than a cap battery.

Basically for most subcaps, a medium/large cap battery is better than a cap recharger. forget that if you fly amarr.

1 Like

You know what, I may be working from older information and just not updated my loadouts and/or assumptions. Doing some side by side testing shows you’re right. I should go through my loadouts and see if I’m missing things elsewhere. edit: to be fair, every single post I’ve done here, I’ve said to do side by side comparisons. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

They made some major changes to cap batteries and they rule now. Cap batteries are life.

edit: some time ago.

2 Likes

Ouuh the Sansha Blockade level 3 is one of the most difficult ones for beginners. Most ships will be far away and you short range guns will not be very good for that.

I was helping out a buddy with that one because he already lost a Raven (with a terrible fit but he has bajillions, so it doesn’t matter to him).
You want an em and a thermal hardener on your hurricane or an em or thermal shield hardener on a cyclone (don’t quote me on that cause minmatar ships are weird and some armor tank and some not).
Anyhow, heavy missiles (mjolnir or the blue ones) will be a better choice and 5 light scout drones (acolyte for Sanshas) for frigates in the Sansha Blockade level 3.

Happy shooting!

2 Likes

fair enough, needless to say i failed that missing… hoping it will give me something else next.

1 Like