Level 3 missions

Hurricane is a great ship for lv 3 missions in Minmatar space. Course it’s been a while since I’ve flown it. I run shield tanks on my ships, both passive or active. All my skills for Hurricane are maxed trained and I use Hardwiring implants to help increase my ship stats. I use my Cane as an Arty Passive Shield Tank with active Resists.

Hardwired slots for ship needs:
Slot #6 = Zainou ‘Gnome’ Shield Upgrades SU-605
(-5% power need to modules requiring Shield Upgrades skill)
Slot #7 = Zainou ‘Gnome’ Shield Management SM-705
(+5% shield capacity)
Slot #8 = Poteque ‘Prospector’ Astrometric Rangefinding AR-806
(+6% scan strength to scan probes)
Slot #9 = Zainou ‘Gnome’ Shield Operation SP-905
(+5% shield recharge rate)
Slot #10 = Zainou ‘Deadeye’ Rapid Launch RL-1005
(+5% rate of fire to all missile launchers)

Hurricane (Cap stable)
High slots
6x 650mm Artillery Cannon II
1x Rapid Light Missile Launcher II

Medium slots
2x Large Shield Extender II
1x Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
1x 10MN Afterburner II

Low slots
1x Damage Control II
1x Power Diagnostic System II
1x Ballistic Control System II
1x Tracking Enhancer II
2x Gyrostabilizer II

Rig slots
1x Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
2x Medium Core Defense Field Purger II

Drone Bay (Light Drones)
5x Hobgoblin II
3x Salvage Drone I (can exchange with combat drones for replacement backup)

Notes:
Get range asap and maintain range from rat pack for best defense
Set up Arty’s into groups per target for faster elimination - 3x Arty in 2 groups or 2x Arty in 3 groups
Use Rapid Light Missile Launcher and Drones on NPC’s that get in close under Arty gun range
After destroying small hull NPC’s, can safely field light Drones with guns on large targets for full DPS

1 Like

there ya go lads completed my first lvl 3. \o/

i think i was just unlucky on my first ever lvl 3 mission, the blockade.
https://gyazo.com/aff3729e5306fa0257de3cc3f7d15045

this other mission was very easy so./ i just need to pick my battles for now, thanks for all the help though!

2 Likes

My points earlier about controlling spawns especially apply to blockade. It’s extremely easy to hit the “wrong” targets and get completely overwhelmed. Next time it comes up, look up the spawn triggers and it’ll be much more manageable.

Otherwise, congrats. It always feels good to do something more than you were able to do yesterday.

2 Likes

Minmatar ships have the highest % cap recovery… and the lowest base cap.
So batteries almost always give better cap/second.
And it gives bonus base cap, as well as resistance to neuts (i guess that might be important)
Was messing around with fitting trying to make my navy stabber more cap stable for mission grinding and i noticed how much more time batteries give, I thought, "oh thats just because it takes longer to get through the reservoir of cap, its probably less stable)
So i looked at the recharger and i noticed i had better cap a second with a battery,
This realization changed my life

3 Likes

I was so over the moon about cap batteries I posted this a year ago:

They’re amazing. I’m glad you’re enjoying your discovery.

To op:

Congrats on finishing your first l3. Like someone mentioned I think you probably just messed up the spawns. The Blockade can be pretty hard if you don’t spawn the rats in order.

2 Likes

Too early for this but lvl 4 mission do I need to do it in a battleship?

1 Like

Not really, no. A well-tanked BC can manage most L4s. A BS will usually run them faster and safer though.

3 Likes

You don’t absolutely require a battleship for level four missions… just it is exceedingly easier to hit the required EHP recovery and DPS to make level fours comfortable to clear in a battleship. Battlecruisers with sniper fits and a MJD can complete a number of the missions. For clearing L4s in a cruiser it very much becomes a case of min-maxed T2 or Pirate cruisers with some expensive fits.

2 Likes

I did Angel Extravaganza 4 in an untanked/max DPS Talos, so yeah, you can do lvl 4’s in a battlecruiser. I’ve also managed them in a drake and a myrmidon. Keep in mind from earlier, managing spawns is a form of tank. However, battlecruisers typically won’t be able to achieve both the DPS and the tank you need to reliably do them. Yes, I’ve done it multiple times, but the low DPS makes them boring and frustrating. The Talos situation was more of an experiment adventure, and I think I eventually lost the ship. It sure was fun though, watching the HP bars just evaporate. If you can afford the failure, give them a shot. Or find a buddy you can spider tank with to increase your chances of survival (which one way to start over-tanked.)

2 Likes

yeah i would say certain hacs or a gila would be better for level 4
i dont think i would try other pirate cruisers tho
and t3 cruiser is fine for level 4 ofc
probably better to train a t3c than a bc because it is faster and bc kinda relies on the command burst which takes a lot of training too

1 Like

I would suggest a BS. Sure you can do them in a BC but that is typically slow going and not really worth doing imo. A well tanked BC isn’t doing a lot of damage at mission ranges. It can be useful to learn the missions and their triggers, but imo it’s a better move to learn lv3 blitzing where you will make more money and take some time to train more SP. All the tactics translate over into lv4s and the extra SP should help you stay alive and kill a bit quicker.

and yep, gila or t3c can be an okay choice, Gila would be the quickest to get into and uses a lot of support skills that are useful elsewhere. so if you really want to jump up I’d go that route. it gets a very interesting mix of tank and damage that even BCs have trouble matching. Plus with cruiser sig it can speed tank a lot of damage.

2 Likes

yeah i have plenty of time, i m in no rush to start lvl 4s yet. i m still struggling a little with lvl3s but i have finally learned that distance is a major part of doing well at these missions. hence the typhoon cruiser missile combo. i think the aim here is to blitz lvl 3s and try lvl 4s but focus on the blitzing lvl3s.

i still need more skills on my Cane. loving that ship more and more just like i fell in love with my rupture.

i been looking at rocket boats lately. thought this typhoon would come handy with cruise missiles.

[Typhoon, *Simulated Typhoon]
Large ‘Accommodation’ Vestment Reconstructer I
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Reactive Armor Hardener
Ballistic Control System II

100MN Afterburner I
Target Painter II
Large Cap Battery II
Cap Recharger II
Missile Guidance Computer II

‘Arbalest’ Cruise Launcher I
Drone Link Augmentor I

Large Capacitor Control Circuit I

Warrior I x7

Mjolnir Cruise Missile x138
Missile Precision Script x1

2 Likes

thats a fine typhoon fit
typhoon is actually the black sheep of the bs class in that it more closely resembles a bc than other bses
but it has the fittings for bs size modules
its a good choice of ship to get into bses with

2 Likes

I think there is a balance, sometimes you want to get range to either avoid damage or to minimize transversal so large guns can hit small targets, and some times you want to get in close and max damage. Should be able to get a feel for it in your hurricane in lv3s. At some point lv3s are going to start feeling very easy as you learn the quirks of your ship and the mission system. That’s the out of game skill that you can only learn by doing and will carry over into other PVE activities.

Range control is a bit more of a gun ship thing but it does somewhat apply to missiles, especially on ships like the typhoon that don’t have velocity bonuses. You are more likely to have missiles lost to defender missiles, and more likely to fire extra volleys that fly off into space as the previous volley destroyed the ship. But it’s very easy to keep range with missiles so sometimes that’s a good tradeoff.

That phoon fit looks fine in general. Might want to think about using mission specific hardeners Primary resist + secondary resist and a reactive can make for a very strong tank. Probably worthwhile training up for a t2 large rep, or look for a cheap faction rep. And a bit more training should up your damage nicely. Also some 3% implants for cruise missile damage and missile launcher rate of fire will help. If you really like the setup can always upgrade to 5% implants, but suggest starting with 3%s as they are far cheaper and good for trying things out.

4 Likes

To clarify a little bit here. A mission battleship should be able to hit out to about 60km. That seems to be about the furthest orbit range. If you can’t shoot at that far, then you need to be really fast to close that distance, which is tricky for a battleship, and depending on the situation can be less efficient. When fighting Angel, they tend to orbit closer. It will depend on the mission. It might be a good idea to have saved loadouts you can swap between missions. Once you know what to expect from each mission, you can fine tune your loadout. You’ll get the hang of it, just keep in mind you can fully customize your loadout to your targets.

2 Likes

speed isn’t such an issue with typhoon its a pretty fast hull

2 Likes

does it matter with missiles far or close? i mean with that typhoon, i can hit up to 133km
https://gyazo.com/a2edccef08ccd5504b1b706d104d1629

does it matter if i use that for the rats which come close to me? obviously the tactic here is have my drones deal with the close range stuff and use the missiles for neut/web towers which sit at 60km and BSs also. is that a waste of missile? or does it do less dmg to smaller targets? is that how it works?

ps: thinking about it maybe cruise is overkill for this missions 133km 0_0

1 Like

Explosion radius and explosion velocity. When the explosion radius is bigger than the signature radius of the target, “leftover” damage gets wasted, so reduced damage. When the explosion velocity is slower than the target’s velocity, you’ll do reduced damage. You’ll do reduced damage to small fast targets, regardless the range. That’s the thing with missiles, the vector and distance don’t matter. Just a range check, velocity, and size. So yeah, they’ll do less damage to frigates, but if they are tackle frigs, you still want them dead asap, so probably worth focusing fire on them, otherwise let the drones deal with them. What you’ll likely experience at longer ranges is that you’ll have “left over” shots. You’ll pop a distant target, and then the missiles en route are wasted.

With turrets the experience is a little different. You can use short range ammo and attempt to kite a little bit to increase your potential damage to closer range targets. (You should kite anyway, even in a missile boat to help your tank. I use a wide orbit around some central decoration to keep everything clustered together. Fleet tag targets to keep track of triggers.) At longer ranges you can 1-shot most small targets just as fast as you can activate your guns. Closer targets are harder to hit, but my experience has been that if you fly well, turrets can hit them much harder.

I’m a turrets guy, rails mostly, so I have a bias. The good thing about missiles is that they are easy to use. The bad thing is that you can’t really adapt to cover their weaknesses, the bulk of their performance is decided at the fitting screen.

133km is definitely sniping range and definitely of mixed utility. Sometimes long ranges like that are exactly what you need, sometimes not. I’m not sure if people are typically doing this, but maybe keep a mobile depot and spare launchers in cargo, at least until you get notes on what ranges you’re going to need for which missions.

2 Likes

133km is not a bad thing to have its nice to aggro distant targets and give them a chance to close the gap while you kill closer stuff

1 Like

133km is yea probably overkill, but being able to hit at 100km can be very useful in a few situations. Pretty much every mission npcs orbits inside 60km, I consider dps at 50km a pretty important metric for standard missions, but a few will spawn at 100km and if there’s nothing else to shoot it’s good to be able to hit them.

On the phoon missiles go 7000m/s and have a 15s flight time, The launcher cycle time is 6s. It’s possible that you shoot a killing volley and then another volley before the killing volley gets to the target. That extra volley is wasted damage.

also if the ships are at long ranges they are likely at max speed flying at you, as said above speed is a portion of the damage formula. It’s possible the speed is high enough that it requires an extra volley. And your target painter will be in falloff having reduced effectiveness.

Overall pretty minor problems, but still it’s a damage reduction. Some people say just fit a MJD and kite and that’s their solution for all missions, sure it works, but I find there are better ways.

3 Likes