Level one missions even worth it?

Lp = base x individual agent standing multiplier x faction standing multiplier x social skill’s, definitely worth getting both to 9.99 if you are doing lp based missions such as faction warfare missions or level 5’s.

4 Likes

Interesting thank you. So I’ll just step on these level one guys to better things lol

1 Like

Hi

Level 1 missions are indeed very much not worth it, in fact, you can get a lot more ISK and some free ships, or at least you used to be able to, not sure due to recent changes, by doing the career agents. So go ahead and do the career agent missions, if you finish at your current hub, find more career agents in the agency. They also give you nice faction standing boost at the same time so its in fact a good idea to run several of them, but do not train all the skills from skillbooks they give you, or you will spread yourself too thin, just do them in your original ships.

By the time you are done, you may need to do very few level 1 missions just to get some agent standing, then jump straight for level 2, but give yourself a few days for your skills to go up a bit.

The 2nd thing is, eventually you need to learn to stop dying. It will happen occasionally, but not too much in PvE and your ship will start making you ISK. That all said, there are some very cheap and effective PvE ships / fits. Since you are in a Merlin, I take it you started Caldari. Merlin is not very good for PvE, go for Kestrel or Sunesis, then Caracal then Gnosis. With Gnosis you can do level 3 missions relatively easy. here are some fits, all alpha, mostly T1, I have some T2 stuff on there, anything you see T2 just replace with T1 meta 4 module and you’ll be set.

[Kestrel, Simulated Kestrel Fitting]
Crosslink Compact Ballistic Control System

Small F-S9 Regolith Compact Shield Extender
Small C5-L Emergency Shield Overload I
Limited Adaptive Invulnerability Field I
1MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner

Arbalest Compact Light Missile Launcher

Small Semiconductor Memory Cell I
Small Capacitor Control Circuit I

Caldari Navy Inferno Light Missile x1600
Caldari Navy Scourge Light Missile x1600

[Sunesis, Simulated Sunesis Fitting]
Mark I Compact Power Diagnostic System

Small C5-L Emergency Shield Overload I
Small F-S9 Regolith Compact Shield Extender
1MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner

Small Processor Overclocking Unit I
Small Processor Overclocking Unit I

Caldari Navy Scourge Light Missile x1200
Caldari Navy Inferno Light Missile x1200
Hobgoblin I x8

[Caracal, Simulated Caracal Fitting]
Mark I Compact Power Diagnostic System

Astro-Inertial Compact Missile Guidance Computer
Upgraded EM Ward Amplifier I
Medium C5-L Emergency Shield Overload I
10MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner

Prototype ‘Arbalest’ Heavy Assault Missile Launcher I

Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I
Medium Semiconductor Memory Cell I

Missile Precision Script x1
Caldari Navy Inferno Heavy Assault Missile x3000
Caldari Navy Scourge Heavy Assault Missile x3000

[Gnosis, Simulated Gnosis Fitting]
Power Diagnostic System II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Co-Processor II
Ballistic Control System II

Large Compact Pb-Acid Cap Battery
Large F-S9 Regolith Compact Shield Extender
Medium C5-L Emergency Shield Overload I
Missile Guidance Computer II
50MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive

Heavy Assault Missile Launcher II

Medium Warhead Rigor Catalyst II
Medium Processor Overclocking Unit I

Hammerhead II x5
Hobgoblin I x5

Inferno Rage Heavy Assault Missile x3300
Scourge Rage Heavy Assault Missile x3300
Missile Precision Script x1
Missile Range Script x1

If you are in immediate need of ISK, just open up agency and go do some more career agents. try to stick for Missiles and Shields for Caldari, do not spread your skills.

1 Like

I am also a brand new player of about 2-3 weeks. I’m having a blast. I did the Seekers missions a couple of times, (Amarr, Minmatar) then decided I preferred Amarr. Did an Exploration mission or two then headed out into space. Hi sec, lo sec then wormhole space. Did some Exploration, PvE and managed to lose a PvP in about 15 seconds. My starting ships were all under or about 1 Mill. Now they cost about just under 2 mill to outfit the way I like. I can make that pretty easily ratting, or exploring. When I ran out of ISK early on after losing a ship, I did a few missions in a ship I didn’t like to much until I got enough ISK to get what I wanted.

Guess what I am saying is get out in the sandbox and have some fun. You’ll lose ships but if your expectation of what you need to fly is in line with what you can afford to lose you won’t get frustrated.

Right now I have enough ISK in my wallet to buy 2 replacements for what I fly. That should get me by for now.

8 Likes

Thanks I will definitely try these fits and keep them in mind for the future.

And nice to hear that you already found your way in Eve Heretic-of-Amarr. I haven’t gone to low sec yet cause I know what will happen lol. I still want to try though but I’m postponing it a bit.

1 Like

while it is nice to learn how other people doing fits it is also good to have some constructive criticism as well:
they are not “cheap” for newer players for the very reason they have meta BCUs (Crosslink Compact Ballistic Control System) in them. Each costs 3-4 mil ISK and he has 2 of those on Kestrel, 3 on a sunesis etc.

outside of a very rare situations where you have to survive initial alpha damage, mixing buffer/passive and active tank is generally not a good idea.

Hmm, I see the problem with brawling enemies. When I was in your position, I swapped to the Algos and drones did all the dirty work, no matter how close the enemy ships were. Caldari are supposed to train rockets and missiles, they also have no close range problem.
But that’s part of the normal learning in EVE:

• Look at the range of your weapons and try to keep that range. Try different Ammo, there is a big optimal range difference between iron and antimatter charges!
  • Align to different points in space (stations, gates, celestials) and learn to gtfo - you’ll need that quite often in many circumstances. If you are kind of trapped by structures or asteroids, find a warp out desto in another direction. But hey, I think all of us lost ships due to a bloody obstacle that prevented us from warping away :slight_smile:
  • If the suggested fits are (too) expensive, think about alternatives. They always told me to fit Arbalest Launcher or Gauss guns (so did the reddit guy), but hey, for Lvl1-2 Missions Scout guns and/or Ample/Limos Launchers perfectly work, too. Just make sure not to mix weapons on one ship, always fit the same type, so they have the same range and can be grouped.
  • Learn about drones. They are awesome, and thus you could finish Lvl1 missions in a battle fit Venture with two turrets and two light drones.
  • Don’t forget to insure your ship if you think they may be in danger, T1 ship insurances make some good money to repurchase the vessel.

And if you’re short on ISK: You can visit 11 further career agents, as stated above. I recommend another race to get an idea about other systems. And because Gallente Indus are very useful and Drones help a lot, you might pay a visit to Couster, where the agents give you several ships for free and about 7m ISK for finishing missions.

3 Likes

hey @Yuri_Paaltomo

first of all you should skill social skill to get more LPs in each mission and gain standings faster:
https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Skills:Social

then of corse level 1 missions give not much isk, not much good items, not much LPs and not much standings … BUT they give standings at all … you need better standings to get higher missions … so … just go on with lvl 1 missions until you can do lvl 2 missions and then lvl 3 and 4 … or … and thats a big OR now … go to the system where the lvl 4 missions are played … find someone in local to join fleet … get standings FAST and do lvl 4 missions soon … thats the lazy tour :wink:

https://evewho.com/pilot/Yuri+Paaltomo
you started EVE on the 9th of Feb 2019 … so not even 1 month now and you think about lvl 4 missions … good thing to have targets … you will need to fly and use a battleship for that … not sure about a T2 cruiser … a T3 cruiser can do it to i guess BUT … thats a lot of skillpoints … i dont know how many skillpoints you have now but if you didnt buy injectors you have not many … so join a new player friendly corp and lern … make some isk … make your steps and learn how to play EVE

you can contact me ingame

JuuR

1 Like

Ok so currently I took up some advice on another thread and switched to a destroyer for level 1 missions. It can do them easily with that much fire power and I can also load up iron ammunition and take enemies out from further away. I just learned I can group weapons, wich in a destroyer is rather nice lol. Me clicking 7 weapons all the time is getting crazy. I’m becoming better at kiting. Instead of coming straight at them and going straight away I am picking lines that kind of brush against their positions. So I get a little closer to bait them. Wich also gives the option of selecting wich group of enemies you want to deal with first. So I’m still learning I guess.

Align to different points in space (stations, gates, celestials) and learn to gtfo - you’ll need that quite often in many circumstances. If you are kind of trapped by structures or asteroids, find a warp out desto in another direction. But hey, I think all of us lost ships due to a bloody obstacle that prevented us from warping away

Yeah that’s actually something I didn’t think about at that moment. I’ve seen that one before about the aligning I’ll look it up. And I haven’t learned about drones yet. And perhaps my destroyer is a good one to insure.

Thanks for all the help. I can learn a lot from it.

Edit: Oh right and the career agenst. That’s a good tip as well, they pay a lot better.

5 Likes

Well done. You’re doing a great job of taking in advice and experience in the game to get better, and ultimately, that’s what the game is all about. One other thing to note is that you can bait them (commonly referred to as “drawing aggro”) by firing a shot at a group and they will generally get you to come after you while you burn to range to engage.

As you get to higher level missions, the aggro conditions will change up a bit, so be ready for that.

1 Like

she means “aggro” lol

1 Like

No, man- I’m either referring to a misspelled (and crappy) US frozen waffle or meaning that if you bait the rats they will start planting seeds to get into agriculture.

Ducking autocorrect… :rofl:

1 Like

Do you play alpha ?

its a no brainer for anyone to scale down from meta 4 , you open market and whoooosh … out pops a whole category. I mean, when I started, and that wasn’t too long ago, it was like that. Then just put them into the fiting window and see if it fits or not.

Also, new players, new alphas, extra buffer needed. We don’t have max resits, we don’t have max speed tank, we don’t have max anything. Buffer = enough reaction time to get away if need to. Most of all, we don’t have cap.

Last but not least, career agents and a couple missions more then cover those fits, even with their meta 4s and a bunch of ISK leftover.

1 Like

scale down that meta BCU then to any other meta that is not standard T1 module.

small extender + shield booster are less efficient than using one medium shield extender on a frigate or destroyer, cruisers and battlecruisers usually use large extenders. it gives enough time to survive whole battle, extra passive shield regen and do not require cap which is perfect for alpha pilots. That also frees rig slots for extra damage or resists instead of cap crutches.

career agents are a finite source of ISK and thus not a reason to fit 10 mil worth of modules on a frigate when you are still learning how to fly ships.

2 Likes

Yuri
Maybe paste in your fit (you can save it as text from the game client), and explain how you use the ship in a mission scenario?

IIRC almost all the L1 missions have a bunch of small ships you can draw out and “defeat in detail”, and a small number of bigger ones later (sometimes one that’s much bigger than you).

Anyway, the mission profile is interesting because some techniques won’t work as well over a range of ship sizes (e.g speed tanking - generally better vs big targets). OTOH kiting + drones (and a range extender) works most of the time, but you can have dps issues against big ships or high resistance / fast regen (Hi Dagan!)
OTOH apart from a few exceptional early missions (like “Burning Down the Hive” and Dagan (both SoE Epic Arc), most fits work ok.

If you do your best to fit for each mission profile, after a while you’ll have faced most mission profiles, and have a large and flexible toolkit for different situations.

https://eve-survival.org/wikka.php?wakka=MissionReports

1 Like

if you need max resists on L1 missions, you are doing something wrong.

LOL dude. you don’t get it. you aint got the ■■■■■■■ PG/CPU to fit the med cause you’re new

lol indeed If you cant fit medium shield extender on a frigate. Fitting skills should be priority to learn anyway, but even with a completely new character there are quite a few ways to do it: pg/cpu rigs, MAPC (is a blessing for new players than need PG), pds (universal module as it boosts cap, cap regen, pg, shield capacity AND shield recharge), RCU (not efficient on frigates compared to other options).

1 Like

Geo

IMO understanding resists helps you to choose ammo for different kinds of rats, and to decide if your racial resist profile has a significant weakness against any specific opponent.

Of course there’s no need to optimize, but IMO resists (and e.g. tracking) are easier to learn from others than from Eve Uni’s wiki.

2 Likes

nothin wrong with that, i was just stating that there’s no reason to try to max out resists on L1… with my kestrel on a fresh character, after all the tutorials and career missions, i can go through any L1 without dying… 2 small shield extenders and adaptive invul field 1 is the only defense i’ve got on that kestrel.