Life of a Shasta supporter: Through the Eyes of a Child

Note: The following are recordings made by Kai Derensi, a young boy from a family of Shasta supporters

05 January YC 123

Beep
Hi! My name is Kai. I’m a fourteen-year old Ni-Kunni boy who lives in Amarrinn. My mother and father are both farmers. We live just outside the Amarrinn city limits.

Our family has lived on this land for at least three generations. We grow Amarrian wheat and sell it in the city, mostly to PMCs and the House Sarum military. I love to live here. It is a beautiful area, with a lot of trees and animals. The sunset is incredibly stunning.

My father is an outspoken critic of certain political figures, such as Duke Kyvon of House Ariend. I fear that his criticisms have endangered our family. Starting a few days ago, a bunch of tough-looking burly guys have been lounging around just past our property’s boundaries. I have no idea who they are, but they are very threatening. Just yesterday, a man walked up to us and “asked” us to sell our property to House Ariend. He offered to pay us ¼ of what our property is worth, and threatened to burn the property down if we refused his offer. Father refused his offer, and I fear that he will carry his threat out. I think that the man is one of the goons who have been watching our farm for the last week. Father says that people like him are bullies who have more bark than bite. He seems unconcerned by the man’s threats. I hope that he is right.

Anyways, that’s all for now. See you next time!
-Kai

3 Likes

09 January YC 123

Beep

Hey, it’s Kai again! I just got back from school. I guess my family isn’t the only one being threatened. I spoke with my friend Sarah a few days ago. She says that some envoys from House Ariend have been trying to buy her family’s mine for, I think it was 1/10 of what the mine is worth. I’ve been on the Galnet all night, trying to see if this is illegal. I think that it is, but I’m not really sure how to make a claim. I’ve been holding a poll in my school. Twelve of the twenty students in my class are from Shasta-supporting families, and nine of the twelve say that their families have been threatened by goons from House Ariend. I really hope that these guys back off, ‘cause they’re really scaring some of my friends. Anyways, that’s all for now. See you next time!

-Kai

2 Likes

22 January YC123

Beep

This is Kai. Sorry I’m talking so softly, but I think I shouldn’t be recording now. I have no idea where I am. I’m in a small room with my parents and Sarah. The floor is black tile, and the walls are rough. I think it’s stucco. It’s painted grey, at least. I think that this is a slave holding facility. These rooms look like prison cells. I’ve got no idea why I’m here.

I don’t really remember what happened yesterday. Sarah was at my house for a sleepover and we were watching a movie when some black figures, I think they were men, kicked in our door. I think … I think they cuffed and gagged us and then … I don’t remember. Well, I think that they were kidnappers and they brought us here. But I really don’t know why they decided to kidnap us. Like, my family isn’t very wealthy. We’re just farmers. And Sarah’s family’s mine isn’t very profitable. They aren’t wealthy by any standards. In fact, I think that they are even poorer than us. I …

Wait, I think the guards are coming back. Gotta go.

-Kai

3 Likes

05 February YC123

Beep

This is Kai. Sorry it has been so long since my last recording. I tried making a few last week, but I got caught by a guard and he confiscated all of the recordings, except for the one from the first day. I was able to hide that one. Earlier this morning, a bunch of black-clad armored men broke down the door to the room we were in. They said that they were Legionnaires and they were getting us out. They brought us out of the room and into a large hangar bay. I could see bodies strewn about all over the corridors in the facility. The troopers had us board a Bestower that they had either docked at the station or seized. I’m not sure which, because the transport had some weird livery on it. REALLY weird. Like, it looked like … gold camouflage? … I feel weird just describing it!

Anyhow, the Legionnaires undocked the transport and took it into warp. We ended up at another deadspace facility. One in another system, though. I asked a Legionnaire, who said that Legion engineers had erected it half a week ago. He said we were in a system called Itamo, and the facility we had been rescued from was an arms factory/slave labor camp in a system called Jakanerva.

He also explained a bit about why all of this happened. He said that my family supported Shasta Ardeind over his elder brother Kyvon, and … I was a bit confused about this … it seemed really, really complex, but as far as I can tell, Kyvon decided to kidnap people like me … Shasta supporters, because he wanted to pressure Shasta? I think? Anyway, Shasta found out and planned a raid. I also noticed that a bunch of Guristas were walking around in the facility. With GUNS! And the Legionnaires didn’t seem to care! I asked a nearby Legionnaire about this, and he said that the Guristas had been hired to help the Legion execute the raid and save us! I didn’t know that they do this! I thought that the Guristas were bloodthirsty pirates who killed everyone in their way of making money!

Anyhow, today has been a confusing day, but I’ve learned A LOT! I sure hope this doesn’t happen again, though. Well, that’s all for today. Now, I gotta go get some food, and turn in for a nap.

-Kai

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Re-Opened thread at the polite request of OP