Linux Desktop is standardizing

Dear CCP,

The Linux desktop is becoming more standardized since Ubuntu decided to abandon the Unity/Mir combination and go for the GNOME desktop, and major distributions started adopting Wayland. The standard desktop stack for Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, and many others seems to be or soon going to involve Wayland and GNOME or some fork of GNOME.

Given these new developments, is there any discussions being had on improving support for EVE Online on Linux in the near term? Perhaps making it more official now that it will very likely become easier to support?

I am a software developer, I work on a Linux laptop. When I am travelling this is what I bring with me, and I would like to be able to play EVE Online without having to dual-boot. I know that many EVE Online players are also software developers, and among this demographic Linux desktops are pretty common.

Greetings, and thanks for the effort done so far to keep the unofficial version going, even if it doesn’t yet run on my Fedora 27 box with Wayland.

1 Like

Eve runs under Wine and CCP appears committed to maintaining that compatibility for the Linux and MacOS communities. Since it runs on the Mac and a number of Linux distributions, the problem is likely between your distribution and Wine. I doubt that CCP will ever invest in native support for Linux or Mac - too much effort, too little reward.

Good to know that Ubuntu finally gave up Unity. I don’t like Unity and Cinnamon, because they eat up so much cpu and memory when running applications. MATE and Xfce are much better in term of performance.

I don’t think CCP will officially support Linux any time soon, unless the number of players using Linux is at least as much as mac users. Linux market share is now just too thin to justify adding man power for system support. Moreover, supporting Linux will require more staffs than supporting Windows. I am sure average users will file more supporting tickets if they switch from Windows to Linux. Just think about how many times you have to use terminal commands to fix the problems of EVE client. Average gamers who grew up with Windows would not know how to use DOS command prompt, not to mention Linux terminal.

1 Like

Make sure you’ve got msttcorefonts/ttf-mscorefonts-installer installed.

If I understand correctly standardization is a mute factor now considering Flatpak. Just make a EVE Online Flatpak or Snap. Prefer Flatpak since it doesn’t require you to have an Ubuntu One account. I will be willing to toss in a little money to help get a Flatpak made for EVE.

@Erasmus_Grant a Flatpak is a little less useful in this situation considering the program itself isn’t native. At that point it’s still a wine wrapper, though I admit it would be nice to have the launcher in a flatpak for standardization.

@Anton_Kring Eve runs super well in Wine. Just add winehq to your sources.list and install wine-staging from there, use DX9 and disable post-processing in game and you’re good to go.

I used snap a few days ago on a debian and it did not require any account.

They addressed a lot of issues the community had and it actually looks now like they are quite ahead of the game compared to flatpack.

So, i now have my first Linux machine and I followed the procedures in this thread (to the best of my abilities). But i appear to have done something wrong. Eve works, but i get these errors after running the evelauncher.sh file in the terminal. I’d appreciate any assistance as i’m not a Linux power-user by any means. Thoughts? (edit - the forums say i’m a new poster and the text from the terminal allegedly had too many links. Forgive the formatting, please.)

scott@scott-HP-Pavilion-dv6-Notebook-PC:~$ '/home/scott/Desktop/EveLauncher/evelauncher.sh' 

[1219/091740:WARNING:resource_bundle.cc(291)] locale_file_path.empty() for locale 
Installed Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /home/scott/evelauncher/translations/qtwebengine_locales. Trying application directory...
Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /home/scott/evelauncher/qtwebengine_locales. Trying fallback directory... Translations MAY NOT not be correct.

[1219/091740:WARNING:resource_bundle.cc(291)] locale_file_path.empty() for locale 

[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.

[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.so.

ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.
[1219/091901:WARNING:resource_bundle.cc(291)] locale_file_path.empty() for locale 

Installed Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /home/scott/evelauncher/translations/qtwebengine_locales. Trying application directory...
Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /home/scott/evelauncher/qtwebengine_locales. Trying fallback directory... Translations MAY NOT not be correct.

[1219/091901:WARNING:resource_bundle.cc(291)] locale_file_path.empty() for locale 

[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.

[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.so.

Well–you “should” have started a new thread for this–I stumbled upon your problem & it’s very similar to the one I had-- Just coming back & have a hosts issue (SOLVED) Seems the client is “choking” on downloading all the resources (8GB !!) & then complains about it. See the thread I referenced in my thread for your information.

1 Like

Thank You and maybe I am a noob! Lol I’ll try this tonight

Not a problem–welcome to Linux–hope you enjoy the trip…

1 Like

Only 7% of players use Linux. It would take 20 Dev hours to even investigate how to make a Linux Launcher.

No you can’t have it.

(made up numbers).

It’s probably a lot less than 7% and there already is a native Linux launcher. Or what was it you where trying to say?

There is not a native launcher, there is an application that installs Wine.

A part from that, my response was to the original post, you can try read that one if you are confused.

There is a native launcher dude. The launcher was written in QT and CCP Snorlax compiled it for Linux and there is a thread with the link where you can download it.

The launcher will run the windows Eve client with a version of wine it manages, but the launcher itself is a native Linux binary

I’d like to mention couple of thoughts here.

1. CCP Hilmar likes to tell at fanfests how innovative CCP Games is. Present day innovations - not DX12, it’s rather Vulkan and multiplatform games. Look how many games on Steam have win-mac-lin support today. Most of them are indie and relatively small (big titles like XCOM or Deus Ex, etc etc, are present too), which only means that big companies are just slow on the start. “Innovative” CCP games seems to be even slower.
  2. CCP is slowly dropping dx9 support, it’s kept mostly for Mac users. Wine doesn’t support dx11 properly yet.
  3. An innovative company would’ve secretly or openly started switching away from DirectX about 3-5 years ago and nowadays should’ve been very close to having eve on vulkan.

I really love eve, ccp games and eve-universe, but points like these mentioned above plus events with dust514, choices made with eve valkyrie (VR -> PC instead of PC -> VR) - make me worry about eve’s future much-much more than any most dubious changes in gameplay.

I resubbed recently, anyway.
Sigh :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.