Living Will,.who gets my Eve game?

I hope CCP takes on this
Its really important for the game and the players

CCP gets your stuff.

So, It’s not YOURS to start with.
It’s CCP’s.

There was a thread a while back about someone who was going through a divorce, and the about-to-be-ex partener wanted half of the Real World value of the in game items.

If I recall, it was deemed to not be owned by the player, so it was worth zero. The player just rents time and the ability to play with the game company’s assets, but the assets ultimately belong to the company and not the player.

–Gadget will be buried in her Skiff

2 Likes

Wow… interesting topic along with interesting ideas above.

I would be interested in knowing when a character is transferred if any in-game assets can be included in that transfer or is it just a character/jump clone(s)/SKIN Collection? What happens to the “notes”? I have used that in-game feature extensively and it would be nice to pass on along with my character in the case where a relative is interested taking over the character. I love the fact that you can link notes and use nested folders.

I have discussed passing on the Bus when I die or at least a fair amount of its assets. One daughter is supportive of this. I do not care to pass on my account, just make sure the charity funds and ships do not die with me.

Getting older makes you start thinking about things like this and I do think that it is a new way of looking that things, digital assets is already an issue for actors who do NOT want to be CGI returned after they pass away.

It may all be pixels and not even ours and yet we do hold some attachment to them.

m

4 Likes

Well of course youll die if you have that kind of attitude.

I posted something similar a few years back after an eve online friend of mine passed away.

1 Like

If I upload my consciousness into a computer and then have that play EvE after I die, does that count as botting?

But seriously we should be able to pass on our accounts. It’s not like CCP is going to lose money from letting someone else have a dead man’s stuff.

1 Like

We already have the issue of generational wealth in real life - why import it into a game? While I understand the views expressed, I disagree with them. Why should others have to suffer a Kennedy or Rockefeller style dynastical-character in the game?

The older characters already have tremendous advantage over new players; having them die off at the same time as their owner is, I think, an intended result.

Definitely a first-world issue, but how are the corp-members and/or friends of the dead person gonna feel seeing a new entity animating and controlling whatever their friend had? Is that even ethical to begin with? Would they be notified, or just have to find out by experience, when suddenly the person they knew starts acting very differently, doesn’t know this or that, etc, etc?

It’s digital junk. Just let it go.

Just give your grandkid your account username/password. Hopefully by the time you pass they will be able to have a CC to keep the account funded (not that there is anything wrong with alpha mode).

I don’t think CCP needs to be directly involved.

To me the big question is not my EvE account, but my Star Citizen account. Will Star Citizen finally be released by the time my kid has kids? Will my grandkids finally be able to fly the freelancer that I purchased back in 2014?

1 Like

But they would need to acknowledge that the account and assets can BE owned by someone other than CCP.

That’s the legal problem in their eyes.

–Judge Gadget

I think people are getting caught up in technicalities and forgetting what the EULA that gets quoted is probably for.

No, you do not own your digital assets, nor do you own your account. Why is this? At least partly because if you owned any of that, you could engage in RMT and have a pretty solid defense if someone tries to penalize you for selling things that you own.

CCP has the right to govern how its accounts and assets are used or transferred. The EULA is a straight jacket for the player, but not for CCP, who can (and does!) permit game assets to be traded between accounts. You can select the price, and to whom you sell these items, as long as the price is denominated in ISK. You are transferring property between accounts all the time using the market, or looting the wrecks of other players.

The sticky part is having someone act as executor for the deceased. Like how would CCP verify that? I don’t know, and if they can’t, then allowing joe random to mess with another person’s account is a no no. An estate executor does a lot of things that would be highly illegal were the person they were executor for still alive, but it is their job to do these things and tidy up loose ends as directed by the wishes of the deceased. This includes closing their accounts, settling bills, and whatever else needs doing. Nobody ‘owns’ their account with the electric or gas companies, but someone has to shut down or transfer those services. The Eve account is not much different in this regard.

The only way to know what CCP will allow is to ask, and they may say ‘no’, but I see no obvious reason for them to deny a person their wish to have their items and wealth given to another player after death, or even their characters if the fees normally associated with the transfer are paid by the estate. I gave away all my stuff and they didn’t have a problem with me doing that while I was alive. I don’t understand why they’d have a problem with it after I was dead, other than the headache of trying to figure out how to verify a person’s capacity to act as executor on my behalf.

Absent an official response or ruling, submit a support ticket and see if anything can be done for you, at least if you want to be completely above board with the transfer.

2 Likes

I used to wonder if humans would really accept living in VR when it becomes immersive enough… Threads like this? I might have been wrong. What with the interesting, but ultimately useless simulation-argument ideas, apparently people WILL be willing to attach great value to virtual ‘things.’

I admit this surprises me. Despite the potential of the simulation argument, and virtual realities in general, the only practical choice is to assume that you inhabit the substrate universe 0, are not a simulation, and live accordingly. But we’re worried about passing on eve toons? Not promising for the future of humanity.

You could listen to people in the comments… or you could find a lawyer and make a will and put the UN and PW and a designated recipient and they could just download and pick up like nothing ever happened…

But that would be against TOS. I wouldn’t do that…

:wink:

1 Like

A will, at least in the United States, becomes a public document when filed with the court. Generally, you would not want to include usernames and passwords to your accounts in a will. If you wish to record these for the sake of your heirs, you should do that in a separate document.

Stop thinking about things that dont matter. You want to know the secret of happiness?
Appreciate what you have. Now go play the video game and enjoy it nerd.

1 Like

It’s really not. Just specify that the account credentials can be transferred upon death of the holder, but CCP still owns it.

That’s against the TOS, though.

==Gadget does note the practicality

1 Like

I would contact support about it and see what they say. Replies in the forum are not the official CCP stance. I wouldnt hold my hopes high about it, though.

Then again, how would CCP know if the account has changed hands? The only thing that could give it away is changing the payment details, right?

I see this post as some whiny immoral attention seeking post and an insult to a real life tragedy for the actual family.