Local Comms Blackout - Discussion Thread

Yep. I know. He was a manipulating people at every step, relying on them being predictable.

1 Like

not really, we are not a big null alliance… there is lots of people in null who are not in a big alliance… just like the opposite in fw… plenty of fw groups that are bigger than us…

so im wondering what this benefit is supposedly? the blackout has brought no meaningful bonus or good gameplay for us.

It would benefit fw a lot more than null, as if its like you say smaller groups then they would not have access to intel the resources that null alliances would have.

3 Likes

On that vid “I Just do things, I dont have a plan…” its like CCP they just react and do changes without thinking really. I think it is just because few of the dev’s in CCP read too much Reddit and just “react’s” to a few % of the gamers what they want from this game and do it. It seems that if you “whine and cry” enough in Reddit they just make the change without thinking how it will affect the rest of the players and the game.

4 Likes

That you do not personally like something does not mean it was not thought out. So far (and, as virtually everyone who isn’t shrieking about this has noted, it’s too early to draw any substantive conclusions), we’ve seen a negligible dip in PCU, an increase in PvP activity, and a decrease in ratting.

None of these indicate that this is the catastrophic blunder that you want to think it is simply because you don’t like it.

1 Like

Its not only what I like or not. I am more like an “concerned citizen” in EvE that do not want people leaving this game when CCP does “stupid” (my opinion) game changes.

1 Like

“It’s not that I don’t like it, it’s just that I don’t like it.” :roll_eyes:

1 Like

A few things.

First, it’s a change that’s been discussed for a long time. CCP keeps hearing how this one little change will make everything better, and they’ve resisted making that change. So now they’ve decided to make that change. If nothing else, the change demonstrates that CCP really does want to try to address the problems in their game, and that they’re willing to make changes just to try to get a better handle on what those problems really are.

Because problems aren’t always immediately apparent. Often, a ‘problem’ is actually just a symptom, and addressing the symptom just means the real problem goes unchecked, and gets worse over time. So them trying to get a clear handle on things is good. Them wanting to make a change in order to do that—one that can be just as easily reversed, mind you—is also good.

That’s the second thing: Reversability is a big factor in the initial tests they need to do: that it can be easily reversed. Until they know what the hell they’re doing, you don’t want them doing anything they can’t undo. Turning off local? They can turn that back on. Removing all supercapitals from the game? Not really so easy to reverse, especially when you factor in the story factor they will build around whatever change they make.

Third, it lets them start to collect data on more things than just PCU. Making this change doesn’t just change how many people are logged in. It changes what they’re doing. And CCP can see those changes. So they can collect the data on ‘ok, so with imperfect intelligence, X happens’ and then try to figure out which parts of X are about Local actually being ‘delayed’, and which parts are just about how players perceive things to be going.

• Example: More kills over this past weekend. Is that because more people ratting and mining got caught? Or is it because more people expected to catch people… so there were more roaming gangs, and they hit one another? Those are two different effects, and two different sets of behavior, and knowing which you’re dealing with can produce different responses, depending on what you want to encourage or discourage.

Fourth: It lets CCP shake up the bots. I mean, let’s face it, it definitely did that. No way around that, the bots losing local made the script writers change how they do things. CCP can watch people they suspect are bots. They can see how their inputs have changed in response to this. More, if they undo the Blackout, they can watch how/if those inputs change again, and see if there’s ways they maybe make it more difficult for the bots to compensate for things like this.

That’s four benefits, right off the top of my head. Now, I know you’re probably thinking ‘I mean, how does this make my immediate gameplay better?’ and all I can tell you is: maybe it doesn’t. But in the long run, you’re better served by CCP doing this, and using the information they get, than you are by them not doing this, and everything just continuing to coagulate around you until all of null is a single, unyielding gestalt.

1 Like

By removing local in null-sec will fix this problem? What problem?

3 Likes

Your opinion that they’re just randomly, thoughtlessly “doing whatever” is pig-ignorant.

CCP is literally the only party with anything substantive on the line here. They’re “playing” for jobs, food on their tables, and their mortgages. Your stake in the matter is, “but muh video game!!” It’s not so much that the position is stupid as it is disgustingly narcissistic and self-involved. You may or may not be stupid, but continually stating that they’re just blindly blundering around with nary a thought given to the consequence definitely makes you an asshole.

1 Like

Thanks for the free SP; Please implement something cool following this black out with some new game play mechanics… maybe a deployable local jammer or something… or a specialized intelligence ship… that can do cool stuff like… cargo/fitting scanning with a new combat probe… detect the presence of cloaked ship… block or see local… or have like system wide dscan or auto pulsing dscan… ofc find some kinda vulnerability or limitation… maybe default view signature types in the probe scanner… it would be good come up with something useful other than … hahaha no local… die stupid krab… i hope you quit playing eve… can i haz you stuff cause… just some shameless posting in the barrel of sht and salt to top it off… REEEEEE MF’ers

the bot problem for example, it is so tiring running through dozens of system with just insta pulling vnis. Also the stalled and far to safe nullsec in comparision to for example lowsec regarding the rewards. Just to call two examples.

1 Like

They really did not need to remove local because of this. Really they got tools to find and locate the bots. They really do not need players help to report the bots. To solve the “bot” problem with removing local is a wrong move fixing a problem that might or might not be the first place and hurting normal players doing stuff like this.

There is better way of solving the “bot” problem … if there really is a “bot” problem in the first place. They got the data and using data analysis they can find who those “bots” are.

2 Likes

None of those 4 benefits make any sense and they are just an “excuse” for a CCP Dev to have an personal agenda behind all of this to hurt the null-sec.

2 Likes

Pretty extraordinary claim. Also, objectively kind of stupid, since all four of those benefits make perfect sense.

What motivation do you imagine CCP would have to “hurt” nullsec? Does money from nullsec players not spend or something?

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

I heard on the teevee that if you keep telling the same lie over and over again, eventually it becomes true.

1 Like

Especially if you just keep repeating it without backing it up in any way whatsoever.

I mean, there’s this orange dude getting away with it, consistently.

2 Likes

you really like to crap post don’t you lol.

1: they have been resisting the change yes… why in my and lot of other peoples view? because they could see what would happen but the derp 1337 pvp players could not… hence this atm.

2: no guaranty the players that left will come back to the game. a simple forum post and a vote would give them a rough idea before they potentially mess up.

3: just need to look at the kb to see what most of the kills are now, and if the people killing and being killed are related to the sov neary by… I will wait for you to finish gathering all the kills like you say you are [pretty sure it was you who was doing that, sorry if not] and then you can come back to me on that… but I have stated what I think it will show from the pages that I have looked at on kb.

4: lol shake up the bots? umm ok… go to any ice belt in high sec that’s how shaken the bots are… [ohh no I cant bot in null… ok I will bot in high instead]… … really go check some ice belts and see for you self.

4 Likes

And does this make you an asshole too?

2 Likes