Lvl 2 Security Ship Suggestion/Loadout

Hey All,

Need some advice please. I lost my ship on the last lvl 1 security mission (About to reach lvl 2) due to some stupidness on my part. Headed into combat when I should have waited for the drones to finish the job from a distance :roll_eyes:

Anyhow, 2 questions:

1. Is there anyway to see my ship and fittings that was destroyed? (I know there was an option to save layout but I didn’t).

2. I have around 18M ISK. I’d like a suggestion for a ship I can start lvl 2 security missions in around that budget. I have a ton of ships I received as rewards doing the agent tutorials but I heard they’re all trash? Obviously, I’d like to NOT spend every ISK on the new ship!

3. Should I bulk up the cash situation? If so, how? Mining?

Thanks,

Rocky.

Level 2 missions are intended for new players flying cruisers. With better skills you can run them with assault frigates or pirate frigates but they are expensive.

For Gallente, most people choose the Vexor for level 2 missions. A discussion can be found at https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Mission_ships

If you haven’t already done so, I recommend you run the SOE Epic Arc. The rewards will easily pay for a mission fit cruiser and you’ll need one to take down Dagan at the end of the arc. https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/The_Blood-Stained_Stars

Seamus Donahue has an excellent video walkthrough of the arc: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2C4F8D9B337870FC

2 Likes

In answer to the three questions:

1: fitting of the destroyed ship. If you look back in your notifications list then you’ll see a kill mail (report) for your loss. In that will be the details of the ship, fittings and all, that you lost.

2: For Level 2 missions you’ll need a cruiser. They’ll start at about 9-10m ISK for the hull alone. Depending on your preferences you should be able to fit it for less than another five million ISK. I can’t suggest a specific fit as I don’t know you’d skills. Each Empire has one or two good mission running cruisers. Fit to the bonuses, typically avoid the ones with E-war or remote support bonuses. Bottom right of the simulated fit window has an estimated price for the ship as you assemble it. There are significant price differences between modules that are superficially similar. And buy at one of the market hubs: Amarr, Rens, Jita (if you must - I find it too busy) the prices are better.
The free ships from the tutorial agents are good ships. But they are Frigates - they’ll, if fitted appropriately, do alright for level 1 missions, but level 2 missions are hard work.
I still remember mission running and mining to scrape together ISK for my first cruiser for mission running: an Arbitrator in my case, even though it’s a support ship really.
I like the Arbitrator. Served me well.
Be wary of putting all your ISK in one ship - losing it will hurt.

3: earning ISK. Mining is easy and boring. Mission running is steady - and looting/salvaging the wrecks can increase the income. I earn my income through industry - I like making things for profit, but that needs capital. Taking missions in lower security areas (for example 0.6 is still high security space) normally gives a better reward, as does focusing on one agent or corporation. You can buy things to sell with LP. Faction ammunition is normally reliable as most people who can afford it buy it and use it.
Find someone to fly with, a pair of you can jointly do missions and the rewards are shared in a fleet - and you can both fly the highest missions one of you have access to (so I could take you on a Level 4 mission if you want to be brutalised).
Exploration (one of the free ships is an explorer) can be lucrative. Wormholes especially so, but with profit comes risk. Always bookmark the exit, always assume someone is trying to kill you. Learn to use d-scan.
In general, keep plugging away - the early days in Eve, as with life, can feel hard. Being part of a group makes it easier.

Reach out to me in game if you wish.

2 Likes

There u go. This bad boi can run both lvl 2 and 1 missions + hs combat anomalies. Dont know ur skills but that is the fit.

[Caracal, Caracal]
Ballistic Control System II
Damage Control II
[empty low slot]

Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Medium Shield Booster II
Large Compact Pb-Acid Cap Battery
50MN Quad LiF Restrained Microwarpdrive
Medium Shield Extender II

Rapid Light Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Scourge Light Missile

Medium Ancillary Current Router I
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I
Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I

Hornet II x2

U can switch rlm with lm launchers and free more powergrid. Solid and ez ship.

Eh? Lv2 missions can be easily done in a (properly fit)t1 frigate and a complete cake walk for destroyers.

It largely depends on what ship and weapon type skills have you trained up until now. IF you provide more information it’ll be way easier to come up with a suggestion.

With adequate skills yes.
For a new player with limited skills in weapons, fitting and the relevant spaceships, as well as limited funds and experience, not so simple.

2 Likes

for a T1 frigate maybe, but any sanely meta-fit destroyer will just outgun/outrange EVERYTHING L2 missions can throw at you.

Yes I agree. But that’s Experience talking.
And how many new players will fit a Coercer with pulse lasers and multifrequency crystals for maximum firepower and go wading in close? Because that’s what works in Level 1 missions, but normally gets you a world of pain in level 2.

I agree you can do level 2 missions in (good) Frigates and Destroyers (plinking from range), but you need knowledge and experience to do that. @Ms_Steak has that experience, I have it (and a really nice salvaging Dragoon for it - that’s battlefield OCD for you!). Someone a week into Eve probably doesn’t and I don’t want to see them hurt because of it.

I’m Old and Grey.

1 Like

Forgot to mention, i’m still an alpha player right now. Part of the Gallente.
I also wanted to say a big thanks for everyone for the advice!

Rocky.

Get an algos and a flight of light drones.
Its really doesnt matter how you fit it as long as lows are filled with Drone Damage Amplifiers, although some shield buffer (Medium shield extender (MSE) and Invulnerability field or 2nd MSE) and AB wont hurt in the mids.

As for tactic: launch the drones and orbit something at range (20km) on AB.

The cost is lower than 2 mil, including drones:

Pyfa Screenshot

1 Like

I’m a super noob (less than 2 weeks), and my T1 Algos fit that I snagged from the Wiki is just blowing through L2 missions. I have some guns aboard in case someone gets close, but almost every bad guy dies by drone-icide before I even turn them on. I’ve been concentrating on my Drones and shield rigging skills. Drones and shields for Gallente folks…

The Algos is a ship that for missions can realistically be shield fitted because you don’t need tackle in the mid-slots. Gallente ships are more commonly armour tanked. Otherwise, yes an Algos is a classic “Frigate Destroyer” - lightly defended ship with devastating firepower against smaller ships.
I fly a Dragoon (the Amarr drone based Destroyer) - I suspect you can build a similar mission fit as your Algos, but with an additional low-power slot for another drone damage amplifier. Fewer turrets though.

Most importantly it’s not “what you fly” but that you enjoy flying it.

Welcome to New Eden.
The stars are your playground.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.