Main AFK cloaky thread

If you dont care, why bring it up?

And why outside of the main thread?

1 Like

you make some valid points in regards to the relative safety of J-space vs K-space and the ability to control the field and deny access. but one other key-component you have left out, is that J-space doesn’t have cynos. which means that the potential for escalation is inherently limited. so, everything that you said above about the differences is true. but imagine if in J-space, when the cloaky camper de-cloaked, they could also open up an instant one way wormhole to say HK or LZHWK (or whoever of the big boys is left in wormholes and hasn’t moved to drone lands) home system that they can bring an infinite number of ships of any size through… and then you start to get a better idea of the differences between how the mechanics operate in both areas.

personally, I don’t have much of a problem with them being the way they are now either. similar mechanics, but with different uses and different counter-options. and overall I think it works pretty well, if slightly differently in both areas. the problem comes from one area of space being convinced that if only they did this, that, or the other thing to make it more like the other area of space, the whole game would be better.

im conflicted,
you don’t technically deserve the usual paddling,
but aaaaaaaaaaany second now some earnest little bright spark is going to sound off so im going to preempt it now.

source

1 Like

Mike defeating himself again. Instead of mining or ratting in pvp tanked ships the just gave up. Defeated by an empty chair.

So? Why didn’t player B fit a cyno? And why use a retriever if you see a guy in local who isn’t blue when the exact same skills get you into the very tankable procurer?

And why didn’t Player A use d-scan? Handy tool to see if one is alone. How come the retriever wasn’t using d-scan. Interdictors cannot warp cloaked.

Great story…but not very compelling.

Perfect and clear synthesis. Can’t say better myself.

Even a very long cycle would be fine (2 hours if you want) but force player to stay focused on his game.

I just used a retriever at random. You’re right that procurers are gonna be used instead of the others in these situations.

For Player B, there are cloaked camps who are either random alts or salty lone wolves with a chip on their shoulder. My old nereus had survived two such encounters in one day, but that’s a story for another day. Now my knowledge of cyno usage is virtually non-existent since I haven’t used or even been a victim of its use. If you know or observed how cloaked campers use cynos to attack enemy ships, please educate me on it.

For Player A, I’ll explain a few essentials about wormhole activity. Because there is a lack of local chat, wormholers like to exploit this mechanic to its fullest. There’s a reason why covert ops ships like the astero and stratios are immensely popular in wormhole corps. Now if Player A is observing a lone mining barge out in a wormhole system they’re hunting in, he’ll only know what he can see and what D-scan will pick up. D-scan will not pick up those cloaked ships sitting on or off grid and waiting for the order to attack. Until Player A initiates the attack, he’ll never truly know if he and that barge are the only two players in the field.

The one thing I’ve learned about wormholers is that they are some of the most patient bastards you’ll ever meet in this game.

And sneaky, don’t forget sneaky.

My point is that a cyno modules do not just fit on cloaking ships. You can fit one on a procurer. You can fit one on a ratting ship. In Delve all ratting carriers and rorquals fit a cyno. There is a standing cap fleet made of other ratting carriers and faxes sitting on stations. So when you get tackled you yell on comms, and when told to light the cyno and the calvary comes through.

Maybe so, but I am unconvinced. This story is predicated on you already knowing there is a cloaky there and having cloaked ships sitting and waiting. Since you don’t know this is the case it is basically that wormhole groups always have a cloaked fleet sitting around idle. Maybe that is true, but it sounds amazingly wasteful. Here, please sit in this cloaking ship and do nothing to acquire ISK/resources for a few hours. There have been a number of wormholers in this thread and they have never indicated this is the case.

Other than when you are cloaked at a safe you really don’t impact game play except via local…which the other side uses to ensure their safety.

Sauce for the goose, Mr. Savik.

A 2 hour cycle time would mean waiting 2 hours for the cloak to turn off when you deactivate it. The game doesn’t support modules that can turn on or off instantly but also have a 2 hour cycle time. Sounds like a lot of programmer time to rework the code for a “fix” that can be circumvented with a simple script that presses F1 once every 2 hours.

Try having a standing fleet active to defend your space. Maybe alliances wouldn’t have such a hard time attracting actual PVP players if there wasn’t such a huge focus on avoiding all forms of PVP through intel tools. I’ve had alts in alliances that actually yelled at people for fighting back against roamers, because “it only encourages them to come back”. With that kind of environment it’s no wonder you only attract renters and ratters who rely on intel tools and forum whining to turn nullsec into highsec with better rewards.

Wat? This is completely outrageous sir. What do you think this is? A PvP game?

This is why these ideas to put a timer on are so wrong. If a player patiently stalks another for 15 or 20 hours the game should not punish his patience.

So cynos can’t be used by an attacking covert ops ship, alright then. For an alliance your size you got the logistics to maintain a proper response fleet to defend each other. Smaller pocket alliances however don’t have such luxuries. I’ve been on the receiving end of cloaked campers while participating in those smaller groups who don’t have the logistics to maintain a proper response fleet like that.

If someone’s real bored, got an alt, and isk to spare, they’ll go do things that aren’t isk-effective. You could also be me who’s not interested in maxing out my isk/hr. The cloaky camper can (and frequently is) somebody’s combat alt that’s just parked in the system and left there for days or weeks and do nothing. Eventually people get complacent about his presence, and that’s usually when someone dies.

Ain’t luxuries. They’re mandatory. No one deserves space. Ya gotta earn it and make sure no one’s takin’ it. And if ya paid for it, then ya really shouldn’t be havin’ it. That’s not a bob damn opinion, it’s how the game works in general.

What on earth are they doing in NS then? If you can’t defend your space against a handful of hostiles you have bigger problems.

This is a failing of the alliance then. If 10 or 15 guys are going to cause this much of a headache what do you do when 250 roll on in and start shooting all your stuff?

Awesome.

I don’t know what the hell the first alliance I was in was doing. My corp eventually left because of a complete lack of support. My second time in nullsec that alliance fell apart because they were forced to retreat from their home and couldn’t re-establish themselves in a new region. The second one was fun while it lasted because the local raiders weren’t used to fighting people looking for an excuse to fight back.

EVE working as intended. You tried, you failed, you got kicked out and had to go back to highsec. The solution is to get better at EVE and have a stronger alliance next time, not to whine that PvP happens in nullsec and you can’t just farm PvE sites all day.

100% uncounterable cloaking is dumb.
100% accurate local intel is also dumb.

1 Like

Cloaking doesn’t DO anything to other ships, what exactly are you trying to counter?