Main AFK cloaky thread

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

afks

needs fixing.
anti cloak probes that take 10min to lock down a target. problem solved. Active cloakers are not effected. Afk cloakers and the cancer they are get removed.

6 Likes

except they can move. And the problem is the power projection they represent.

2 Likes

Explain exactly how can they move tactically or strategically (except being aligned towards something) while being AFK. I have thought that you could only dscan, warp, drop cloak, tackle and light cynos while actually sitting at your keyboard but apparently I’m wrong here.

6 Likes

This kills gameplay wormhole space.

2 Likes

Read the thread title, the key word is AFK…

If someone is AFK, by definition they’re not there and thus unable to make their cloaky ship move.

Link me a killmail of a single person who killed someone while AFK with an active cloak and I’ll agree with you.

2 Likes

I couldn’t care less about if they change this or not, but you are wrong. When people talk about “AFK cloaky” ships, what they really mean is “someone who is cloaking and might or might not be AFK, and thus is exerting power over the decision of other players in any of either circumstance”. I think that is ok in the market, but considering how everything else in EVE works, it does seem a bit out of place.

Anyways, my only wish is that there was a way to hunt cloaked ships down inside a system, even if it took a lot of effort, because I believe no one ever in this game should be 100% safe.

6 Likes

You shouldn’t always know if someone is there or not. Especially in null.

That’s why afk cloaking stays until something happens to local.

3 Likes

The only power in play here is the power of fear.

An AFK, or not, cloaker is manipulating other players own fear against them; mechanics changes can’t fix an irrational response.

2 Likes

Sure, whatever.

You’re wrong, again. Whichever emotional response is affecting player decisions doesn’t matter, what matters is it’s doing so in-game from a position of absolute safety.

4 Likes

You keep telling me I’m wrong, yet failing to explain why.

Fear is a cloakers most powerful weapon, the fear of them lighting a cyno, the fear of them spying, etc; while cloaked they can’t do much except move around, while AFK cloaked they can’t do anything at all, except prey on your fear.

While AFK cloaking contains little or no risk, it also receives no rewards; beyond that given by other players curtailing their own activities out of irrational fear, and in the form of whining on the forums.

1 Like

Whilst in contrast, ratting in null receives huge rewards for almost no risk. That’s why afk cloaking exists. To balance those rewards (and even then its not enough).

Afk cloaking doesn’t wreck the game. Don’t like the risk? Get out of null. Hi-sec is your thing.

On the other hand, nullbears ARE wrecking the game by injecting ridiculous amounts of isk into the economy. The ‘cancer’ is null bears.

4 Likes

I dropped on a system with Bomber’s Bar in a Falcon. We blapped a rorqual and the fleet extracted, but i had a RL emergency come up and just logged off in system.
The local residents were astute enough to see that i had not left with the fleet but instead logged off and decided not to mine there for a week straight, waiting for confirmation that i had left.

I have the eve-mails to prove this actually happened - peopl mailed me asking if i had left that system or not yet. To put it bluntly, eve is dangerous. Dark matter consists entirely of cloaked Proteii, and you just need to deal with it. Go about your mining ops, do your PVE, and be prepared to kill or be killed at any moment.

11 Likes

EVE PHYSICS FTW

1 Like

I told you you were wrong and proceded to tell you why.

1 Like

AFK cloaking and ratting rewards have no causal relationship whatsoever, they’re both emergent happenings from the meta. If you want to balance nullsec ratting rewards, you don’t rely on contingent and unpredictable solutions.

Now, I agree it doesn’t wreck the game, but cloaking in general should not be 100% safe at any point, because no other aspect of ship PvP is.

3 Likes

So nerf local and we can nerf cloaks as well.

1 Like