Many of the best Eve stories over the years? Tell me, how many of those stories ended up in a polygon article? How about PC gamer? MassivelyOP? Gamerant? IGN? Yeah… I thought so. Not very many, if any. Now stories about the huge null sec battles, the heists, and the scams? Yeah, those stories made non-Eve news.
And while I dislike using anecdotal evidence, I’m going to add some here. The reason I’m back playing Eve Online is because of those news articles. A few years back, my wife and I were playing some boardgames with friends. The topic of MMOs came up and I mentioned I had played Eve Online. I got asked about all the crazy stories and what I knew about them. None of the stories asked were about small gang fights… sorry.
Now I’m not saying there are not great stories related to small gang warfare, but the stories that draw most people to Eve have almost nothing to do with small gang warfare. Again, this isn’t personal, its an objective statement.
You just said that it would probably play out the way I said it would be… which would actually not create any loot benefits for small gang groups because people would use simple and obvious ‘counterplay’ to deny the loot to you.
Again, its not being negative; its being objective. Why are you assigning an emotional response (negative) to objective statements? You might not like the fact that snow falls on your driveway and sidewalk; but, it doesn’t change the fact the snow is going to fall on your driveway and sidewalk. Quit appealing to emotion and stick to the facts at hand.
Now, let me explain why I’m being so “negative”? I need to ask you a simple question: how much do you know about computer programming? I’ll admit I don’t know a lot. I learned how to write very basic programs in BASIC when I was a kid. I took a class on C++ in school. And I’ve done a bit of coding on various MU* games. So to be clear, I have a very basic understanding of how code works and the effort to write computer code. I’m nowhere near a professional and I wouldn’t even call myself an amateur.
Why is that question important? Because for this concept of yours to appear in Eve Online, some developer is going to actually have to put forth the effort to write the code. Then the code will need to be tested. Then the code will need to be debugged. Rinse, repeat until it works correctly. That takes time. That means it takes money because you have to pay the developer.
CCP has a limited number of developers to work on stuff for Eve Online. And thus, they have to pick and choose what projects to take on. And CCP is a corporation and at the end of the day, they need to make money the best way possible. So, let me ask you a very simple question: why should CCP invest a lot of time and effort (because your idea will require adjustments to existing code which is harder to do than write new code) for a project that will only really benefit “a playstyle that is all but extinct except for a handful of us diehards”?
Look, I’d like to see more small gang warfare in Eve Online. Again, I like to see a wide variety of playstyles in Eve because I think it leads to a healthier game. But I don’t think CCP should throw money at a bad concept (you admitted it would probably play out as I said where people would just ‘counterplay’ the loot system). Come up with a better idea that will actually benefit small gang warfare and have a good return on the investment and I’ll happily give you a heart and sign your idea.
But this idea… is not a good idea.