Make autopilot usable or remove it entirely

5 Likes
2 Likes

I have found a solution! The autopilot should be the ONLY way of travelling that allows you to warp to zero! It finds balance all by itself. :grin:

2 Likes

It’s not useless. It moves my ship while I lay on the beach, looking great. Duh.

That was a great commercial, thank you. Wondering how they could sell it with that name, though. (“poop on”)

I think autopilot works fine as it is personally. It’s not meant as a means of normal transportation as if you were manually piloting your ship and it has a risk involved when you make the choice to use it; and that is that it’s slower, landing approx 10km away from the gate.

I have gotten ganked before while I was on autopilot too; but it was my choice to do that instead of safe’ing up or docking up while I had to go cook or something, and I accepted that (It’s the price of going AFK while in open space).

7 Likes

I’m not complaining about AP, it’s fine the way it is, it would be fine if it warped to zero. But this:

Is a problem argument, lore-wise. No player/Capsuleer ever manually pilots their ship. The ship has a full crew that makes the ship do things according to the Capsuleer’s instructions. The Capsuleer is the captain of the ship, not everything that gets done on the ship.

If “AP can’t jump to 0 on a gate” is purely a game-mechanic to prevent AFK play (which I think you might mean), then it is fine, working as intended.

But, if “…because the [fictional in-game ship’s] computer can’t calculate the jump” is the reason, then that reason is lacking. Because here being AFK is the equivalent of Captain Kirk being in his “ready room”, letting Sulu fly things, and then running on to the bridge when something interesting happens.

Maybe the “AP problem” isn’t about how far the jumps land, but the lack of “something interesting happening”?

2 Likes

Let’s be honest, wouldn’t that be what most of us would do if we were Kirk and could just delegate to Sulu?

2 Likes

Hell yeah!

CCP should let us attach one of them big billboard screens to our ships, and let us pipe video of what we’re doing while AFK, to it. If that’s what you do every time you’re AFK, I think you could autopilot through lowsec gatecamps and they’d happily let you slowboat each 15k.

4 Likes

This is a truly fantastic idea! :smiley:

+1

*Connects AFKCam to MultiCam, flies freighter filled with PLEX risk-free while AFK.

:smile:

Not sure I’d agree with all of that there, or at least not entirely. Chronicles like The Jovian Wet Grave and All These Live Are Fit To Ruin, as well as portions of novellas like Theodicy, seem to imply that the capsuleer is in charge of nearly every function involved in navigating the ship and firing its weapons. Powerful ship AI facilitate the task, of course. The point of the capsule was to improve ship performance while reducing the required crew complement (especially considering how the Jove population has been dwindling for some time). The Chronicle The Resurrection Men implies that the modules we see on the market are specifically designed to interface with capsule-fitted ships, to be mentally controlled by the capsuleer. Crews on capsuleer ships seem to be involved in maintenance, loading of ammunition, handling cargo, etc. The Frigates of New Eden book recently released backs this up in the case of frigates, as the crew complement of capsuleer versions of empire frigates has been reduced to 0, with the capsuleer and ship AI in charge of every part of the piloting process. Autopiloting would just be handing over navigation to the ship’s onboard AI, which would likely have certain safety measures built in.

2 Likes

ap is more useless with the new FOBs having fleets going out. ALSO WTF are the fob rats not red but blue like every other npc in empire.

1 Like

No, he pilots it with his mind and therefore he is uniquely able to make extremely precise warp field calculations that let him exit warp within the stargates effect radius. If however his mind is not focused on the task of warping and busy with something else, he can use the AP which probably would just mean that some of his skeleton crew or the computer are taking care of the calculations.

A computer or a brain alone will never be as fast and accurate as a capsuleer because he is the fusion of both, mind and machine. Therefore one could make an argument that the lack of precision when on AP is the reason the exit is on purpose chosen at a secure distance to the target position to prevent an accidental collision.

1 Like

Ah, I see your problem here. You recognize that something that offers you a benefit comes at a cost, and you accept that.

If you ever want to fit in here in General Discussion, you will have to abandon such ideas and then realize that everything is supposed to work out to your personal benefit with zero downside ever. If something does have a downside for you, then you should then post adamantly about how that thing is bad for ‘new players’ while pretending you don’t care about it at all…

At this point, I don’t even think I’m being sarcastic, General Discussion is actually like this…

7 Likes

Whiners whine, and they mostly do so in public, which makes them look like they’re many. Those who don’t have reason to complain rarely post. that’s a general thing everywhere, and i’m sure you’re aware of it. i’ve noticed, that the amount of reasonable and smart people has actually increased.

The nutjobs got louder, (noticed an increase in their activities as well?) but they’re being overrun with thoughtfulness. I observe significant differences to the old forum regarding reactions and flow of conversations.

Share my optimism, it’s not unfounded. :slight_smile:

It really should be enough that people have to be careful when traveling in low and null. the fact you have to do it in HS as well just makes the game excessively tediuos and annoying, and whats worse is the suicide gankers take zero risks because they are always flying disposable ships. It makes eve not worth playing for a lot of people.

1 Like

That’s fair but that’s not the kind of thinking this game was built around. You’ll find the vast majority of Highsec ganks are under tanked freighters with goods worth stealing or mining ships, the odd jump freighter now and then. There are fits and techniques that allow you to move a lot safer and avoid a suicide gank before it happens, that’s the counter to predatory gameplay.

You cannot remove the fish eat fish ecosystem of EVE, that is the bread and butter of this game. You can absolutely survive and succeed, it will never be completely 100% safe from being ruined by other players. I sincerely don’t think it should be.

3 Likes

This what makes the game alive though.

What if visiting Jita you won’t see scam adverts? You won’t see suiciders and suspect baiters? You won’t see amazing failed buy orders and people leaving the game and giving their stuff at bargain?
That would be dead market hub really.

If you don’t believe then try to login to Singularity and spend couple days there doing the stuff you do in Tranquility. Mission running or mining or even exploration? Fine! And nobody there to attack you or interfere somehow… I bet you will get bored pretty fast.

4 Likes