Make it stop FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!

Every damn time i log into the forums i have to also log into my email to get a verification code… every ■■■■■■■ time…PLEASE please please STAAAAHHHHHPPPPP!!!

4 Likes

Download Google Authenticator on your smartphone and set your account to use that instead.

This is really pissing me off. What is the point of making me do this? Is CCP actively trying to make people use Reddit instead?

1 Like

i use 2 Factor Authentication but i dont have this problem
i stay logged in in my browser

so why is this not working for you?

JuuR

Probably he is using private browsing, i have the same problem (and is a PITA).

1 Like

If you don’t want to be tracked, you can’t expect the site to remember you. This is a choice you make. If you accept cookies, the forums will remember you and your “problem” goes away.

What smartphone?

1 Like

The site doesn’t need to ‘remember me’. It just needs to accept my username and password when I type them in - like literally every other website I’ve ever used. Forcing me to type this code in is absolutely pointless.

3 Likes

Yep. I can get into my game account just fine but as soon as I try to log in to the forum I need to get that verification code…every…single…time. Its EXTREMELY annoying. And if anything happens to my email account well then I will be in deep doo doo. And if this safety precaution is ever relaxed and I somehow get hacked it would be my own fault for not protecting my own info so yes, this verification code rigamarole should stop please.

Besides, you will never guess why I don’t accept cookies and why I clear my data regularly…SECURITY!!! And I like to handle my own thanks.

The best happy medium I can come up with is if we want this extra layer of security it should be optional with a box I can uncheck.

If you go to account management and turn off authenticator, it should stop asking you.
https://secure.eveonline.com/AccountManMenu.aspx

If that doesn’t work, then yeah, you should allow this server to put a cookie on your PC. :smiley:

Yes… it does.

When you enable 2FA, you enable 2FA. You don’t just enable it sometimes. You’re logging into the same authentication service no matter what you’re using (forums, game, etc).

Your login process is enter credentials, get those validated, enter OTC, get that validated, then your signin is completed.

If you tell your browser to not remember your session, it won’t remember your session.

If you don’t want 2FA, then turn it off. You’d be stupid to do so (just get an OTC app like google auth or authy on your phone and it’s easy-peasy) but you can definitely turn 2FA off if you don’t want to use 2FA.

That is for the log in of the account page, not the forum (correct me if I am wrong).

I don’t have 2FA enabled…

If you’re being prompted for a OTP, you’ve got 2FA enabled.

Where is this 2FA setting then, because the only authenticator setting in my account is disabled:

nope

I’d contact customer service then, because OTPs are exclusively used in 2FA. Unless CCP has since forced 2FA (I wouldn’t have noticed such a change because 2FA is already on for me), it would strike me as an issue with your account.

I tried with another account and get the same thing. I’ll contact support anyway.

This is the response I’ve had from a GM:

"This is related to the SSO changes that were recently implemented. You’ll be able to find all the information about this in the following article:

SECURITY CHANGES TO THE EVE SSO!

I’m sorry to say that this safety measure cannot be ignored and as such you will have to input the code for all your accounts. I’m sorry for the inconvenience this might cause, if there is anything else I can do for you please let me know."

So does this mean I’m supposed to download a third party app on my phone so I don’t have to use a login code on desktop? Or will I still have to type in a code? I just want to log in with my username and password.

1 Like

Well, I had no idea they’d implemented that. Good on them for it. A lot of users need a not-so-gentle shove into more secure practices (truthfully, you should have 2FA on everything, including things like your email). You may not like it, but it’ll stop you from winning Eve if ever your account is ever compromised.

You have a number of options:

• Emailed OTP, as it is now
  • An app on your phone such as Google Authenticator to get the OTP
  • A unified OTP solution such as Authy; this can provide OTP via an app on your phone, but also from their website

Do try to steer clear of OTPs provided by SMS; some services offer it, it’s not secure and completely voids the purpose. It’s downright depressing that a lot of financial institutions rely on it.

Well I installed Authy and it’s still a pain in the arse, but I’m going to have to live with it I guess.