Making Battleships, Especially Navy Lines, More Viable

Bro the last thing a napoc needs is a 25% bonus to armor HP lol. It’s actually not in that bad of a place. Many people don’t use them in fleets anymore because A: They are incredibly cap hungry and B: Alpha is the meta atm.

However they’re amazing and killing smaller doctrines such as t3’s because of their tracking bonus and mega tanks. If you really wanted to improve the napoc the logical step to make it a bit more powerful (while still being somewhat balanced) is to reduce the tracking speed bonus it gets and add something like 5% reduction in energy weapons cap consumption per level.

Can i just jump in here and tell you all that the point of the fleet phoon and scythe is rapid launchers. See the damage bonus to missiles rather than rof.

Oh wait, cade got there.

1 Like

I wouldn’t exactly call that the “point” of the ships, it’s more just something that kinda sorta works for them. They’d still be better off with non-split bonuses, even if the other bonus they got was almost inconsequential.

Would be happy with +50% cargo bay to all T1 and navy BS tbh. Maybe a touch more cpu and or PG on some ships but not much. Bonuses seem fine as is.

Some kind of role bonus? I wouldn’t say no exactly but what? Something that isn’t OP, but also isn’t jank. MJFG immunity would be nice. ;p

The entire sub capital line of ships, modules etc all need a good pass over. I have been doing some math and it takes a little more than twice the m3 to move the components to build an orca vs a fort. Why is the volume of capital components 10k while structures are 3k?

The volume of a lot of charges and items just seems out of wack. Fix the volume and make a pass on cargo bays would bring some things inline.

Navy raven needs more fitting. Fitting 8 torp launchers leaves little fitting room for tank. Navy raven is arguably the best torp platform in the game but has trouble combining tank with that application. Alternatively, give it more base shield HP, so the small amount of tank that can be added gives a bigger bump.

A hull tanked navy raven has more tank than shield, for example. Course this is more solo than fleet perspective.

1 Like

This thread seems to be exclusively based on PVE content, so with that in mind:

Wait… there are T3BBs? Can they be nullified like T3Cs?

Show me the ticks of a hull tanked ratting ship vs an active shield tanked ship. Not only will the shield tanked ship get better dps, but it won’t have to stop and repair every 2 minutes. If you’re ratting, you’ll always be active tanked. The RNI can fit an active tank quite easily.

The next thing to think about is time on target… BBs are slow. Torps haven’t got the most impressive range. So while your paper dps is high, your actual dps will be low because you’ll have to spend time getting into range.

Who said anything about ratting? I actually said “not fleet but solo”. As in solo pvp.

Also, here, so you can see how fun torp ships are outside of the echo chambers of what reddit and what people on the forums say about torps.

1 Like

Tier 3 is a throwback to a way old progression scheme that CCP used. Given you’re an older toon than me, I expect you’ll know all this. So this post is for the benefit of the newbies reading now.

Today we have Tech-1 ships of a size-class being of approximately-equal-utility-but-filling-different-roles. Back in the day, this wasn’t the case. You’d have a basic frigate, a slightly better frigate, and a high-end frigate. Same for cruisers and battleships. The naming convention for this was Tier 1, Tier 2, etc.

It’s much like the meta-level system for named modules… which CCP is slowly doing away with.

Tier 3 Battleships were the racial ones CCP added after launch. As listed in the OP, the Tier 3 battlships are the Rokh, Abaddon, Hyperion, and Maelstrom.

I took a nice long break shortly after starting up. Had fun mining in a battlecruiser… my first ever, a week or two into the game. Figured “oh, there’s WAY better stuff to mine out in lowsec!”. I’ve got a nice shiny BC now, time to step up a bit.

30 seconds into the mining cycle, I was tackled, 30 seconds later, my ship was gone and I was left floating in space wondering wtf just happened.

That wouldn’t have been a problem, but nobody had yet explained the golden rule of Eve to me yet. Don’t fly what you can’t lose. ■■■■, I couldn’t even insure the damn thing.

Learning that lesson the hard way, at an age when I was far less interested in coping properly, resulted in me Alt+F4ing and simply not logging back in for a few years.

This option was my attempt of making Navy Apoc a new armor-laser doctrine powerhouse. Minimizing its cap issues by reduce # of turrets(from 8 → 6) meanwhile putting more emphasize on one of the shinny point of navy battleships: they are extremely beefy.

So basically it is the new bs-level navy augoror: high damage, quite beefy, but no damage apply bonus, but large laser turrets are already very good with base status in range, I feel like there is no problem of making it a new doctrine ship in line with nightmare.

The 5% number is my very cautious move because there are currently no battleship has similar bonus and I don’t know if it might be overpowered on a 7 low battleship, as I have said, all number are bound to change.

Auto-cannon F. Scythe is also good : )

I just want to make auto-cannon F. Typhoon in line with other auto-cannon bs.

Holy ■■■, Stitch K : D Youtube fan here
Your solo N. Raven video was one of my inspirations.

The problem may not come from N. Raven but rather from Torpedo launchers themselves.
I have tried to fit a torpedo dual rep Typhoon but the fitting room was always so limited with 6 launchers.

Yeah, you are right, but instead of changing N. Raven, maybe reducing both pg and cpu requirement for a torped launcher is needed.

Just like ham to hm, there is no reason that torpedo lanuchers need both more cpu and pg than cruise lanuchers.

=D Looks like we got a student didn’t read the class notes.

Nope, TLDR’d through most of it. I read the subject and I stayed at a holiday inn once though so that qualifies me to weigh in right?!

Torp fittings could use tweaking too i agree. Keep in mind that torps do a large amount of alpha when they apply. So like artillery, its not too unusual that they require high fitting.

Also, give the rokh 8 unbonused missile launchers, because… reasons.

It could fullfill multiple roles at once. A long range sniper platform with hybrids. Or a hybrid of the navy scorp and navy raven (shield bonus+8 launchers). Doesnt change any of its current uses, but opens it up for new uses.

Our corp (a few years ago) generally agreed that the “dumbing down” of ship fittings via the changes in hard points of turrets/launchers and utility highs was not a great idea. Tiericide in general was well done apart from this. It translates to the fact that there are vastly less options for viable out of the box ship fits. Everything got pigeon holed into a general fitting. Sure you can shave a few corners and bend the odd angle, but the triangle is still a triangle.

Oct 2nd

Revive this old thread since CCP mentioned they were looking at t1&navy battleships in a dev blog.

all battleships need buffs.

If I had a say in this, I would suggest buffing the helms(wo)men first.

But since you are Ferengi, I suggest increasing the LP price of navy faction ships to 3 million LP and adjust the blueprints to match zee economy fantasy price tags.

As an example of the new much goodererererer navy battleships, I take my favorite one, the Caldari Raven Navy Issue:

• 3 billion tritanium
  • 2 billion pyerite
  • 1.25 billion mexallon
  • 5 billion isogen
  • 975 million nocxium
  • 750 million zydrine
  • and 525 million megacyte

This will insure many currency for zee miners and bot armies of yolo-land or commonly known as dullsec. Equality for all zee alts or something.