Marauders

Might be a good investment then. I’m still going to give Ferox a try, since I don’t have the ISK to safely fly a pirate cruiser.

And apparently, only the hull price is around 250 millions ISK, so not only I cannot buy the ship, but if I loose it, I’ll be bankrupted.

A wise approach.
I can’t understand why people always recommend a Gila to a new player. It’s too damned expensive.
The Ferox will do you fine - and you can afford to loose it. OK: You’ll be annoyed if you do, but it won’t be the end of the world.

Hang the Gila; a well fitted Heavy Assault Cruiser breezes through Level 3 missions and rarely struggles in a Level 4 mission. But I’d not recommend a MWD, dual rep, HAM2 fitted Sacrilege to a new player.

no you can’t.

Mea culpa.
Lose rather than loose.

1 Like

Guns are not really good for PvE. Missions have rats all over the place, ranges vary from 1 km to 100 km, also there is issue of a fixed damage type for guns. For that reason the best was always missiles + drones for application of damage, so Guristas line of ships.

It does even lv 4 if you know what you are doing.

I took a look at Heavy Assault Cruisers. The Cerberus and Deimos looks quite meh, but the Eagle looks dope and Sacrilege looks quite interesting and extremely special. It’s not everyday we see an Armor tanked ship using missiles ^^

Missiles have the advantage, like projectile turrets, to chose the damage they deal, but since I’m not a nomadic player (for now), I will either go against Guristas or Serpentis pirates, so the locked damage of hybrids isn’t a penalty. And even if some rats play with range, it’s only a five seconds reload. Not as great as frequency crystals, but not as bad as artilleries or autocannons. And if a frigate gets under 10 kilometers, I have a drone bay :slight_smile:

Must also require an expensive fit, and since Gila use medium drones and missiles, it must take a long time compared to a battleship for L4.

Anyway, HAC are locked for the filthy Alpha I am, I’ll put it as a long term goal.

compared to a BS a gila will tank sig, until it gets webbed.

Also the SP required makes it able to deal same DPS as a sniping BS, but at medium range (RHML+T2 medium drones)

Gila can do all lvl 4 missions, since it have passive buffer tank for days and 600 DPS in T2 fit. And it is very good preparation for best PVE ship available for alpha’s - Rattlesnake.

Ferox will do for lvl 3. MAybe even for some lvl 4, but it will be slow and painful.

I’m a golem pilot and if you need a summary about marauders; they are not a neccesity, instead they increase quality of life if you’re into level 4 missions. No more no less. If you’re a solo player you wont find mush use for them except lvl4 missions. They are too expensive to risk them outside of hisec

Hehehe, I actually used it to run DED sites in low sec. But you have to see what is coming for you. :joy:

Yeah, must be quite hard when the Bastion module just started its cycle and you see a random popping in Local with Combat Probes our ^^

If you have good drone skills the rattlesnake is most excellent, hits like 1.5 or 1 and a half of a Raven and has excellent tank, very good choice, with T-2 sentry drones you’ll turn BS thru cruisers into junk fast.

Drones and missiles with shield skills opens up arguably the best set of faction ships (guristas) for missions, and put a new player well on the way to ships like the Ishtar, although for many players, most ships are a downgrade from a rattlesnake for doing missions. After losing a golem that couldn’t apply enough dps in a ded site, I went back and full cleared with a snake. It can be a bit slow to travel but in return can fit a brick tank and apply massive damage in all 4 flavours. And if ecm come, switch to auto targeting missiles.

rofl. You kidding me ?
golem has more buffer, more rep, more apply than a rattle - while in bastion
double rf painter will make you one shoot ANY frig with faction cruise missiles. Not even a need to swith to precision.

Marauders are on my list of ships to play with, but I highly suggest going for heavy assult cruisers for missions and much more.

Indeed, they look really nice.
Sadly, after checking a bit what my missioning career could offer, I think getting full clear on L4 could be incredibly interesting.

It might be hard to do that with railguns, as (personal opinion) upgrading over the regular T1 ships like Rokh can be a bit harder compared to Missiles.

I’ll explain myself : if someone want to use railguns for its career, he can go up the normal “path” and once he reach L4 with Rokh, I see two options :

• Marauder Kronos, which if the capsuleer only trained up the Caldari tech tree, it could be harder.
  • Vindicator, but I don’t think it would make a good mission ship for full clear. The Stasis Webifier bonuses make it more suited for blasters, and not rails.

So eh, as a Caldari pilot I’m getting a bit interested in Missiles. I could either go with the Raven Navy Issue, for good application on small ships, a Rattlesnake (but I’ll have to get both Missiles and drone skills) or go full broke with a Golem. Also, I heard the Barghest could be interesting for full clears, and the improved range on warp scramblers could also help for the application of damage on ships such as frigates by shutting down their MWD.

I think NPCs only use their MWD on approach. Once they start orbiting you they turn their MWD off.

For full clear a marauder is good because it has tractor beam bonuses and it doesn’t rely on sentry/heavy drones for a lot of it’s dps so it can do loot and salvage drones while it’s shooting. Basically extra isk/h. That said blitzing still beats it by about 100% in terms of isk/h.

If you just want to kill everything and not loot/salvage then something like the rattlesnake with T2 sentries + Fury Cruise or, depending on the mission, Polarised Marauder could work as well.

So, a couple of things here since you are working on making some decisions on goals and training.

First off, you’re at a bit of a decision point since honestly, turrets and Cardari ships are an unusual combo other than the ships that you’ve identified and/or are flying. Caldari are generally shield tank and missiles, while Gallente are drone, turret, armor tank. So… you’ve got a couple of choices.

1. Stick with Caldari and start trying missiles to open up more options, or…
  2. Start training Gallente ships (and armor skills), or…
  3. Both

One thing to note here is that training for Gallente ships will not be wasted time for you since Gurista ships need those skills as well. The only thing that might be “extra” is the armor training, but that’s not exactly a waste either.

I fly a bunch of different ships and have used a lot of options for L4s. Currently I’m using a Rattlesnake for full-clears, but this is also absolutely possible with Gallente BS like the Hyperion or Megathron. I don’t know if I’d suggest the Dominix for you yet since that takes a lot of drone training and shines the brightest when sniping with Sentry drones (and now that you’re Omega you have access to!). But the Hyperion is a really solid ship and will work well for you when you train up the armor. Then, you can run L4s, get some cash, and parlay those Gallente BS skills into some preparation for a Rattlesnake if you decide to get one later on :slight_smile:

Just some food for thought.

2 Likes

Megathron is a really nice looking ship ^^
Currently, I have two long terms projects in my mind : a Barghest, because the massive bonus to missile speed seems to negate the delayed damage that I doesn’t like with missiles. The second would be Machariel, because a fast battleship could be extremely interesting, and I’ll share the skills in Gunnery I already have. We’ll see.

1 Like