Marauders

I briefly used a Paladin for high sec missions and it was just fine. Although with an MTU the ability to salvage while running the site is pretty meh. But I am not a farmer, so the small amount of time spent using a dedicated salvage ship wasn’t something I cared about.
Mostly it was a massively overpriced way to do the same missions I had no problem doing in far less expensive ships. Faction battleships worked just as well, and frankly if you are doing high sec - then a T1 BS will happily complete the same missions without a problem.
Marauders are a pretty good example of how Eve isn’t pay to win. The performance increase for a Marauder isn’t even close to the jump in cost. They are slightly better (although some will debate even that) battleships for the low low price of a capital ship.
However- I really liked my Paladin. It’s the sub-cap version of a Dread, and I’m not a capital pilot. I found it far more interactive than the usual attempt to make PvE as AFK as possible.
So if you have the time, isk, and inclination- go for it. They aren’t pwnmobiles but most PvE in Eve is trivially easy to begin with. A marauder is an interesting class of ships with a unique (for sub caps) mechanic.

1 Like

I been using a rattlesnake lately with just a passive tank. Standard misses and good drone skills. Usally keep range, but not always. I have had no problems with any mission. Dps is around 980 depending on drones. If I work on missle skills could easily go over 1000 dps. Nice ship.

As an Amarrian pilot that can fly a Paladin I must confess I’ve never owned one. A 2bn ISK ship, whichI can easily afford, doesn’t make me feel comfortable.
However, I have flown both Sacrileges and Zealots (the Amarrian Heavy Assault Cruisers) in Level 4 missions and they are a hoot and very capable - the Zealot takes more care since it’s lighter armoured and fights at range whereas the Sac can just hammer in with both reps running.
So, for a Caldari Hybrid turret pilot, the Eagle could be a good option, leveraging the T2 medium turrets and fighting at range and speed - something you’ll have learnt from flying the Cormorant.
It’ll need the Assault Damage Control to give time to break for range, you’ll want a fit that can run with the MWD on almost all the time - speed tanking incoming fire (that bonus to signature bloom is very useful!). Shield boosting isn’t as capacitor efficient as armour repair, but it’ll help hold the shields together.
And it gets from station to mission a lot more quickly than a battleship.
It could be a lot of fun.

Great choice.

Those two are best blitzing ship for lv4 in the game. Absolutely the end game in missioning path. Just need to trained some frigate skill for burners to complete the best isk/hour.

Since I already have some skills up in Gunnery compared to a complete 0 in Missiles, Machariel it is ^^
This ship is very nice looking, and those speed bonuses are great. Just need to get some training in Minmatar battleships and projectile turrets.

Also, concerning burner missions, what frigate is generally a good pick if we stay outside of missile users ? I thought an Harpy could do it.

for burners, you’ll need fr V for the DD (matar/gallente ?) then for he garmur to make team .

then AF are very helpful :

gallente allows you to use the enyo for agent guristas (void blasters)
cal gives access to the hawk to kill the DD (rage rockets)
minmatar give access to the wolf for blood agent (AC)

I keep two DD fit to kill the agent sansha and the agent dramiel (both need 2 webs, former need AB later needs cap).

Basically you’ll want cal, gal, matar frig V , as well as rocket spe V, small AC V, small blasters V ; plus of course all the fitting/cap/rep/apply/paint/web/speed/rig skills V (genolution may help with some).

The first step is the garmur for team burners, most easy and most forgiving, as well as least skill intensive.

edit : fr not cr

For those real long range fights with Guristas keeps some of the DPS down from anything without cruise missiles.

What is the CR, please ?

Also, those burner missions seems to be extremely hard, to the point where one need the specialization skill to V in multiple weapon systems ^^

So, this Garmur could be an interesting pick for burners. Thanks !
I think I’m closer to the Harpy Assault Frigate, so I’ll try to get my Small Hybrid Turret skill to V to get the weapons for the Harpy, and maybe the Enyo. Don’t really know if bringing the frigate skill for three empires to V could ge a good idea time wise…

I think it’s a typo, short for Cruiser V, when I think they meant Gallente Frigate and Minmitar Frigate V which is required for the DareDevil (well not V to fly the ship but for burners it looks like V is what you want), which then leads into the Assault Frigates because you’ve got the frig V for those races, opening up the enyo & wolf.

At least that’s what I think was meant :slight_smile:

Regards,
Cypr3ss.

1 Like

Thanks !
Those missions really looks hard. Anyway, it appear I have reached the limit of skills I can put in the queue at the same time when I tried to get the skills for a Machariel with good support skills ^^"

Also, could someone give me a fit for Machariel for either full clear, and blitz please ? I tried looking at the Machariel fittings page of the EVE University, the fits here seems to be extremely expensive, but I think that was is required to run L4 efficiently. Also, the fits on this page seems to be outdated, as lot of them stay a low slot that isn’t here on the fitting screen, and doesn’t use a mid slot.

The forum search works quite well these days :slight_smile:

I’d start here:

Regards,
Cypr3ss.

Thanks you Cypr3ss, you’re helping me a lot :slight_smile:

this.

The important part is, the burners have very high stats. if you have “not enough” tank to survive or “not enough” DPS to break it, you die.
for the serpentis line, the matar ship skill increases the strength of webs by 10% per skill. That means, if you go from IV to V you go from 80% to 90% web on a T2, which basically means you DOUBLE your tracking score vs burners . So going with matar V allows you to have cheaper ship and still more applied DPS.
So you are not required to be matar fr V to get in the DD, but before that is is almost 100% granted you will lose your ship.
For comparison sake, with matar cr IV I needed to OL two hardeners and the guns and have drones to kill base angels dramiels. with matar cr V I just need to activate all, and they die and I don’t.

same for cal fr V : it helps with DPS a lot for garmur, to the point where you go from “I can’t break the RR with L” to “I can break the burner with its two RR”.

SO for some burners fr V is not mandatory strictly speaking, but it is mandatory to ensure the win, and as such if you intend to farm burners your first skills should be [required fr] V.
The first one is cal fr V (helps for team burners and opens the hawk), the second is matar fr V(required for DD fits and opens the wolf), the last is gallente (helps with DD and opens the enyo)
of course you should not do the garmur before having both cal fr V and rocket spe IV, plus the skills for cap stable 5mn with 27km range(required for jaguar team burner).

1 Like

Maxing 4 empire frigate skill are faster than maxing blitz mach skill.

As bonus, you could fool around in lowsec FW with cheap t1 frigate when you bored. Also, if you chose null path, they always need a fast tackler. Not to mention give you access to astero and stealth bombers if you want to be a hunter in WH.

Timewise, leveling frigate skills is the most efficient. After Core skills, that is.

I used to do lvl5s in a golem and made use both of bastion and their greatly reduced mjd cool down to reposition.
Now as far as I dug around I could find no one else doing this so it was a self taught aproach to running lvl5s without carrier.
For me it worked and the ship bonuses helped

They are one of the absolute best bait ships in low, if you have Titan backup.

Fly into low in a Marauder and crash a gatecamp. If they don’t escalate to capitals you kill them all (blinged marauders can decisively win 15-v-1 fights). If they do escalate to caps, have your titan bridge in more capitals.

If the enemy immediately out-escalates (eg they drop 60 dreads) you only lose a marauder, no supers.

I don’t really know how much a blinged Marauder cost, but I don’t think it would be someone I’d throw in a gatecamp just because I have a cyno and a friend in a Titan nearby…

1 Like

3300-3800m is a typical A/X-type fit marauder with T2 rigs last time I checked.

If you are baiting capitals, this is a perfectly reasonable expense. You are not at risk attacking a subcapital gatecamp unless they have (or can escalate to) 25+ pilots, or multiple Bhaalgorns, or multiple capitals.

If they escalate to multiple capitals, great - you have exactly what you wanted.

I would argue that’s not the case at all, as those 'or’s just keep coming, at which point you might as well say “You are at risk attacking a subcapital gatecamp” and be done with it. Adding all the caveats puts you deep into ‘advanced Eve Tactics’.

As to the first quote, here’s a few examples where there were 10 or fewer people, no multiple Bhaalgorns and no multiple capitals, but the marauder did not achieve a decisive win:

So as with everything in Eve, it depends. Ideally you’d know what/who you’re engaging and what type of escalation is possible, but even then things may not work out like you’d hope.

Regards,
Cypr3ss.

Paladin and Kronos need slight buffs to be in line with Varguar/Golem.

Maybe more drone bandwidth and space or More capacity/cpu/pg.

-shrugs-

1 Like