Market Launch - RB9X

Hopefully not a dull bit.

TCMC equipped slaves don’t want to escape, though. That’s the whole point of using them in the first place!

1 Like

More relevant to your claims, though, just because you can remove an unsecured TCMC, that doesn’t mean any of the medtechs installing them leave them unsecured. And while you’re a capsuleer, and can train up a skill CONCORD calls ‘Cybernetics’, that skill actually covers the electronic/biological interface, not electronic security. And while the ‘Hacking’ skill claims to cover that, it’s in regard to ship-borne analyzer modules.

So, maybe you can crack a TCMC’s security, but to do it, you’ll need to be in your pod, connected via your own interface to an external security system that as far as I know doesn’t currently exist. ie: in-facility analysis and decryption systems with a capsuleer interface for use on implanted cybernetics—usually the work on such implants is done before they’re implanted, or by dedicated systems with severe access controls that most certainly do not include ‘any ridiculously rich mass-murdering egger who manages to waltz in here’.

Now, sure, you can probably get something like that made, but then you have to deal with the consequences of people knowing you have such a thing—which they will, unless you make the entire thing yourself, because unless you kill all the techs involved (in which case, HOPE IT NEVER BREAKS!), someone is going to brag to someone about the cool thing they did this one time, in some bar somewhere. And if people know you’ve got a thing like that—or, you know, start worrying that the Sansha have a thing like that, then they start building subroutines into the TCMC that induce lethal biofeedback to each and every external connection point made.

After all, that kind of signal wouldn’t have any effect whatsoever on a system that doesn’t include a direct TCMP connection to a living organism.

Bottom line: You do a hundred different things as a capsuleer. Many of them are things normal humans can’t even do. Don’t make the mistake of assuming that just because CONCORD slaps a catchy label like ‘Cybernetics’ on a ‘skill’ that could just as easily be labelled ‘Man/Machine Interface Tolerance’ that you’re better than the guys who are probably more heavily augmented than you are toward this one task, at their job.

4 Likes

Cracking a Transcranial Microcontroller isn’t any harder than a Transintestinal Programmable Logical Controller once you have hard physical access to it.

A Microcontroller is still a Microcontroller - even one transplanted into a cranium. If the CPU was as complex as you think - it’s classification would be upgraded to Microprocessor.

It’s the the sophisticated I/O and peripherals nessesary for interfacing with a nervous system that make it more ‘special’ (expensive) than the Microcontroller that controls the windows of my hover car.

Take one not in somebody’s skull to any tech repair shop and have it reprogrammed in an hour by a guy who took a two week virtual course from a Science and Trade Institute community college subsidiary.

The only tricky part is the brain surgery - but honestly who in this thread doesn’t do a little DiY neuropsy from time to time?

A blank one, sure. It’s not about the sophistication of the individual chip, though. It’s about what’s between you and it. And if you think there aren’t security systems in place to prevent exactly what you’re talking about, you’re insane. Every single device in existence that can be remotely connected to can and has been hacked. Defensive measures are constantly being improved to combat the constant improvements in offensive measures. Frankly, it’s kind of shocking that there hasn’t been a widespread malicious infection of capsuleers… but then, maybe there has, and it’s just waiting to go active, a ticking bomb in some percentage of us.

This is a never-ending arms race, a war between intrusion and security being waged by interests even more wealthy than we are, wielding minds at least as augmented as ours, and all of their augmentation is aimed at their job, instead of our generalist capabilities.

Your comparison point is effectively saying ‘look, anyone can put out a match, so defusing an anti-matter bomb while it detonates is just as easy!’

3 Likes

I wasn’t supposed to say anything but I can confirm there was a massive breech of Capsuleer implant security years ago. Nation won the war and you just think you’re still living out your free lives. Your minds are ours and we can make you think reality is however we wish.

Arrendis. You right now are part of a worker amalgamation designated #66023G on a fungal farm on an Ocean planet in Stain. Enjoy.

2 Likes

Perpetually riding that bleeding edge where a tiny misstep either leaves vulnerabilities, or triggers false positives that blow my implants and brain into tiny bits and pieces if intrusion is attempted, checking in.

There’s more security hardware than aug hardware in my head, and it’ll never cease being improved. I’d rather have a softclone take my place with a bit of memory loss than risk even the most infinitesimal intrusion and corruption.

That there are people who use remote access with their implants will never cease to amaze me. All such features are both air and fleshgapped for me. Worst case scenario, someone might get brief control of my arm prosthetic before it seizes and self-destructs.

1 Like

I’m not talking about remote access. I’m talking about direct physical access to the chip. I.E. you have rescued a slave and spirited them away to a location capable of moderately advanced craniotomy.

Hell, way back in YC 106, during the hieght of the Gallente body modding crazy, every other household in the Caillie suburbs had a drone that could jury rigged by hobbyist to do a type three craniotomy. Nothing impressed a townie girl like a like a backlit transparent carbon polymer skull. Good times.

But I digress.

Crack open the melon of your newly emancipated friend and connect your leads directly to the pins of the chip. Boom. Instant poor man’s cyberknight.

If some Nefarious person wants to undo your efforts its not likely to be remotely. As you pointed out that is not an easy task.

They have to capture your friend alive and unzip his or her noggin one more time and directly fiddle with the chip.

And watch the anti-tampering security measures fry his brain.

Seriously. There are people whose only job is to prevent the kind of tampering your talking about from being possible. And they know a lot more about this stuff than you do. You ‘learned’ a skill by absorbing a pre-set data block from CONCORD’s databases. They’re the guys who define the skill you’ll learn.

1 Like

I built my first Microcontroller before I hit puberty. As for SoCT packages, you should probably stop getting yours from a seedy looking Thukker in a back alley.

And since then you’ve focused on nothing else, right?

And I have no idea why you’re bringing the Society into this.

1 Like

I believe he mentions the Society because I think it’s actually Genolution and X-Sense that set the standards that CONCORD uses for those things. And since the Jove “passed”, those organizations are under the control of the Society. I could be wrong. But fairly sure that’s it.

1 Like

SoCT invented skillbooks.

Now I have a mental picture of Vlad there saying "stop hitting yourself " as your arm slugs you in the stomach.

5 Likes

Funny imagery sure enough, but it seizes and self-destructs a bit too fast for that.

1 Like

They set the technical standards, but CONCORD ultimately determines what’s in the skills, just as they ultimately have jurisdiction over most of our specs.

Edit: And before anyone tries claiming CONCORD doesn’t have control over that, in order to be sold, Skillbooks have to comply with SCC regulations and restrictions. SCC is CONCORD. If SCC says ‘in order to be marketed as a skillbook in the Neural Enhancement category, a product must encourage the user to eat only peanut butter’, then they gotta do it.

1 Like

The last time I had a conversation with someone as weird as you they would not shut up about memetic contignation vectors.

First, you started by claiming “Any caplsuleer[sic] with a single skill rank in cybernetics should be more than capable of safely removing a Transcranial Microcontroller.” Then you went all the way to “have it reprogrammed in an hour by a guy who took a two week virtual course from a Science and Trade Institute community college subsidiary”. Then when it was again pointed out that there’s an entire industry of people who specialize in making those statements untrue, bankrolled by megacorporate interests in all of the Empires and more heavily augmented in this field than any of us, you fall back to “I built my first Microcontroller before I hit puberty”, as if your claims of doing this weren’t built from the beginning on the idea that the CONCORD-approved skillbooks give everyone the ability to do this.

The last time I had a conversation with someone as evasive and unwilling to actually address the points being presented, they knew they were full of crap but just didn’t want to admit it.

Betting that’s the case here, too.

3 Likes

Come now, you should be quite familiar with goalposts with MJDs by now.

Insert some sort of animated depiction of a drive-by mic drop with airhorns and ISK signs etc. My crew chief insists this is a thing.

1 Like

In the interests of not getting into another lengthy argument where you do the very thing you claim others do, I’m gonna make this my only response to that statement. We’ve covered that ground more than enough times already, you and I.

1 Like