Market Orders - Expiration

Why do market orders time out after 90 days (3 months)?

Is there any rationale for limiting to only 3 months? Why not allow orders to last for 12 months? This will help traders boost Lowsec trade hubs with long-term investments from trade-oriented organizations.

Given the 12 month sell order, it would be VERY lucrative for traders to setup orders in all the remote tradehubs and allow for 12 months for those items to make an effective ROI. Similiarly, it’ll spark additional competition when the locals notice that new items are on sale and they want those items for cheaper and thus odds are, they’ll load up a hauler and undercut the rates.

A win-win for everyone. And remote tradehubs get more mods for their PVE/PVP base.

Thus far, I have been unable to find similar discussion on this issue. If there exists related discussion elsewhere, please feel free to point me in the right direction.

Am I missing something obvious here?

A very well-reasoned response. I managed to learn a lot from your perspective.

However, I now realize I probably should have word-smithed the idea a bit more. I was attempting to refer to the more remote outposts (PVE or PVP hubs) versus well-stocked tradehubs (Jita, Rens, Amarr, etc). Thus, having a 12 month cycle time on sell-orders for these type of hubs will do well to fill-in the demand for popular PVE and PVP items. Also, it’ll allow the “log-in warriors” to more quickly have access to the critical ammo and mods they need for their 1-3 hours blitz of eve extraveganza.

This type of buff will boost viability of mid to smaller corps and coalitions without being forced to rely on a well-funded and organized indy and logistics wing for ALL of their demand of goods.

I do see how this type of change COULD negatively impact the larger trade hubs. However, I have seen very little evidence that prices would drop so drastically to the point where there’s zero profits for traders/industrialists. Even if they do drop too much due to competition, then put in place a higher broker’s fee or tax for market orders longer than 3 months to follow a model of diminishing returns so that the daily trader will continue to enjoy an advantage over the long-term investment trader.

I do believe that both options can live in harmony and will benefit all parties if it can be carefully thought out with an appropriate penalty fee/tax that’s assessed for market orders past 3 months.

You could collect a game benefit for a year, based on a one month payment to CCP. That doesn’t seem fair to CCP.

I say that as a player who just saw ~30 transactions expire because he lost track, and didn’t log in a character yesterday that he should have :frowning:

Markets change.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.