Market Strategies

What are the common strategies for pricing manufactured goods for sale?

Do you chase the top of the list? When someone undercuts your price, do you lower your price and undercut back? Or do you stay with your initial price and wait for the market to come back to your price point?

images

1 Like

Nobody with any sense is going to give away any information of value and let you take their opportunities.

2 Likes

Whatever price is profitable for you to continue engaging in the activity.

:red_circle: Don’t engage at all. Literally. Put a portion of your items on the market for a price that seems right to you (covers cost, gives the desired profit margins, puts them in a spot where they might sell) and forget about them. Occasionally look at the orders and maybe reduce the price or put up another batch of your items at a lower price if tons of people undercut you.

With the current fees it is not worth doing more in most cases. I have 10 orders in the market for some items that I build and they are still not selling as I, apparently, did not place my orders intelligently.

4 Likes

Industry is saturated. Avoid altogether. If you’re producing raw materials, selling those raw materials will be almost as profitable as selling finished products, but will require much less time management. There are some exceptions for certain items.

1 Like

No true trader will give you his tips and tricks. Why would he want another competitor in the pond

1 Like

You don’t, then, think selling quickly is important?

Because it would improve his life and his game. I realize you won’t understand that. Now have a seat.

Best market strategy:
Kill rock, ship, site container firewall
Take contents
Sell on black market

Playing the market in EVE is like trying to ice skate uphill. It’s not like other MMOs because the market is one of the selling points of the game.

it depends.

2 Likes

Look at price.

Undercut price.

???

Profit

1 Like

It depends… if you need cash, undercut, if you don’t, wait… if you are not trying to sell an useless product at a stupid price in a system visited twice a year, it will sell before your order’s expiration date.

If you good enough, other competition won’t be an issue right?

OP, if you want some hints feel free to mail me

4 Likes

Better than the Umbrella Corp’s

1. Make an eternal youth serum.

2. Turn it into a deadly weapon.

3. Change all the locks to complicated minigames requiring you to go to each department in the facility in a specific order just to get to the coffee machine.

4. ???

5. ???

1 Like

You need a multipass to bypass the route to the coffee machine.

4 Likes

Pricing manufactured goods for sale?

Firstly, I assume you have done your homework and made sure that the items you are making can actually be sold at a profit? that the cost of making them (buy materials, install, taxes and all) is less than the Sell Order price. If it isn’t then “why the {expletive} did you make the {expletive} things?”

I shall assume you are selling using a Sell Order rather than direct to Buy Orders (making a profit selling to Buy is possible, but rare in my experience).

A lot of this is obvious stuff, but probably needs repeating so we obvious to work from.

The sell price for most items varies over time, up and down. Your items sell when the rising Sell Price passes your offer price (you are offering items to sell at a price in a Sell Order). If you pitch your offer price just below the lowest sell price, then you items will sell if the sell price rises slightly. If you pitch above the current sell price, then you will need to wait until the sell price has risen a fair bit more.
How long it takes for the sell price to cycle (go from dropping to rising) is down to familiarity with the cycles of those items (experience and reading the history tab). How long you are willing to wait is your decision based on the position in the cycle.
(if someone undercuts your order then the sell price has fallen - hence you can only sell on an unchanged or rising price).

Remember: while an item is waiting on the market to sell it is tying up capital you could use for something else. As a manufacturer turnover is important: Turning over 1bn ISK four times at 15% is better than once at 40% in the same time.

The market re-listing charges (1% of the remaining order total) are the cost of changing you bet.

Strategy: As a manufacturer you want to catch a rising sell price and pitch just below where you may think it will peak inline with your ability to lock up capital with the aim of a particular order completing without needing more than you can accept to update it.

The reason for the bold Yous and Yours is that where this pitches is dependent on your abilities and objectives, but that is the generic strategy.

I am not going to suggest good items to make (so don’t ask) - it has taken me a while to learn the market for manufactured goods: that is valuable information to me.

3 Likes

Profit from repeated attempts at the box office and merchendising and franchising