Mass Test on Singularity: Monday, March 06th, 2023

Hey!

We are planning a mass test on Singularity, on Monday, March 6th, at 17:00 UTC (= EVE time) to test improvements to the audio for turrets.

What exactly is being tested?

• Client performance, stability and experience of the turret audio improvements in fleet fight situations.

Please note that at the time of writing this, those changes are not yet on Singularity.

How to connect to Singularity for this test:

• Change the server from Tranquility to Singularity in the bottom right corner of the launcher and log in as normal.
  • More detailed instructions are available here.
  • Ships with turrets are preferred in this mass test. Please try to bring a wide spread of setups, so that we see all kind of regular turrets (Hybrid, Energy, Projectile, as well as S, M, L, XL) - but you don’t need to mix weapons on the same ship.

Test instructions:

1. Meet in FD-MLJ, at the gate to X-BV98
  2. Jump to X-BV98
  3. Warp to Tatara
  4. Target and shoot the Tatara and 1-2 CCP ships, following specific instructions (no other PvP)
  5. Warp to Poitot gate
  6. Jump to Poitot
  7. On command: Fleet W vs. fleet X PvP, but only with turrets - try to avoid explosions
  8. PvP without restrictions

What else should I know?

• 2M Skill points will be awarded on Singularity for this mass test.
2 Likes

These changes are now on Singularity

2 Likes

Kind of funny you are doing an audio test, when CCP have yet to fix the sound positioning on EVE. All the sounds are flipped and coming out the wrong side of the headphones.

I’m going to try and be there for the test.

Please expand upon what is meant by “try to avoid explosions”

Thanks.

1 Like

Do the turrets on fighters count for this test?

Dont massively shoot a ship just to make it go kaboom

Doubt it, they arent the same as what they wanna test

Mostly to avoid killing other ships, but it also relates to missiles.

As far as I can see they are partially affected, but they are not using all the new
features. So feel free to bring them (but we don’t need too many of them).

Thank you for the reminder! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I had the feeling that projectile turrets were WAY to loud. I could clearly hear them even when I was zoomed out completely.

Small energy turrets, to silent.
Medium energy turrets, ok.
Large energy turrets nice beefy. :slight_smile:
I didn’t really hear the turret “movement sounds”.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree. Small energy turrets only noticeable, when not near other ships. I could not hear them arrange on a new target. Also, I had clipping when zoomed in.

I couldn’t get the differences between shield, armor and hull were as well.

1 Like

I used XL Blasters, I could not really hear them over the general chaos of all the other turrets, mainly just when they were moving around. I feel like I heard the Projectiles and the mechanical sounds of turret movement and hits over everything else, with the odd laser “POING” here and there. I could not tell any different between Shield, armor, and hull being hit.

2 Likes

Large Hybrid Turrets sound great.
Triglavian ships might be a bit silent I think .
Edencom sounds great.

I can hear that the projectile bullet sounds differ when they hit different parts (shield, armor), but they were so loud I couldn’t hear the slight differences with the other ships.

1 Like

Medium beams sounds good)

1 Like

I missed the mass test unfortunately. Did not realize it started an hour ago. I was used to it starting at 1 PM EST.

I flew a hybrid blaster comet.

• I did not notice a difference between shield, armor, and hull damage, though I may have missed it or it may have been drowned out by other noises from other ships.
  • The effect of zoom on impact sounds was fine overall. Zooming in and out sufficiently changed the volume of impact noises in my opinion.
  • I did not catch any turret movement noises, though that may be due other noises drowning them out, or the size of the guns (small hybrids)/short lock time.

Other feedback:

• when first shooting the structure, there was a background static or crunchy noise that went away at some point partway through the structure part of the test.
2 Likes

Small beams sounded fine to me. Sounds overall we’re pretty awesome throughout the fights. It’s been awhile since I’ve been in that large a fleet battle. Zooming in and out changed volume levels as expected. Not much in the way of lag.

1 Like

I flew a Thorax with 5x Medium Hybrid Turrets and my normal activities are not PvP or fleet fights, however I endeavoured to concentrate on the specific aspects of the test.

A) Mechanical Movement Sounds

I listened for these very intently during the fleet actions around the Tatara and in the fleet fight and couldn’t hear them. I could see the turrets moving as I was locking and unlocking targets, changing targets, and swinging my ship around to force the turrets to traverse longer, however I couldn’t hear the audio above all the other noises even after turning my audio volume up well above normal.

After the fleet fight I experimented in a quiet location, targeting a cargo container, and then I could hear the movement sounds. From that testing I think the sounds are too quiet in general, but also that they are audible from a bit too far away.

It’s hard to specify how far, however I’d suggest perhaps a 10% reduction in audible range, but a hefty boost to audio volume whilst in range.

As for if they would be overwhelming in a fleet fight, I’m leaning towards no – if I could hear the audio in the fleet fight and I was only hearing my own ship’s turret movement sounds, the turrets don’t spend enough time in that mode even with rapid target switching. This may be different for a ship with much slower turrets.

B) Could I to tell the difference between the sounds of impacts hitting shield, armor and hull?

For shots hitting me, no, in the fleet fight there was too much other audio and the only sounds that stood out for my own ship were the low shield and armour alerts.

For shots hitting other ships, yes I think I could tell there was a difference although it’d take time specifically listening to that audio to be able to say, blindly, what was associated with what.

C) Do I feel like I can hear impact sounds when zoomed to far out? Or, do I feel like I need to zoom in too much to hear them?

At the Tatara, particularly when shooting at CCP’s dread, I was ~44km away and all I could hear (either focussed on my own ship, or on the dread) unless I zoomed way out were impact sounds.

They were far too loud, audible at far too great a range.

The audio also didn’t seem to fade with distance – I’d zoom out and I could tell that the audio was abruptly dropping off, esp. on the Tatara and larger ships. The effect of this was that the audio was very loud, then one more zoom notch later the audio just wasn’t there, when I’d expect a smooth transition from very loud to very quiet as I zoomed in and out.

I hope the above feedback is of use.

2 Likes

I participate in the mass test yesterday but not recive any
skillpoints. Whats the matters? I participate like “fabada asturiana23”

Give them time to distribute them.

Thank you all for helping with this mass test and especially those, who wrote up feedback! We identified several problems based on this mass test and the team is currently working on improvements based on this.
2M Skill points have been applied now to 156 character on Singularity.