Mass Test on Singularity Thursday, 15th of August, 1700-1830 (so nice we ran it twice)

Greetings Bug-Hungry Capsuleers,

On the 9th of July, we ran a successful playtest against our upcoming Carbon features ; thanks to the help of our bright-eyed and bushy-tailed capsuleers, we were able to identify, iterate and improve on our feature set. In that spirit, we are once against asking for your help and are planning another mass test on Singularity on the 15th of August, 2024, from 17:00 to 18:30 UTC (VIP will be lifted for general access at 1630.)

Event Details:

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU’RE USING DX12 ON PC

What exactly is being tested?

• Raytraced Shadows – Last year we upgraded the shadow system used by EVE Online to allow an unlimited amount of shadows, along with improving their visual quality. Raytraced shadows further improves the visual quality, along with being more performant on many graphics cards due to the hardware acceleration they offer.
  • Upscaling – Solutions from Nvidia (DLSS), AMD (FSR), Intel (XeSS) and Apple (MetalFX) have been brought to the client! Upscaling can help increase the game framerate in busy scenes by allowing the game to render at a lower resolution, before being upscaled to a higher resolution. The client will only present the ones that are available for your system based on your GPU hardware, drivers, and operating system.
  • GPU Driven Pipeline – At Fanfest 2023 we announced that we were working towards a GPU-driven pipeline. While the linked Youtube video will explain it in more detail, this change allows your GPU to be used more effectively by reducing CPU involvement in rendering. While it is dependent on the system hardware, on systems with a balanced CPU and GPU, this can lead to a significant frame rate improvement.
  • There are other various improvements, including some fixes to flickering, anti-aliasing improvements when under motion, and general stability improvements.

We want to test the performance and stability of these changes with a wider audience and need your help!

How to connect to Singularity for this test:

• Change the server from Tranquility to Singularity in the top right corner of the launcher and log in as normal.
  • More detailed instructions are available here.

Test Instructions:

• In graphics settings, set Shadow Quality to “Raytraced” (may be missing on older GPUs)
  • In graphics settings, turn on Upscaling and choose a method among FSR3, XeSS or DLSS. If you are on macOS, please select MetalFX
  • Join the in-game channel masstesting. Instructions are in the MOTD.
  • Move yourself to FD-MLJ (type /moveme in any chat window and then select FD-MLJ the list)
  • Join fleet W or X through fleet finder
  • Wait for the test to start for further instructions

What else should I know?

• If an issue is discovered, LogLite is invaluable in diagnosing ; please be sure to have LogLite running with the client (from the launcher > settings > tools / cache > run loglite with client).
  • DLSS is currently disabled for DX11 due to a stability issue. We are working with Nvidia to resolve this.
  • FSR2 has been removed entirely and has been replaced with FSR3. FSR1 is still available for older GPUs.
  • 15,000 Evermarks will be rewarded on Tranquility for participating.
  • Not everything has been localized yet, so you may see words like “Raytraced” in the graphical settings menu in English only.
  • We strongly recommend updating to the latest GPU drivers. For macOS, the latest OS version that you are able to run.
  • There is no set release date for Tranquility.
3 Likes

Looking forward to this, thanks @Geo_Eclipse_Oksaras

Very suspicious. There’s always a bunch of beaters collected data on the other servers. They should be on the lookout for bot-aspirant behavior like a bunch of miner’s trying to multi-box white glaze or
those people who look for all the leaks, like that stuff with R̶u̶d̶y̶ the Zarzakh gates.

1 Like

The way ccp handles the test server now, if you arent trying to actually participate in the test, they’ll remove you from the server.

Idk why i was tagged, unless they are on our discord where i shared this

Cool beans

I will carve out the time to be there. Look forward to seeing this and how how well it works.

To be fair, going to Zarzakh would be the ultimate test for this update. The system always horrendously tanks FPS

Hi @CCP_TrashMob

I figure asking you this is a long shot, but after the first mass test I reported an issue and I want to test to see if it has been resolved; however, a 4:30 am mass test is very brutal so I don’t want to show up and screw my sleep schedule if it hasn’t been looked at. -

I would check the online bug reporting tool to see if my report has been attached to a known issue, marked as duplicate, etc., but that tool has been “temporarily broken” for over a year. Is there any chance you can check internally to see if any attention has been put to this issue yet?

Description: When running Carbon on a multi-monitor 4K setup, I had better performance than I did on TQ on the first client; however, whichever client did not have focus would slow down to 1 or 2 FPS and then freeze completely. GPU / CPU resources weren’t reporting a bottleneck.

Where are you that you are 12 hours behind ccp??

Nevermind, 430am friday the 16th youre in new zealand

1 Like

That’s it!

It took me two days to recover from the last mass test xD

id like to know how running DLDSR 2.25 along with DLSS quality feels :slight_smile:

It works very nicely in many games like RDR2 where I drop the outdated dlss with a newer one but what will make it break it for me will be how the UI behaves

Hi Nyx,

I found your report, and it looks like unfortunately we were not able to reproduce it in-house for further diagnosis ; I’ll ask the team to keep an eye on it and we’ll see if it’s still happening and if so, what’s causing it.

1 Like

Okay, I’ll do my best to show up tomorrow and get more logs. No promises though as the mass test is at an ungodly time.

Had DLSS on and switched to another upscaling variant and had an instant termination of the session. Tried switching multiple times after a restart and that all went well.

I just tested performance with 36 characters. With FSR 3 on ultra performance, and minimum settings across the board I blue screened twice. It looked like I was bottlenecking before the blue screen (low \ high spikes).

With dlss upscaling on performance, I had very high GPU usage, so didn’t even load all the characters. I could see it wasn’t usable.

With FSR 1, GPU usage was low (around 43%), but CPU seemed just as high as before.

My best CPU performance came with upscaling turned off completely, with RTX4090 stable, but slightly higher usage then FSR 1. Around 65%. This is my current preference as it stands.

I couldn’t do much more in the limited time of the test.

The test has now concluded ; thank you all who participated, we managed to collect much meaningful information around the new changes. If you did experience a crash and had your Loglite running, please reach out to ISD LookupTable with your EBR and ask them how best to forward it along to us here at CCP.

Until next time, fly safe o7

1 Like

15,000 Evermarks have been given to those who participated. Thanks to everyone who took part and have a good weekend.

1 Like