Singularity was updated today with new code and included is a little feature we have been working on that we’d like to ask you for some feedback on and help with testing, especially if you are active in helping newbros with their first steps in EVE.
At Fanfest and EVE Vegas events, we have a few times heard the wish from you guys to be somehow be able point a player to a specific thing on their screen. At EVE Vegas 2018, this was once again brought up, and that got us thinking more about it, and we came up with something we hope will meet your use cases without allowing for griefing or inconveniencing other players.
This feature is scheduled to be released in the May release.
Before going more into it, I should state that this feature has not been slated for any release right now, we just want to start getting your feedback and see where it goes.
So this is how it works
- A new window, Pointer Window, which lists many common UI element has been added
- Currently this window can only be opened by a shortcut (Windows>OpenPointerTool)
- From this window, you can drag any of the listed elements to chat (or the Notepad or other text fields) and a link is created
- When anyone then clicks this link, a UI pointer is created on their client, pointing to the element (if the element is visible on the screen). If the element is not visible, a message is displayed to say so.
- The new window does not have be open for the link to work
- These links have their own color and are blue.
- The pointers created will time out after 2 seconds, but the links can always be clicked again.
- The new window has a mode where the UI elements you can point to are highlighted with blue frames. Holding down CTRL while mousing over those highlighted elements will find the corresponding element in the new window.
- The universal search will return UI elements if they are found
You can currently point to the following
- All Neocom buttons (those not in the Necom itself will point to the E, with extra info on what subgroup they are in)
- Most Selected Items buttons (we removed some POS buttons we didn’t feel were needed)
- Autopilot Settings
- Cargo Hold Button
- Drone Settings
- Drone Window
- Effects Bar
- First Person Camera
- Fleet Broadcasting Icons
- Fleet Settings
- HUD Settings
- Info Panel
- Module Slots
- Neocom Menu
- Notification Feed
- Orbit Camera
- Overview Settings
- Station Services
- Stop Ship
- Tactical Camera
- Tactical Overlay
- Undock Button
Update: The following pointers have been added in a development branch:
- Station service buttons (which are not a part of the Neocom)
- Clock and Calendar
- Open Channel Window(through + button)
- Current Fit
- Pilot Service Tab
- Augmentations Tab
- Standing tab in Charactersheet
- Target Anchor
- Inventory View buttons
- Fits (in fitting window)
- Recruitment Tab
- My Applications Tab
- Color Setting in map
- Contract Availability Filter
- Variation Tab
- Fleet Finder Tab
- Fleet Finder Settings
- Route in Info Panels
The general idea is that people helping others can say things like
- “Ok, now open the Overview Settings ” instead of “Ok, to open the Overview Settings, click on the little icon in the upper left corner of the Overview”.
- “To change route to shortest open the Autopilot Settings” rather than "Ok, you know where you see the current solarsystem in the left hand side of the screen? Below that it says ‘Route’, and there is an A icon next to it, click on that."
Example of clicking the Fleet link (when the button is not in the Neocom)
Are there more elements you would like to be able to point to?
Please share your thoughts and feedback
Chat is listed in the window, but the link does not work(fixed internally)
Neocom buttons under the “overflow arrow” can’t be pointed to(fixed internally)
Neocom menu pointer points up rather than to the side(fixed internally)
There is some logspam (don’t worry about it)(fixed internally)
The Effects bar can only be pointed to if there is something in it.(fixed internally)
The highlight frames are not correctly updated when docking/undocking(fixed internally)
- There is a “Reload window” button at the top of the Pointer Window that normally should not be there.
List of other suggested UI elements (from this thread):
- Acceleration gate