Megathron?

I got bored of using sniper MJD boats and sentries so I decided to make brawlers. It takes a little long due to travelling time but it’s more engaging.
Highs:
neutron blaster cannons
nos

Mids:
MWD
Large Cap Battery (Thukker)
Web or Grappler
Cap Rechargers

Lows:
Dead space Repper (expensive but essential)
2 x resistant amps (dead space ain’t expensive)
Mag stabs
Cap power relays

Rigs:
Nano pump
Cap rigs X2

I pulse MWD to get into range then open up with my blasters. I have hobgoblins for stuff that gets to close. Ogres and medium web drones if needed.

I loved it.

1 Like

Use my fit Kronos. But I have better parameters for LAR and magnetic stabilizers by applying abyss modes to them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: and “5th” implants armor\capacitor & navigation or CA series :upside_down_face:
[Kronos]
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Damage Control II
Reactive Armor Hardener
Federation Navy Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane \ or track enh
Core X-Type Large Armor Repairer

Gist X-Type 500MN Microwarpdrive
Tracking Computer II, Optimal Range Script
Large Micro Jump Drive

Neutron Blaster Cannon II, Null L
Salvager II
Salvager II
Small Tractor Beam II
Bastion Module I

Large Hybrid Burst Aerator II
Large Ionic Field Projector II

Hornet II x5
Hobgoblin II x5
Tracking Speed Script x2
Void L x3000
Null L x4500
:100:

1 Like

Yes you can do level 4 missions in a Megathron. You’ll find it easier in a navy Mega. A Kronos or Vindicator will of course be the best level 4 mission running ships for the Megathron hull type. You could use rails or blasters, but you’ll need to adjust your fit and play style accordingly. Remember the range bonuses of bastion mode if you opt for a Kronos. With the right ammo you can likely get decent range on blasters.

1 Like

I mainly using my kronos for running l4 missions now that I have stopped running incursion sites… with that being said I think that I have a fit for the navy mega that can be adapted to run L4s, it is a former incursion boat…

[Megathron Navy Issue, USS Nimitz A]

Corpum A-Type Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane
Corpum A-Type Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane
Core A-Type Large Armor Repairer
Republic Fleet Tracking Enhancer
Republic Fleet Tracking Enhancer
Reactive Armor Hardener
Shadow Serpentis Magnetic Field Stabilizer

Shadow Serpentis Tracking Computer
Shadow Serpentis Sensor Booster
Shadow Serpentis Stasis Webifier
Core X-Type 500MN Microwarpdrive

Neutron Blaster Cannon II
[Empty High slot]

Large Anti-Explosive Pump II
Large Hybrid Metastasis Adjuster II
Large Targeting System Subcontroller II

Hammerhead I x8
Hobgoblin I x9

This should help if you are still interested in a fit… the tank is a little pricey though

You will most certainly find using Railguns is the way to go with running level 4’s in a hybrid platform. Most NPC spawns will occur well out of blaster range and with a decent Railgun fit you will whack them without the need to reposition. The range advantage offered by rails over blasters also offers you the ability to fit less tank. Personally I find two normal hardeners, a faction rep, and a pulsing afterburner enough to tank full level 4 rooms. Your damage projection with rails is much better aswell. In a level 4 mission you should be looking at your effective damage around 40 km if you are fast, otherwise 60 km if you are slow.

[Megathron, Megathron PvE - Level 4 Missions - Railgun]

Federation Navy Large Armor Repairer
Armor Thermal Hardener II
Armor Kinetic Hardener II
Adaptive Nano Plating II
Capacitor Power Relay II

Federation Navy 100MN Afterburner
Large Compact Pb-Acid Cap Battery

425mm Railgun II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge L

Large Capacitor Control Circuit I
Large Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Large Nanobot Accelerator I

Hammerhead II x2
Hobgoblin II x1
Ogre II x2

To illustrate my point regarding Railguns vs Blasters, see below;
(Top represents the above fit, using CNAnM, Middle represents above fit but NBC II with Null L, and bottom represents NBC II with CNAnM. I have not included void as your effective damage over time if you are having to hit within 15km in a level 4 means you might aswell run it in a tank bonused battlecruiser)

With that in mind, here are my suggested fits for the megathron hulls in order of ascending value, after the standard issue above.

[Megathron Navy Issue, Megathron Navy Issue PvE - Level 4 Missions - Railgun]

Centus C-Type Large Armor Repairer
Reactive Armor Hardener
Armor Kinetic Hardener II
Armor Thermal Hardener II
Capacitor Power Relay II

Federation Navy 100MN Afterburner
Heavy Stasis Grappler II
Shadow Serpentis Tracking Computer, Optimal Range Script

[Empty High slot]

Large Capacitor Control Circuit II

Hobgoblin II x5
Ogre II x5

Out of all the T1 hulls I think the Navy Issue is the best. For +/- 65m ISK you are sacrificing a little over 100 DPS in the guns compared to a vindicator, but have the ability to fit a heavy grappler (not useful on vindicator) as well as an auxiliary flight of light drones should your heavies not be able to hit anything the grappler has retarded to a stop. Its a utility often overlooked.

[Vindicator, Vindicator PvE - Level 4 Missions - Railgun]

Centus B-Type Large Armor Repairer
Centus C-Type Armor Kinetic Hardener
Centus C-Type Armor Thermal Hardener
Centii C-Type Adaptive Nano Plating

Core C-Type 100MN Afterburner
Cap Recharger II
Dark Blood Stasis Webifier

Ogre II x5

Slightly faster than the Navy issue, but with an AB its negligable (you’re only using the AB to mess enough with NPC tracking, and to moderately make your way toward any gates while you hit everything with near 100% accuracy on the way). You’re missing a flight of light drones and using a grappler wastes the webifying bonus (although you could use it if you wanted). You do get a bit more DPS.

Now we can consider the big boy Kronos. Even in Bastion I would recommend Railguns. Using the fit Illustrated at the bottom (with NBM II or 425mm RG II) please see the below graphs demonstrating my point.

Kronos - Railguns
(Top is CNAnM, Bottom is Javelin)

To no ones surprise, CNAnM performs better than Javelin, applying 1000 DPS (including hammerhead II) at 60km, vs 50km for javelin, with a better fall off to boot.

Kronos - Blasters
(Top is CNAnM, Bottom is Null)

Showing here that Null is better than CNAnM, by having an extra 10km effective range.

So the assessment with the Kronos is either using blasters loaded with Null, or railguns loaded with CNAnM. I guess then it depends on the missions you are running, but personally I find 1000 dps at 60km superior given most spawns occur at or beyond that range. Remember you are also in bastion, so with blasters you have to wait until the NPC’s get to you, which can take some time.

Anyway, here is a “poorfit” Kronos, to be honest you don’t need to pimp out the tank at all, focus instead on getting good tracking computers and magstabs on there, and also damage implants. Feel free to use an MJD instead of the afterburner, I just prefer afterburners as you don’t have to worry about tank in a marauder, and acceleration gates are never around 100km away.

[Kronos, Kronos PvE - Level 4 Missions - Railgun & Afterburner]

Corpus C-Type Large Armor Repairer
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Reactive Armor Hardener
Capacitor Power Relay II

Gist C-Type 100MN Afterburner
Heavy Stasis Grappler II

Small Tractor Beam II
Salvager II
Salvager II
Bastion Module I

Large Hybrid Collision Accelerator II

Hammerhead II x5

The standard megathron hull is an extremely viable mission boat, it returns similar numbers to amarr ships which in their relevant space really do shine. You just have to use railguns. To be honest I feel the vindicator is wasted on level 4 missions, you’re better off fitting it for incursions. Use a megathron navy issue instead if you want an expensive t1 hull, but don’t be concerned about using a standard megathron, which definitely have their place as a decent railgun boat (and are probably better suited for missions). Compared to the hyperion, you are simply loosing out on drone DPS. The Hyperions tank bonus does not really contribute much, and that drone DPS is less applicable unless the Hyperion uses sentries (no flight time), in which case weapon DPS needs to be sacrificed for greater tank. Once all factors are considered, the Megathron and Hyperion are comparable and there seems to be no advantage or disadvantage of running one over the other. I would recommend flying the standard megathron hull and aim for a Kronos eventually, don’t waste your money on the navy issue or vindicator (both better suited for PvP and fleet PvE than they are for missions).

Absolutely, with blasters it melts NPC’s quickly.

When you finally get on top of them…

MJD helps. Just sayin’.

NPC groupings never spawn within 70-130km of each other, so you can easily mjd and keep jumping out of range and then have to make your way to them. With rails you don’t have to do any of that and still have great DPS at 60km.

If you did not skip elementary school in your youth, you don’t have to “make your way”. You just jump out at your own optimal and just, u’now, kill the trash.

It took me a while to realize, that range bonus on Caldari ships is, in effect, a damage bonus, since you can deliver heavier ammo to the same optimal at which you would otherwise have to use Iron. Thorium @90km? Naga says “yes, please.”

Says I missed elementary and then goes on to agree with me that range is better than a pure dps value in pyfa or eft…

Thank you for confirming that railguns are superior to blasters

“For PvE” (and specifically for rather static PvE like missions), that’s for sure.

[Praxis, Simulated Praxis Fitting]
Capacitor Flux Coil II
Capacitor Flux Coil II
Capacitor Flux Coil II
Damage Control II
Co-Processor II
Missile Guidance Enhancer II
Co-Processor II

Multispectrum Shield Hardener II
Shield Boost Amplifier II
Large Cap Battery II
Shield Boost Amplifier II
X-Large Shield Booster II

Heavy Missile Launcher II
Dual 425mm ‘Scout’ Autocannon I

Large Capacitor Control Circuit I

Imperial Navy Praetor x9

EMP L x4868
Scourge Auto-Targeting Heavy Missile I x20000
Scourge Fury Heavy Missile x2355
Scourge Heavy Missile x8424

61km missile range, 543dps with scourge fury, 246.4hp/s active rep, uni resists @70%, fully capable of repping under a full rack of neuts on a Bhaalgorn, great for PVE AND PVP.

???

The guy wants to fly a megathron hull and you come in with a praxis championing less DPS at 60km, and less tank?

Somebody found a way to copy/paste fittings, it seems.

@ Gaius_Mileghere dude, noob fittings are in the next thread.

1 Like

It depends on your playstyle. Rail Kronos can be a fun sniper fit. If you are doing full clears tho, a blaster Kronos can be more efficient for that.

Drop MTU, bastion up, agro entire room, and while all the npc’s are coming to you, kill smallest to largest, furthest to closest. By the time you’ve cleaned up the furthest BS’s, all that’s left are the close orbiting BS’s and you just melt them with Void. And the whole while, your MTU is looting, your salvage drones are salvaging, and your tank is tanking. Blasters have great tracking which often score crits, and rarely need to send out combat drones. Usually I’m killing so fast I have to assist with a fitted tractor beam and T2 salvager. Destroying and clearing all in one quick pass. :sunglasses:

“dude” that fit pattern on a gnosis beat the snot out of an entire corp.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.