Mining Attacks

why do people seem to go nuts when a lone mining ship gets in system. it seems like everyone in system attacks them. is it just because they are the easiest target in eve?

Can you explain this, NH96? Do you mean a lone mining ship being attacked by other miners (‘everyone in system’) or are you referring to gankers?

Either way, I shouldn’t think it’s all that common - not where I live, in Highsec, for example.

Thanks.

gankers and gate campers

In Highsec, neither gate camping nor ganking is particularly common, except in and around a few well-known systems, I guess.

Mining vessels used to be easier to gank; my 3 paid-up accounts were sufficient most of the time. Now, I can’t really indulge my play style at all with fewer than 4 Omega accounts, and for many exhumers and above, I really need 5 minimum. It gets costly!

Does this mean that your thread isn’t about ‘Mining’ but rather about ‘Ganking and Gate Camping’?

Thanks anyway for making it clear.

it’s about how miners can’t defend themselves

Ok, thanks NH96, I get it now.

sitting ducks

1 Like

You’re only a sitting duck if you are AFK or not paying attention…

4 Likes

Your best defense is not being on grid when the gankers land. And in order to do that, you have to pay attention…

2 Likes

and how do you know if they are a ganker? anyone can and probably is a ganker.

1 Like

Well for starters certain corps are more focused on ganking (like Safety) so you can set them to red. If they have low sec status that also might be a clue, especially if they’re being chased by faction police. Their ship is also a clue, something like a catalyst or thrasher is more likely to be a ganker since those have high DPS for their price tag. You can also fit tank modules, but that’s more of a last resort.

3 Likes

You should give mining in low sec or null sec space a try!

You would quickly learn how to stay alive without being a sitting duck by:

• knowing how to use dscan
  • knowing how to align your ship out when you sense danger
  • being able to sense danger by looking at local chat and the directional scanner
  • having local chat open at all times so you know who is in system with you
  • knowing to mine in lesser often traveled systems, as this makes it easier to keep an eye on the other players
  • recognising the few regulars in your system that don’t attack you and the ones that do

You would at first lose a few ships, so try to keep it cheap (Ventures), but eventually you will have learned how to survive without being a sitting duck.

CONCORD won’t protect you in high sec space, they’re just there as a guaranteed response fleet that could make it unprofitable for people to gank you if you choose the right fit. Don’t rely on them, but rely on your own bag of tricks to survive.

Fly safe!

3 Likes

Thanks for amending the thread title; now you’re getting relevant responses. I hope they help you.

1 Like

have you seen his killboard? :slight_smile:
a Mackinaw in 0.2 sec is like having a big flag out that says “shoot me” (or “Bait”)

1 Like

almost not worth going to T2 mining then. just paints a large target on your back.

1 Like

Indeed, it can be a better choice to use a Barge instead of an Exhumer depending on the circumstances.

Exhumers do make attractive targets and are also a lot more expensive to replace.

On the other hand, Exhumers do have more yield than a Barge though, so depending on how often you have to replace your mining ship one or the other will be more profitable. If you generally live long enough for the Exhumer’s extra yield over a Barge’s yield to pay for the additional cost of the Exhumer, keep flying those T2 miners!

Also as someone who does occasionally shoot mining ships - while I would be happy to drop on Exhumers, I wouldn’t say no to dropping on Barges either. An Interceptor fleet like the one that caught you also wouldn’t care and was probably out there to catch anything that they could regardless of how expensive your ship was.

In other words, the increased price doesn’t always paint a target on your back. The fact that you’re out there in space is often enough to make you a target.

So try to pay attention to the intel channels, be in standing fleet, watch local chat and prepare to warp out when you see suspicious ships on your directional scanner.

2 Likes

I’ve lost lots of mining ships, mostly in nullsec. Almost every time it’s because I wasn’t paying attention to local, D-scan, intel, etc. Stay apprised of your surroundings, and be prepared to warp out. In highsec you have to be suspicious of most everyone, because you don’t know who is a ganker and who isn’t. In nullsec it’s very easy to tell who is on your side and who isn’t, and if an ally shoots you, it’s usually pretty easy to get reimbursed.

People will definitely attack miners before other ships because mining ships usually don’t have much in the way of defense. You can pin them down, neut them out, defang them as needed, then go to work on the shield, armor, and hull. The best defense is to move out to nullsec, join an alliance, stay on intel, and when you’re actually mining, stay aligned out and ready to warp off before a hostile player lands on grid.

4 Likes

I mine all the time sometimes on my own. Some times with my wife. I mine in lowsec with my corp. I blow the rats out of the sky pretty regularly with my venture. If I so much as suspect a ganker has landed on grid. i am gone that quick.

It’s called situational awareness and not being AFK. Unless you are multiboxing and can afford to lose a ship or two. New Eden is a dangerous place. We all take our chances when undocked. It is not a game that easily forgives mistakes or being forgetful.

2 Likes

Then how do they survive?

2 Likes

Yes, mining in Lowsec or Nullsec requires pilots to adopt the measures you mention.

The problem with Highsec dwellers is that they don’t think they should have to behave in this way. They think they should be protected and that if they are required to pay attention, etc., there’s no advantage in playing in Highsec.

It’s really difficult to get through to them the ‘nowhere is safe’ message. Instead of adjusting their behavior, they come onto the Forum and whine about the ‘unfairness’ of it all.

3 Likes