Mining in an Orca

It does not seem make sense to afk mine in an orca no matter how you fit it. 17 m3/s if you fit for tank and use T2 mining drones. Mining Veldspar, which is a decent high sec ore, that comes to:

17 m3 / 0.1 m3/unit = 170 units
17 isk/unit * 170 units = 2.89k isk/s
So 10.4 m isk/h

Price of 500 PLEX = 1.85b
Hours of mining needed = 1.85b/mo/10.4m/h = 178 h/mo
That is 44.5 h/wk just to break even.

Someone with a day job would probably need to bot to make it possible to profit from this.

1 Like

It has always been a calculated risk. One that now has a lot more added uncertainty. Of the last 20 orca kills in hi sec, and that were recorded on zKillboard, 10 were from NPCs.

As to player kills, at least 4 were from wardecs. Suggesting the risk from ganking is not actually that great in relative terms. Add in the fact that at least one(?) of the other kills was in Jita, then risk of ganking whilst mining is further reduced. (Small sample size, obviously.)

Finally, because the OP has not mentioned AFK once in this thread, the point is probably moot anyway. Plus, no one has mentioned PLEXing either. Why would you think that was the only way to “profit”? That’s RL-thinking.

Probably because I can’t imagine anyone doing it for fun.

AFK is implied because “Mining in an Orca.” There was a thread about 20-Orca mining fleets. My post was addressing that type of play.

Even as a fleet booster with 5 tank skiffs, the iph is ~22m isk/h/character mining Veldspar. But if you are non-afk, you can also mine moon ore from time to time, so the iph may be a little better.

LoL. Fair enough.

I do, and it is. But also that bit riskier again, because of slower Concord response time in 0.5.

I didn’t suggested to use T2 rigs and especially ‘Augmented’ drones. T2 large rigs costs as much as a T1 BS. ‘Augmented’ drones are just too easy to lose by any circumstances, especially in a multibox fleet. It can work in a dead end system by watching your stuff. Just those addition 7 m3/s don’t worth the addition risks and expendables for it. As soon you’ll reveal an Orca fleet fitted properly, all gankers will leave their daily random targets and will camp your site.

Let’s consider that AFK mining isn’t true AFK until you aren’t going to use bots for it. AFK mining requires to check and change stances time to time, until you doing your basic things, right? Most safe moon mining happens in 0.5-0.6 sec-systems, where a lot of things also happens. Therefore, T1 rigs and T2 Mining Drones are the best options for AFK mining in those locations for risks/rewards ratio.

As for me, Orca is a good and a bad ship at the same time. I used it for many different purposes. I like it because it can be fitted in so many different ways (for PVE, PVP, nomadic journey), it’s cheaper to learn into and can mine as much as an average Exhumer. It’s a bad vessel for solo mining and it’s a terrible ship to harvest ice. But it’s pretty good one for safe multibox AFK mining moon ore. Just think about it differently. It’s not a tool to make ISK, it’s a tool to freely and safely produce resources in game.

As @Dom_Arkaral once noticed on this forum: “Solo mining is evil”, I’ll add : “Time expensive and counterproductive mining is evil”. Human’s IRL life hour is just too expensive nowadays… just check your monthly bills. In my opinion, modern mining should be AFK or semi-AFK and multiboxed in one or another way. Orca fleets doing it very well in hi-sec and no need to buff or nerf anything there, while in null-sec or wh there should be some changes. Barges and Exhumers requires just to much logistic attention for this. There should be a vessel between Orca and Rorqual for this purpose. But it requires a much better anti-bot system.

1 Like

I deliberately chose T2 and drones in anticipation of your second statement, and in order to also test it. I disagree with you. For me, flying a single orca, the additional risks and expendables are worth it.

I agree about the T2 drones as there was always a risk that NPCs would kill ‘augmented’ drones, ever since I have been flying ( for 2 years).

The rest of your comments are interesting enough that I have no opinion about them, one way or another.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.