Mining Mercoxit

If only ccp would have added that ore blockade runner so ninja mining like that could have been profitable.

Ore BR and DST. CCP, please.

Dst wouldn’t add much but the BRs can take blogs bridges

@Popcorn_Dispenser since you didn’t reach out in an Eve mail, I’ll just offer some general advice.

I am with @Pan_Dora1 and think you really need to think through what you mean by “industry costs”, if that is your core motivation.

Since you mention “1 million for 10 morphite” you definitely mean “lower my liquid ISK costs” – which lowers the amount of capital you need – and are ignoring “lower my time costs”. EvE Online’s economic output is akin to real life: Capital + Time = Output. Unlike a themepark MMO that has no risk of loss where it is simply Time = Output. I think what Pan Dora was trying to get you to do was analyze buying morphite from the market vs mining mercoxit to directly use yourself, both capital and time costs:

Buying from market to manufacture

• Time cost: Going to market
  • Capital cost: Buying Morphite
  • Time cost: Hauling Morphite to the manufacturing site

Mining-To-Manufacture

• Time cost: Skilling up Deep Core Mining & other ship skills (will be amortized)
  • Capital cost: Buying a ship capable of mining Mercoxit (will be amortized – or not, if you lose it)
  • Time cost: Travelling to sites of Mercoxit asteroids
  • Time cost: Mining Mercoxit asteroids
  • Time cost: Hauling Mercoxit from mining location to refinery location
  • Time cost: Skilling up Reprocessing skills (will be amortized)
  • Time cost: Hauling Morphite from refinery location to manufacturing location

Your response to this was:

There is nothing wrong with mining Mercoxit to use it. However, it is not automatically the optimal choice for your goal of “lowering my industry costs”. Heck, I mine Mercoxit and intend to use it, but it is not a great use of my time by any traditional economic metrics. Ninja mining is, however, a bit of fun. And I make sure to remind myself I am doing it for fun, and not because it is lowering my industry costs: I have other ways to make ISK faster, which could buy more morphite more quickly than I could ever mine Mercoxit directly.

It is that conflation of “argument-for-fun” vs “argument-for-economic-optimization” that folks are trying to point out: you appear to have been lulled into the trap of “my capital costs are lower so I’m more industry cost-effective” but it does not account for time (which requires understanding of your opportunity costs).

However, if your reason is instead “I want to do it because it is fun and playing the game”, no one can argue with you. I join others to say: be careful to understand and distinguish the two motivations (fun vs economic optimization, or where they overlap), or you may wind up disappointed in both senses.

3 Likes

This is not my main. I’m using an alt exactly for this. Dodging the ingame… feedback

Considering i lost a prospect and a hurricane doing this, i’d agree with you.

I lost 2 ships and a pod over this idea. Now I understand it’s a null corp thing.

I Omega-ed another account i had, to kill the rats while i mined. Looked good on paper. That is until i faceplanted a bubble and lost both hulls.

As for Mercoxit, i’m not going to try again and the extra account is going back to alpha…

A healthy dose of paranoia, I see. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ouch. Glad you’re sticking with the game though. You’ve “bought” something priceless: the experience. If in the future you ever decide that you want to augment your newfound knowledge with more, my earlier offer of advice still stands.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.