my main arguments for why this would be good are as follows:
- Falls in line with eve’s mindset of active play is better than passive play
- addresses 100% imbalance in ability to use skill to evade/counter game-play
- allows a chance, not guarantee, that a player at the computer can escape a loss
- there is zero way currently for freighters to escape suicide ganking
- this allows for suicide ganking to still be a very viable mechanic in the game (especially against AFK//Autopilot), and makes it so even with a MJD, freighters can still be probed down/warped to/chased down by persistent players.
Arguments against in order of the above:
- people will say "then get an alt and/or get friends to help you.
Response: while eve is geared more towards team play, forcing an individual to activate a second account as a “viable mechanic” is foolish.
- A MJD does not require skill you just activate it.
Response: if you activate it at a poor time, the gankers will just probe you down or use an interceptor to bump you again. which is still a viable action for gankers to use.
- they have a chance if they just use scouts and make friends or use alts.
Response: we all know thats untrue. once you set your eyes on a freighter…they are dead. we all know theres no escape.
- They can escape because it takes a lot of skill to bump a freighter.
Response: LOL we all know thats not true.
- its ridiculous to give freighters even more ability to escape, they already got the 3 modules they can fit in lows.
Response: 5 whole modules. all of which are passive. and none of which actually address “counter game-play” issues.
Suicide ganking is an amazing part of this game that really is an enjoyable activity. I 100% believe suicide ganking should not be removed. however, allowing players to use skills and fittings to have a chance to evade is not a bad thing. AFK pilots will still get what they deserve. people who misuse the modules will get what they deserve. Lastly, as all other real ships in the game (excluding shuttles) have active modules or some sort of “counter game-play” mechanic (EX: PANIC modules, Hull Energizers, Cloaks, MJD, Etc)…why should freighters be the ONLY ship with no counter-play available?
the one and only reason is because going whaling is too easy and too much fun, and too one sided and we all know it.