Monthly Economic Report - July 2021

I think you grossly underestimate the number of people playing this game on a regular basis, as well as the number of accounts they have. I mean, SP farms, industrialists, and miners all tend to have large numbers of accounts. And this is in addition to other multiboxers and all the people with capital and cyno alts.

Unfortunately, CCP didn’t list log in rewards in the Isk Sinks/Faucets page, nor does it give a breakdown of money entering or leaving the game thanks to accounts being reclassified as active/inactive. However, if I had to wager a guess, I’d say it’s much closer to 50k accounts that claimed the isk, than it is to 5k.
No P2W

1 Like

I think, from directly dealing with a lot of these guys (and, you know, being one of them), a) a lot of the multiboxers have let a lot of accounts drop out of Omega. And they’re not blowing the ISK for 500 PLEX per account for 235 million. Also? SP farmers don’t login all their accounts every day. They don’t have to. You set it up so there’s a manageable number of accounts that you login each day.

And no, there’s no way 50,000 Omega accounts logged in every single day over that window. Omegas are not the majority of active player accounts right now.

3 Likes

new accounts get some isk in their first 15 days of logging in, as part of the daily log in…
like Day 1, I received 10k Isk, on Day 5 (tomorrow) i’ll get 20k isk, and on day 9, i’ll get 50k isk… for one account it may not seem much, but when you have new accounts logging in every day and hit these waypoints, the total ISK can climb up.

Yeah, that isk does indeed appear on the MER. However, I was specifically referring to the stimulisk.

@Arrendis
True, I do think that a lot of people have allowed their omega accounts to lapse into alpha status (which is probably a contributing factor to low plex prices), and I am in no way insinuating that people will spend 1.3bil on omega just to claim 235mi. That’s absurd. But I can’t believe that they average SP farm isn’t going to take a few minutes out of their day to claim billions of free isk.

Moreover, I still think you underestimate the number of omega accounts. Of course, this is casual observation that should be taken with a grain of salt, but most of the people I know kept playing, and are still omega (they have to be based on what they fly and/or how many accounts they log in at the same time).

Of course, this now has me thinking, if my friends/communities largely remained active, that must mean that other communities were disproportionately hit by inactivity. So, perhaps both of our perspectives are colored by the circles that we are a part of.
No P2W

1 Like

Thank you o7

Lol, what a joke of an economy.

I would bet the isk velocity increase is a surprise but with the war going in July and the need to resupply, I am not surprised. Now if the economy report covered the time that PaPi had to buy up all the isotopes on the markets to jump stuff, it really does not surprise me at all.

The production number going up should be from all the secondary products that are required for everything else. So all that PI/reaction BS.

The mined value is flat because of decrease mineral/ore prices and reduced demand. It also shows that a lot of miners have left. The reason I say that is because a miner will mine to feed their stockpiles no matter what. Mining just is not worth it any more.

1 Like

Edit: I’m being negative again, I swore I was going to stop doing that.
Somehow it keeps happening though.

Cough, cough…

@Arrendis @Shipwreck_Jones

3 Likes

There is Goon on reddit who has calculated that the lower bound on active omega accounts is 63,000. That is slightly more than the 5,000 quoted above.

1 Like

How would I go about calculating population numbers.

3 weeks average is at 20k.
Average session 3-4 hours, lets go with 4.
24hr / 4 = 6 ‘shifts’
6 shifts * 20k = 120k active players, alpha + omega.

That and 9.4T/150M = 63k calculation puts alpha/omega proportion to roughly 50/50. Without it my own guess would be 70 omega/30 alpha.

PS: Yearly average falling from 31k to 20k, times x6 (shifts), means 60k characters left. Half of them probably were omegas.

I’m no economist but if total isk available to players is now higher than it was 5 years ago (when Rorquals and nul ratters made isk hand over fist), does that mean scarcity is working by reducing the amount of isk in the game?

I swear I can read.

1 Like

I think that’s a pretty arbitrary comparator (5 years ago is a long time, the Rorqual age only really ended last year).

The key comparison is with summer 2019 which was essentially the start of scarcity. The available Isk is below that point still.

Of course, scarcity was more about mineral stockpiles than it was raw isk, so there’s that to consider. If you compare the ratting income from Frat home regions from May 2019 and May 2021 though, you will see the impact of the ratting Isk changes quite clearly.

The other thing to consider is that the player available Isk only tracks active players, so if you let a sub lapse and don’t log in with 100tn in the bank, that isk disappears from the graph. That’s why you get those weird peaks and troughs.

Tl;dr - yes, but not for that reason

1 Like

Is there a reason why minerals and ores are not divided into sec origins?
Being a high-sec miner I would find it interesting to see where the money has gone, well we a good idea where but exactly how much.

1 Like

Fair point, and I did miss that. But the 5,000 wasn’t ‘active Omega accounts’, it was 'active Omega accounts who logged in every day during the promotion.

Still for 9.4T, that’d be 40,000, so the 63,000 number sounds about right, and most simply didn’t login every day.

It was 235 million ISK.

In fact, there is!

That reason is that the MER is made using scripts that long predate the mineral changes, and they haven’t been updated basically at all. Which is also why they don’t show Pochven, and why the data includes the ‘into the next month’ bleed-through.

The MER’s basically the hobby project of a dev that I don’t think is even there anymore, now being used by… I want to say Larrikin? but it really does need to be overhauled to be an actually useful tool, not just a curiousity.

Straight to nullsec, through the Perimeter Keepstar. And when the tax changes go away, it’ll go right back to sucking your money to a group that now will include FRT and their massive krab legion. (It already included Goons, so thanks for your ISK.)

If you don’t want to see High-sec money hoovered off into null, let CCP know that they should keep the taxes low. And maybe ban keepstars and faction forts (which can be harder to kill) from highsec. :wink:

1 Like

You clearly didn’t read the thread I linked. The minimum number of omega accounts was 63,000. This MER should not have included the last day of the login campaign and the 63,000 is only accurate if every amount claimed (and possibly - redeemed) all days up to the penultimate one. Otherwise the figure is higher. I suspect far higher.

Right, except—and this isn’t something I fault Angry for, because his financial analysis is damned good, or he wouldn’t be one of our finance directors, the MER includes data through August 9. The Grand Heist ended on Aug 3.

All that data’s already in this MER.

CORRECTION: After talking with Angry, we’ve found the MER data… you guys will love this… the MER window is not consistent. The Faucets and Sinks data ends at 6/30, while the production/destroyed/mined/traded/imported/exported numbers don’t.

The fact that the window of data collection across the MER varies within a single month… that’s actually worse.

1 Like

Funny thing with Mineral Price Index, its consists of “Low-End Minerals” (Tritanium, Pyerite, Mexallon, Isogen), and “High-End Minerals” (Nocxium, Zydrine, Megacite, Morphite), and nothing else.

It does not reflect in my understanding the amount mined for any given period of time, but amount reprocessed.

If you trade and stockpile ores you’re invisible for MER.

Thank you for the correction. To be clear this means that there are >63,000 active omega accounts, assuming all the maths and data is correct. This is reassuring and tells me that all the doom and gloom is not really warranted.

In view of this I have a question: how bad is the situation in Goonswarm (& other null blocks) if you originally believed there was only 5000 (active enough to spend 1min per day claiming isk) omega accounts? You can’t have assumed that goons are more than 20% of the total players, probably at most 10% so that is 500 accounts and most active goons have at least one alt account. So that is 250 - 500 real people. The situation can’t be that bad, surely. You used to be able to fill 2 super fleets alone + 4 - 5 sub caps fleets (mostly hac, jackdaw, ass frig or battleship with t2 guns - ie. Omega) and there would still be people ratting, complaining that they couldn’t make it or simply in a different timezone.

Honestly interested in an answer to this question, has scarcity, the war or another event had that much effect on the null blocks. I don’t see a decline of that scale in low or high sec.

:upside_down_face: it’s all good.