(New) Character Creation System is absolute garbage (Pictures inside)

Isn’t it absolutely amazing, how …

deliberately compiled code
… *which must be structured in place with the rest of future production code … (else you have freaking CHAOS)
which had to be copied form one place to another
bundled with the rest of the compiled code
slips

slips

slips(!!)

onto the production machine, which then executes it.

3 Likes

Would it make more sense knowing it’s all written in Python?

CCP is like the guy at the party who performs a litmus test for starting an orgy by undoing the top few of buttons on his shirt, rubbing his chest, and commenting on how warm the room is.

1 Like

No. The point is that it requires organizing to get this ■■■■ done.
Organization is the whole reason why such things do not actually happen.

If such a “slip” could actually happen …
… there’d be CHAOS!

There’s usually a master branch, which is the current one running …
… and there’s at least one development branch under which everyone’s working.

It’s safe to say they have several development branches belonging to their respective teams.
It’s also relatively safe to say that the team working on this had to have the intention of releasing it into production.

I’m very damn sure that their whole code base isn’t actually just dumped into one gigantic directory.

Then there’s the fact that systems have to interact somehow …
… which means that not only this part of the code had to slip in …
… but also the surrounding code supporting it had to magically slip in.

She’s just talking propaganda …
… and we, here at least, aren’t falling for it.

On the upside, ignoring the propaganda …
at least someone reacts to it.

That’s a massive improvement.

Or maybe it really slipped in …
… which is quite the scary thought. :blush:

… what lol

I dread to think what life must be like as a community manager, when suddenly the forum goes slightly berserk, bad stuff happened and suddenly you find yourself drawn in because somebody tinkered with a mysterious box. It’s a regular Clive Barker story/movie. Thank you for clearing this up :smiley:, on behalf of the purest of bloodlines and also the riff-raff.

So this is CCP scandal that leaked. :joy:

And they stank!

1 Like

If you are on a flagging spree, please also flag the inability to create proper character portraits in the existing character creator. You cannot change pose, lightning or take a picture at all in it at this point in time when you create your char.

1 Like

How long ago did that change? Same time as this?

While you are flagging things, bring the bloodline description tab back, too. And fix the View Full Body bug that is almost certainly related to all of this.

1 Like

My apologies - I read the original post and I thought it was said this was on SISI, not TQ.

I do not recall us being briefed or told that there would be major changes to character creation, although I know that we have had conversations about issues with character creation. Obviously, this is not something that most veterans would be dealing with on a daily basis, so it was not something on my radar.

Mike and I will ask what the deal is with this and we’ll ask for some kind of public statement, since I don’t recall seeing anything about it.

2 Likes

It’s called an A/B test. Something which wasn’t announced because they didn’t want anyone knowing they were doing live tests in production; and rather than reaching out to the community to have them test it on SiSi they just slipped it in.

1 Like

No idea when exactly it could have changed. 5 weeks ago I setup a new character, went through all the char creator steps to setup a nice sinister face for a beautiful mugshot. In the last step, the take a nice picture part, I could not do any settings or changes. I could just accept the bland, starring straight into the camera picture, pretty much the same as STUPID CHARACTER CREATOR.

Hmm thats odd, I updated several alts last week without this issue.

Not doubting you, just reporting different experience.

Updating isn’t the issue. Try creating a new character.

This is the Finalize step when you update a char in the char customization. Notice the settings on the left and right.

This is what happens when you create a new char. Notice the lack of settings on the left and right.

1 Like

If updating involves the creation of new alts, you may have noticed that you cannot pose for a portrait during character creation anymore since some months.

If updating involves taking new pictures for existing alts, you won’t have noticed any change, because taking a new portrait at a station is unchanged.

1 Like

Ah ok will do

The veterans are still the bulk of the players who participate in the forums. Treating the people here the same as you can get away with on well established free-to-play/cash-grab MMO’s is not going to go over well.

Very few people on the forum are going to buy the “slipped in” statement. Most of the vets of the game have been playing long enough that they know a bit more about proper software development processes from the years CCP/player development communication, if not from their own real world educations/experience. Saying this “slipped in” makes the entire dev staff look incompetent, and at the same time gives the impression that you think the player base is ignorant of industry practices for game development and thus can be easily assuaged.

1 Like

yeah, new character creation, you get a straight mugshot. But you can then go and customise pose etc once you’re ingame.

Not sure why this was done either.

C’mon now…

So major changes to an entire system can “just happen” as if someone simply set down their coffee cup on a button and “oopsie, now how did all that happen? Darn”. “Accidently”? Guess it’s a good thing CCP doesn’t run nuclear power plants, then, if such “oopsies” can just “slip right in”.

4 Likes