(New) Character Creation System is absolute garbage (Pictures inside)

See CCP Aurora above, she promised to embark on a quest to find out and return to tell us.

3 Likes

Adventure

1 Like

I have returned from my quest victorious with information!

My earlier statement was in error - while I was unaware of the change, this was because it wasn’t something that was intended for our usual communication channels (yet), but it was intended to go live.

This is part of an A/B test we’re conducting with the character creator. We didn’t announce it or publish anything in the patch notes since for this type of testing we run the risk of corrupted results if curious veteran players start rolling new characters just to check out the feature.

We routinely conduct A/B testing in this way and it usually goes unnoticed but this obviously touches on a particularly significant system and has caught everyone’s attention anyway.

The test started several days ago and will be running over the next few weeks. The things we learn during the test will inform future iteration on the character creator feature, so what you’re seeing right doesn’t fully reflect the finished product. The character creator is one of the key parts in improving the early experience for our new players, a key initiative which we have been focusing on - and talking about - for quite some time.

So for now the test will run it’s course and we’ll have more to say about the character creator after the holidays!

11 Likes

Nothing like paying a sub fee to be a lab rat.

3 Likes

Just wait until CCP decides to perform an “A/B test” for increasing the subscription cost!

3 Likes

Perhaps, but I believe the end goal will be that the game is free to play as a standard, and that the Omega clone state will only have the benefit of the skill bonus and perhaps the ability to multi-box.

Makes one wonder when the A/B test on the :red_circle: will have generated enough data.

3 Likes

Isn’t a feature incomplete character creator without vital context of the world being given to some new players as a test unfair to those new players who are making impossible and difficult to change choices with it?

I really feel bad for any brand new rp-oriented players who get this creator.

Anyway, thank you for looking into it and giving us the information you could.

8 Likes

Yeah, we got stuck up the A from Behind on that one.

2 Likes

This brings up a good point. Will the ppl who used the test version be able to revamp their looks if they want?

1 Like

People paying sub should be exempt from A/B testing (and :red_circle:). Now there’s an idea …

2 Likes

Even if I am not a CSM, I have some questions:

1. Why would CCP publish a “beta” version of a new character creation system to compare it with the old one? Wouldn’t this drive new people away? How is that taken into account in the test?
  2. On what excactly are the two systems compared against each other? Since one is very minimal in design, there might be big differences in timespans used for each step of the character creation. What are the metrics? How often the randomize button is used? I think in the current one it’s much easier to create a character without customisation. How is a player that just creates a new (random) scouting alt compared to a player that is actually new to the game?
  3. Why is the portrait mode still hidden from newer players? It’s basically the only thing of the character “sculpting” process that is been seen in the game.
  4. What is CCPs goal with the bloodline changes excactly? ( more diverse characters in all empires? More creation options? Why is that good and why is that bad? )
3 Likes

And why is there no notice that this can be changed later in station?

1 Like

I don’t even want to start why you create a very cool character to never use it in the actual game. This is just a huge inconsistency. After spending 30 minutes to make the perfect man or woman of your spacesdreams you find out you will never use her again, maybe take a nice picture once a month… oh wait… you don’t even know that is possible :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And related, why do the helpers in the rookie help channel have to answer this question every day ?

And why is it that the same questions and problems in the rookie help channel, clearly an important part of the NPE, never get a permanent fix ? Is it too obvious that fixing these would be a solid win ?

3 Likes

Admit it - You’ve decided the veterans are your enemy.

2 Likes

Coming soon to the cash shop perhaps?

1 Like

Well…

@Mark_Havoc Thanks for catching this and tripping up CCP’s test! Very cool! :sunglasses:

@Evei_Shard and @Xuxe_Xu Thanks for pinning CCP Aurora to the wall and forcing her to confess to the a/b testing! :rofl:

@CCP_Aurora Thanks for replying and being honest! It must have been hard to give up that tidbit of info. I would like to have had a vid of the faces of the team doing this when they were informed they had been caught by the player base. We’ll be on the lookout for this in the future. Maybe

Isnt such a bad idea from CCP’s point of view now. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This was a fun thd for me. A lot of good pro and cons were presented. Everyone was so confused, no one bothered to throw :salt: shakers at each other! (that was a 1st)

It turns out, I care more about what I look like in game than I thought! It made me think back to when I made all of mine and the amount of effort at the time. I chose mine for their attributes, but that was a long time ago, not todays standard version which last I checked gave more freedom.

Turns out, The Dev’s are reading this thd, lol. Maybe they will take notice this time…

Even more so now that we know about the a/b testing! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Don’t give them any more ideas!

1 Like

Why change it, there was nothing wrong with it in the first place…

The only thing we need is more up to date stuff for example…

More hair styles, more tatoos, more clothes and a better selection!

3 Likes