New Eden Industry Strike!

This would stop ganking dead in its tracks.

1 Like

Yes, I am totally evil, you are welcome :slight_smile:.

But speaking seriously, that’s actually based closely enough on reality. This kind of thing has been going for ages, since the trade itself took any meaningful form - on a personal dislike/preference level, tribal/warring nation exclusion or even via meddling governments, passing the laws like “you shall not trade with axis of evil”, whichever one that might be.

In any case, something like that could bring another measure of realism and nonlinearity into an already quite complex game…

Although I really doubt that would dead-stop ganking (I suppose that could have been sarcasm as well, hard to tell from such a short phrase, without voiceover). After all, no respectful merchant would trade (at least in any significant and visible amount) with a know pirate directly. They had to go throgh way more real world hassle to get resupplied (compared by provisioning of “honest” forces, be it proper military, mercs or whatever). Yet, that did not eliminate the piracy even in the slightest. Still, its just a little bit more hassle. But again, the main idea here is to give more opportunity for a more complex play, not to target gankers per se…

Yes it was sarcasm. It is hard to believe that somebody would propose something like this - in a game where everybody has an alt and big private transactions between known entities bypass the market entirely.

Hey hows the Union Formation going?

Ive not been paying attention, gov’munt came took mah stations

1 Like

Just like in real world, yet this mechanism does exist in real world and is employed rather regularly.

As I said, this is not to spite gankers or whoever specifically, but to spice up a game a bit… And yeah, this is just an idea that has rather low chances of being implemented ever, and practically nil in any reasonable future, even if CCP suddenly loves it so much that they put it on their roadmap for whatever reason. But it could be a fun feature to have :slight_smile:

You’re better off not trying to make “real world” comparisons because this is a video game and you’ll start to make assumptions based on things like ethics and morality if you try to make “real world” arguments.

It’ll do you a lot better in the long term of EVE Online if you stayed away from making reeeeeally bad comparisons like this.

1 Like

Not only that, but internet merchandisers don’t care who they sell to - so the comparison is wrong anyway.

1 Like

Well, I’ve created all the usual tools, like discord channel, discussion here, even tried to post on reddit, but as I had a new account I could not post directly to r/eve. I did ask moderators to approve it, but all I got was a bunch of nah/carebear comments from seemingly random people. And that is to an unadvertised post in a personal channel! With the post still not been up… Goes long way to show who moderates r/eve on reddit :slight_smile: . (Oh, even more specifically, the vibe and signatures of responders were kind of full of goons feeling too :slight_smile: ).
So, on my personal side, with the clearly defined rules of first action and all that stuff available I did as much as I could - considering especially the real life time restraintswith new year and new projects starting, etc. Then, it is up to the interested people to actually participate and form some body finally, if this takes off…

But to be fair, there were quite a few people on discord, with some good suggestions. But again, I did what I can realistically do personally, short of spamming local on Perimeter and similar places. Which I might tempt in a limited way. But to carry this on, we need participation. So, I’d advise interested people to take their initiative and spread the word, spam local in nearby systems that are populated, talk about it in your corp/alliance, etc.

And if anybody feels that more action is needed or that they would do better - totally, be my guest, I’ll gladly cede the reigns. I have plenty of real-world stuff going on. Just trying to do what needs to be done here :slight_smile: So, any initiative and action is welcome, No need to wait for an order or suggestion…

PS
Yeah, the relevant tools or posts are all linked up. If that reddit post does go through finally, or something else of import, I’ll link those up too.

Cool

I wish you luck comrade

Ever tried to order certain higher-tech items, services or even simply use certain software outside of US? Ever tried to order things to be shipped to some countries?
It is true, that most market systems do not implement this at present. However it is certainly considered an oversight to be corrected by certain forces in multiple countries. The way things are going presently, you should expect this kind of functionality being on sooner rather than later. Well, in certain sense, if we extend the notion of a sale to include attention for money, favor or information transactions, it is already present in the most widely used systems. Look even at Google, Facebook and others. Real-world highsec is not a happy place to live. Although realworld low and nbll are not any better…

Everything you’ve just said doesn’t matter with regards to EVE Online.

How so? Am I the only one alive person in the game and the rest of players are bots? That would be cool I guess, but I rather doubt it :slight_smile:.

Because EVE Online is a video game and doesn’t follow any of the premises that underlie all of the random hypothetical questions you raised.

But itis made by people and played by people. And it is people who make all those policies… There is no tyrant government and oppressed people, it only a sweet lie. In all such cases, be it Stalinist Russia, present day China or US or pick you own favorite example, there is always the same question - if all people are so nice and oppressed, then who wrote all those millions of anonymous letters/made those secret reports, not so secret hashtags, or whatever was the favorite medium of the time?
This is a game designed by people, played by people and mirroring people’s experience. Everything in this game is very much pertinent to real world. It is a very good model of society, with barriers lifted and certain features modeled way ahead of their implementation in real life… In fact, as such a model, I’d say Eve is way more successful than most of the real societies I could observe, even with all that stuff we consider a mess, each of his own type :slight_smile:.

Are you using evidence of a thing to disprove its existence?

The Flash would be jealous at how fast you moved your goalposts.

You went from:

to:

So? What’s the problem with that? Those “respectful merchants” were not restricting their trade out of some sense of moral integrity or some such, It would simply be more trouble for them to be seen dealing with outcasts. At their heart they were the same hearless selfish bastards as ever, and did do underhanded dealings, just somewhat better hidden and not on a large scale. Eve players are more direct and coherent in this sense :slight_smile:, and actually do present a rather good model o fa “normal human society”…

Eve has less restricted economics, with much more transparent rules and much lower taxes, which contributes heavily to its success, as in been well functional. Having almost no moral restrictions and a possibility to hold an actual open discussion (“as this is just a game”, so who cares about pllitical correctness) is another major factor, perhaps even more important one…